What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: what to do with extended power outage?  (Read 2485 times)

tootsie

what to do with extended power outage?
« on: January 07, 2006, 12:41:06 pm »
If you have an insulated tub, whether ff or tp,  and the power goes out for an extended period of time in freezing wheater, should you try to get heat into the equipment compartment or should you leave it alone and hope for the best.

IMO, I would just shut the breakers off and leave it alone.  Is this the right thing to do?

Hot Tub Forum

what to do with extended power outage?
« on: January 07, 2006, 12:41:06 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: what to do with extended power outage?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 01:26:53 pm »
If you're talking a few hours, I would say leave it alone.

If you're talking 24 hours - drain it! Unless you have a power generator, then hook the generator up to the tub and watch the house freeze ... sorry I couldn't resist.

Actually if you have a generator, it's recommended to place a space heater or light bulb(s) inside the equipment area. The tub's water should be fine unless you're talking days, in which case drain the tub.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 02:04:30 pm »
Extended Power Outage....this could mean many things and depending on the outside temp could be handled many different ways. If it's a few hours and 20-30 don't sweat. if it's 6-8 hours no problem. If it's 12-24 a light bulb for the tub off a gen set or a drain, but if it's -10 to 10 above better start worring about your house and your life, water pipes, water heater and get the tub out of your mind by draining. I have lived in Northern Minnesota for 30 years and have only seen a few power outages in sub 0 weather but the hot tub was the least of my worrys and never did they last for more than a few hours. I have seen plenty of early winter and late winter ice storms that have taken power out for a day or 2 or even 3 but the outside temp was then 20-40 No worrys. If you have a tub problem that forces a shut down contimplate quickly in your warm house as to how quick a service guy can get there or when you need to drain. I would er on the side of a drain. But a small heater or light bulb in a small equipment area will extend your decision. There's many answers here and if you need freeze advice in my service area I am a phone call away to anyone interested.

Had a customer a few weeks back and there tub was down because of a pump motor failure (which they didn't know at the time) On the phone based on the outside temp and my response time I recomended draining and went there to install an electric heater inside the cabinet (non FF) At that time I recognized the pump failure and as it turned out they had a freeze problem already started because the gate valves would not close, as the tub had been shut down for a week, this I just found out when I got there. I extracted the pump and motor and left the heater to do it's job of thawing the lines to the pump. I also had the control box and heater with me, and told the homeowner to check the heater in an hour and another hour and so on untill I got back. The heater was safely sitting on top of a wooden box I use to keep it out of the water as it thaws. I could not return until the next day but had a new pump and motor with a thawed heater. When I opened the compartment it was about 80-90 inside and very wet as the lines had thawed completely. Installed the new pump and motor and re-installed the control and heater and started to fill. Knowing that there could be plenty of other leaks. But alas none appeared and the customer was very very happy. 400 dollar pump and motor slightly marked up and 100 bucks for my time. And a very very happy customer that will call me again if or better yet, when, they have another problem.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 02:04:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42