What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic spas  (Read 22599 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Arctic spas
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 12:00:13 pm »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You should have bought a MASTER thats a lot of fun watchin the kids run around throwin junk  kickin and screamin like .............well ..........like .........kids  ;D  its really comical ......all ya gotta do is put MASTER, ARTIC, ***SPAS,CAL SPA, etc. and watch the fireworks, name callin fire breathing children come out ...............

That would make the the adult?  ??? Naw, I've never been accused of that.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 12:00:13 pm »

Soakin

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 12:15:15 pm »
...all ya gotta do is put MASTER, ARTIC, ***SPAS,CAL SPA, etc. and watch the fireworks...
That's true to a certain extent, but it is usually precipitated by a supposed "shopper" quoting the company/dealer sales pitches as fact (see the original post here), which brings out quick rebuttals.  The usual pattern is for the original "just looking for info" poster to defend their product, which seems unusual if they were truly looking for help.  Unfortunately, the antics of these "pot-stirrers" makes it hard for you happy owners to  look forward to reading a thread with your brand in the title.  If you read this board regularly, I think you'd have to agree the folks that you just branded "name callin children" actually put in quite a bit of time providing help and information, while the "attacked  posters" seldom contribute beyond their own threads.  Whose motives should be questioned?

FYI, I have no skin in this game.  I'm a consumer that owns a brand not often discussed on this forum.  I just appreciate the efforts of MOST of the industry people on this forum.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 12:27:01 pm »
FYI, I have no skin in this game.  I'm a consumer that owns a brand not often discussed on this forum.  I just appreciate the efforts of MOST of the industry people on this forum.

That was overall a pretty good post. I too own one of those brands that seldom gets mentioned here. and I try to not use my duties as moderator to change that.  But its a real catch-22 in many cases.  I'm stuck in between defending the new people with "suspicious questions" and our valuded industry professionals here, that I would like to meet someday.  Frequently I am the most suspicious. As long as things stay civil all I can do is hope people read everything and weighs its value.  I've been online for more than 20 years now, and have learned not to get too worked up about anything I see online.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

fatman

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 12:46:33 pm »
 I believe what Fatman meant to say was that in his humble opinion, the pitch that he was sold by Actic lead him to believe that the overall construction of the Arctic was "The Best" with the Emerald a close second. ;)  Afterall, I think Kraft Mac and Cheese is the best, and my wife prefers Velveeta. ;D

No. You are wrong. What I meant to say is exactly what I did say. No hidden meanings at all. When I go to any dealership to look at hot tubs I take my sweet time in doing so. I take a very good look at the hot tub and always have the dealer open up the cabinet. Usually the dealer is happy to go find his cordless drill and take a few screws out of the cabinet so I can look. I always go past the sales pitch too. After a while most dealers run out of memorized pitch and are more open to questions. I can usually get them to sling a little mud about their competition as well. That tells me a something of their sales technique and their character overall. I pay attention to what dealers say, what they don't say, their body language, how they are dressed and their overall attitude. I have talked with dealers who are just starting their own business and well established millionares who could retire anytime and are selling tubs just for a hobby.  Spotting a well constructed hot tub is fairly easy to do especially if you look in the cabinet and the bottom also. Believe me, I don't fall for the razzle dazzle that some dealers spew. So yes, I do believe Arctic is the best built tub on the market. They also have the best cover, not because you can stand on it but because it doesn't get waterlogged. I see nothing wrong with a cover that doesn't have to be replaced every 3-4 years. It's called value and quality.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 12:53:01 pm »
steve my panties are not in a bunch as you so nicely put it.

Think as a consumer who purchased a product.  Every time I log on, someone is arguing about Arctic Spas.  If you dont like them thats fine by me.  

I agree that the sales pitches are bull shit and that many customers are misinformed.  But lets not slam a hole product because of it.  You guys make me feel like I have purchased a crappy tub from a guy in Colorado.  I would honestly argue in my opinion that Arctic is a great tub.  

I am sorry for getting upset with you Steve and I dont try to make waves with people.  I am non confrontational and maybe my post might of sounded a little hostile, it was not my intentions.  It is just frustrating having to read post after post slamming the product I just bought.  

Sorry again Steve, just frustrated.  I guess it is hard to be excited about my new arrival when I see posts always discouraging arctic.

No need to apologize. Maybe my question should have been separate from this thread, but instead I saw it as an opportunity for clarification on something I've been trying to find out for years.

If you look at my history of posts, I don't SLAM other brands but I do question certain methods. Same could be said here. I've always believed that Arctic makes a good spa and more important, they are a strong company with a great history of customer service.

I do wish you the very best with yours bosco and I'm sure you'll love it. I mean that with all genuineness.

I just wanted to know the answer to my question and this thread gave me the opportunity ( timed wrong maybe :-/ ) to question it and give an opportunity to have a buying customer to ask the same.

