What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: WINE!!!!!  (Read 5990 times)

anne

WINE!!!!!
« on: November 22, 2006, 02:05:19 am »
As promised we shall talk wine :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Silent Water- I'll definitely check out that Campfiorin sangiovese. How could I fail to list Sangio up there with Zin as my FAV?????? Have not have a good one in a while. I'll check BevMo if I can, and get one for thankgiving.

In-Canada- Yes! I have had the Lindemans Bin 50, and I liked it, especially for the price.

Bosco- I agree, Chile makes some very nice reds. I cannot remember what variety it was, but I was hooked on a 1997 or 99 chilean red for a while, as it was tasty and I could afford it without guilty as a student and intern. ( I was in school till I was 27, so no underage jokes)

PG Rider- I realize in hindsight that I have made my family sound like drunken derelics. They're just drunken at night, not in the day, and they are not derelics. I'd hate to give them a bad rep. I'm from a big Irish family- what can I say.

Galen- Dont know if Viansa wines are in stores.....their website does not indicate it, but if you want to try La Nebbia blind, you can order it:
ftp://http://secure.viansa.com/Viansa/Catalog/ProductIndex.aspx?catalogName=Viansa+Catalog&departmentName=1+Wines&categoryName=Reds
And a hot tub is a GREAT reason to have a wine tasting party! You can only taste so much before they are all the same, so you can take spa breaks! And after you've tasted enough, and discovered your favorite, out to the tub it goes! :D
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

WINE!!!!!
« on: November 22, 2006, 02:05:19 am »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: WINE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 08:21:11 am »

Finished bottle last night in the tub.  It was delicious.  not to dark due to the light tannins and it was good flavour.  I found it dry but hint of fruit to sweeten it a tad.

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 08:59:09 am »
I'm Irish also Anne. Not good huh? I'm going to get a couple of bottles today for my wifes family tomorrow. They like MD20/20. If you know what I mean. So why waste, buying an expensive bottle.  ;D

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 10:19:41 am »
YAY!  Fellow winos! ;D

It was years before I knew what good wine tasted like. Growing up in my house, wine came in a box - or had a picture of a duck on the bottle.  
It wasn't until I met my wife that I discovered some white wines that I liked. (Inniskillin Chard was my first, I think.)  Took me years longer to appreciate reds - couldn't get past that room temperature thing for a long time - but now they're at the top of my list.
Going home on holidays is funny though.  I've learned to bring my own wine (and enough for anyone who cares to share) because that box of Baby Duck is still sitting on the kitchen counter every Christmas!  For all I know it is the same box. :-[

I'm forever experimenting at the store now.  I'll go in to buy a bottle or two of our favourites and almost always pick up an inexpensive bottle of something new.  I've found some surprisingly good bottles of wine for $8 or less!  The most recent was a Chilean Cabernet by Calama.  They make a passable Merlot too!  The best use for these wines, IMO, is as "backup wine".  You know, when the evening turns from dinner party to "hey, let's open another bottle of wine" party?  Crack these open when everyone's already laughing and they'll love it - guaranteed!
Sorry. That was rather long-winded.

Anne, please tell me about Zinfandels 'cuz I've always made the association with white Zin and avoided them thinking that they were too sweet. Sounds like I might be missing out if you put them up there with Sangiovese. Which one should I start with? :-/

Bosco, I've tried the Gato Negro and remember liking it very much.  It's funny how I go through phases.  A few years ago, I swore by the Chilean reds, then discovered the Australian grapes and I'm experimenting with the Italian wines now (most of which are heavy by comparisson).  I will revisit the Gato this weekend.  Thanks for the idea! ;)
...because integrity's the key

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 10:31:25 am »
Rieslings for me, preferably German.  I buy all of my wine from a wine broker who carries wine from all over the world. I love reds however they are usually always so dry.  I did have one from Germany called Spatlese ( I think) that was incredibly good.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 10:34:22 am »
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 12:17:54 pm »
To each his own, Drew! ;D ;) ;D

Bosco or Silent Water, what variety is that Gato Negro? I need a couple bottles to pick up for our family thanksgiving. I'm the only "wino" in the family, though my mom and dad and some aunts and uncles appreciate my offerings. If I plan it right, I can make sure a couple of good bottles are open at the table, then as the night goes on and it gets to that "let's open a another bottle!" time, the other bottles brought by family members (who only differentiate red from white) will be perfect! I really hope that does not sound snobby- its jut to maximize everyone's enjoyment. None of them bother to get into wine like I do, but they always appreciate something better than.......Boonesfarm.....when it is in front of them.

And there is nothing wrong with Applt wine, as long as you dont consider it wine!

As for Zin- there is NOTHING similar about white zin and real zin. Red zin can vary from heavy to light, is not too tannin-y, and usually has a spiciness to it. Some of the best zins I have ever had come not from Napa, but the foothills where it get a little colder and drier.
Dance like nobody's watching

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 12:25:01 pm »
Anne, I am not sure what you mean by varitey but if you mean style it is a Cabernet Sauvignon Chilean.  Here is a review I read and honors that it has recieved.   Give it a go you will love it. Or if you have it in your local area wolfblass yellow label is to die for.

Color:intense red with violet tints.Bouquet:fresh ripe fruit aromas, such as blackberries and black currants. This is a generous, open wine.Palate:a drinkable wine with gentle tannins. Its attack is full of fruit with a pleasant finish.Awards: •Seal Of Approval, 2003 harvest, International Wine Challenge, London, 2004•Gold Medal, 2003 harvest, Sélections Mondiales des Vins, Montreal, 2004•Seal of Approval, 2001 harvest, Japan Wine Challenge, Tokyo, 2002•Seal Of Approval, International Wine Challenge, London, 2001•80/100, Wine Spectator, 2000

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 12:48:47 pm »
Drewstar, dost mine eyes deceive me or does that bottle of fruit stuff say 9% alcohol?!?! :o

What's the point? ;D  Might as well go buy Koolaid.  Hey, don't get me wrong; I like Koolaid... WITH VODKA IN IT!

I'm such a lush.
(say that 10 times fast)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 01:05:11 pm »
I dug it off the internet, but yes 9%. I think you can get up to 10-11% by fermentation. Anything more than that you need to fortify it, (add booze) or distill it.

Ahh Bonnes farms.  The drink of high school idoits. Later, as I matured, and my palate became more sophisticated, I drank:

Ahhh, on ice...that's nice!  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 01:27:16 pm »
Here's a lineup of the usual suspects...

Actually, they're just a few that I've tried and would definitely get again.  I've lined these up in order from the sublime to the ridiculous from left to right, from about $18.00 to $8.00 CDN.

This is my current love interest...

And this is where they live at my house. I also make my own wine (with varying results) so I needed a wine rack to hold several dozen at a time.  I built this little number from recycled skids (Home Depot rejects, actually) and it holds 108 bottles, including 12 of the magnum-sized babys.

Looks like I need to restock! (There's a batch on the way. ;))

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 03:10:48 pm »
Perfect as that slightly different choice for a festive holiday soak with friends!

Not bad with a nice steak either!
 :D
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

MACK

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 08:24:42 pm »
I been reading this board every night for months, and now I got to reply, First all I been working for company for ten years wine distributor , and you all drinking stuff I never seen.like wolf Blass ,, we carry 1900 different wines. and  to name my choice's  Beringer  sparkling white zinfandel, Peter Mertes   Riesling ,  and one more if you can stand sweet wines I like ice wine,  .Chateau ST Michelle    White Riesling Ice wine , the Ice wine is a desert wine, but a bottle when gone is gone they only harvest it below freezeing,. and the fox tail wine is selling very well. it is from Austria ,I get my wine free and Silent Water you got me beat , on the wine rack,,, maybe I should save more and drink less ,lol  just like to add you all have given me many hours of reading enjoyment ,, thanks

Cgy_Spa

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 10:05:34 pm »
YAY!  Fellow winos! ;D

Took me years longer to appreciate reds - couldn't get past that room temperature thing for a long time -

That raises an interesting point that a lot of people are not aware of.  "Room temperature" for red wine actaully refers to what room temp would have been way back when in a dark dingy castle.  Red wine should be enjoyed slightly chilled (by common day standards) between 62-65F (16-18c)

Enjoy!

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 11:15:27 pm »
Thanks for chiming in, Mack and Cyg!  Nice to have you on board.

"Room temperature" for red wine actaully refers to what room temp would have been way back when in a dark dingy castle.  Red wine should be enjoyed slightly chilled (by common day standards) between 62-65F (16-18c)

CYG_SPAAhhhh.... yes.  But you see, although I have been aware of this fact for some time now, I used to think that wine came out of a BOX!  "Room temp" is indeed meant to reflect an optimum temp of 62-64ish degrees....but I can't really achieve that in my house without a 1/2 hour pre-quaff chill in the fridge.  So I live with it at about 69-71 degrees.

MACK, glad that you joined in.  That's what this forum is all about. Please don't be shy; it's nice to hear from you.  I really like Yellow Tail - it's their Australian Shiraz that does it for me!  It's a fun and tasty wine.  As for the rack itself, it cost me next-to-nothing.  I cobbled it together myself out of leftover lumber so that I'd have $$ left over to stock it!! :-[  Ice wine was actually another accidental Canadian invention. In the Niagara region, late one season, some vintners left their grapes out too long and they froze.  Being as adventurous and pragmatic as we are known to be, these enterprising Canadians said "hey, let's not thow it out!  Let's drink it anyway!"   And voila!  A new classic was born.  (Ice wine is world reknowned now but I still don't drink the stuff.  Way too sweet for my taste, thanks.)

BOSCO!!!!!   Do I have your attention!?!?!
I just bought a bottle of the Gato Negro this afternoon to have with dinner and I think that I got a bad bottle!!  GAAACK!! PLAH!  :P I'm sure that it's usually fine, but this bottle smelled like compost and tasted like FEET!  Ugh.  I've never had an "off bottle" before but this one's going back to the store tomorrow 3/4 full.  On the up-side, this wine thread prompted me to buy a few bottles of my old favourites today and the Wolfblass Yellow Label more than made up for the unfortunate Gato experience.  (I promise to give it another chance, Bosco.)

ANNE!  I looked for a Zinfandel today too but they had none available.  Will try a better-stocked liquor store over the weekend and let you know what I find... I'm very intrigued :-?!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 11:15:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42