No offense taken and I'm sorry for my antagonism in response.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 12:54:07 pm by Steve »

shabba34

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 12:54:03 pm »
No. You are wrong. What I meant to say is exactly what I did say. No hidden meanings at all. When I go to any dealership to look at hot tubs I take my sweet time in doing so. I take a very good look at the hot tub and always have the dealer open up the cabinet. Usually the dealer is happy to go find his cordless drill and take a few screws out of the cabinet so I can look. I always go past the sales pitch too. After a while most dealers run out of memorized pitch and are more open to questions. I can usually get them to sling a little mud about their competition as well. That tells me a something of their sales technique and their character overall. I pay attention to what dealers say, what they don't say, their body language, how they are dressed and their overall attitude. I have talked with dealers who are just starting their own business and well established millionares who could retire anytime and are selling tubs just for a hobby.  Spotting a well constructed hot tub is fairly easy to do especially if you look in the cabinet and the bottom also. Believe me, I don't fall for the razzle dazzle that some dealers spew. So yes, I do believe Arctic is the best built tub on the market. They also have the best cover, not because you can stand on it but because it doesn't get waterlogged. I see nothing wrong with a cover that doesn't have to be replaced every 3-4 years. It's called value and quality.
How many Arctic spas have you owned?  have you ever owned a spa?  If I'm not mistaking, you have been shopping for over a year however, have not purchased yet.  Seems to me, if that is the case, you have no way to justify your claims other then what you belive to be true.  And that is fine with me.  You are alloted your opinions...  But when they are your opinions, don't claim one to be the "best" without stating that it is just that, your opinion. ;)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 01:05:22 pm »
They also have the best cover, not because you can stand on it but because it doesn't get waterlogged. I see nothing wrong with a cover that doesn't have to be replaced every 3-4 years. It's called value and quality.

WOW...I didn't know this. Their "forever cover" never gets waterlogged and lasts the life of the spa?  ???

Steve

shabba34

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 01:08:21 pm »

WOW...I didn't know this. Their "forever cover" never gets waterlogged and lasts the life of the spa?  ???

Steve
Those kind of comments are what brought on my post.  As you Steve, I don't have a tendency to bash other MFG's, but comments of the best this and best that coming from someone who has never owned brand x,y,or z is in no position to make these outlandish claims. :P

fatman

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 01:09:54 pm »
How many Arctic spas have you owned?  have you ever owned a spa?  If I'm not mistaking, you have been shopping for over a year however, have not purchased yet.  Seems to me, if that is the case, you have no way to justify your claims other then what you belive to be true.  And that is fine with me.  You are alloted your opinions...  But when they are your opinions, don't claim one to be the "best" without stating that it is just that, your opinion. ;)

What does ownership have to do with a hot tubs quality?  A Rolls Royce is far superior to a GM but I will never own a Rolls Royce.   As far as opinions go, doesn't every dealer, customer and potential customer have some sort of opinion?  Every week there is a newbie to this site asking "which hot tub is the best" and every week dealers speak up saying "Sundance, HS, Marquis, D-1 and Jac". Nothing wrong with that either, it's the American way.  Case closed.

shabba34

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2005, 01:14:09 pm »
What does ownership have to do with a hot tubs quality?  A Rolls Royce is far superior to a GM but I will never own a Rolls Royce.   As far as opinions go, doesn't every dealer, customer and potential customer have some sort of opinion?  Every week there is a newbie to this site asking "which hot tub is the best" and every week dealers speak up saying "Sundance, HS, Marquis, D-1 and Jac". Nothing wrong with that either, it's the American way.  Case closed.
Ownership has everything to do with what you or I or anyone else feels a quality spa is.  For all I know, a rolls can be a piece of sh##, I never owned one.  You see, I had nothing to base my opinion on.  Get it!!! ;)

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2005, 01:18:24 pm »
Sorry to make you angry but I think you may be a little out of line on your post there ebirrane.  Dont treat me with disrespect or like an idiot, I would never do that to you or anbody else.  Your opinions are one thing, but to try to insult is just down right rediculous.

Bosco,  I wasn't trying to insult you.  Honestly.  Were I trying to insult or "go in for the kill", I could do much, much better.  :P

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt, but I do stand by everything I said.

The problem is, and you mentioned it in your reply to Steve, that these responses make you feel bad about the tub you just purchased.  These things are valid criticisms of the product that come up often and are often met with nothing other than hyperbole. Rather than being offended because it makes you feel bad about your latest purchase, be happy that you have an opporunity here to learn about the strengths *and* the weaknesses of your tub.  Knowing the weaknesses will help you take better care of the tub and handle emergencies better. Weaknesses or no, it's the best tub for you because it felt the best when you wet tested it.

People new to shopping only get the sales pitches and they have a right to be able to come on here and understand how to tone down sales pitches and, it just so happens, the canonical Arctic salespitch (as related on this board) needs MORE toning down than the others.

-Ed
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 01:23:16 pm by ebirrane »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2005, 01:22:59 pm »

Bosco,  I wasn't trying to insult you.  Honestly.  Were I trying to insult or "go in for the kill", I could do much, much better.  :P

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt. I stand by everything I said.

-Ed

You're a funny guy Ed! ;D

ebirrane

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2005, 01:27:58 pm »

You're a funny guy Ed! ;D

*sigh*  I'll learn this olive-branch thing eventually...

ebirrane

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2005, 01:40:49 pm »
I do believe Arctic is the best built tub on the market. They also have the best cover, not because you can stand on it but because it doesn't get waterlogged.

I guess I need to understand what best-built means.  I'm not trying to argue best or worst. I'm a self-proclaimed hot tub geek, and I don't understand your assessment.  Below is my assessment and I was hoping that you would jump in with some specifics to better educate me and/or prove me wrong...

If it means "able to withstand impacts", I think other tub makers have better or as good shell construction.

If it means best at retaining heat (this is a "hot tub" after all) I think a few others eke past them in heat retention (a.k.a insulation efficiency).  In the Arctic study, HS was about equivalent to the Arctic in insulation, and the HS had a cover that was half the thickness of an Arctic. Put an as-thick cover on the HS and I'd bet it would have out-performed the Arctic.

If it means best in emergency situations, the venting of the air pocket generates lots of questions.  Unless that shell is vented through bi-metallic spring louvers, you've got problems when the power goes out as they have an "active" heating system which won't work in a power outage. That's why, IMO, other TP styles put a few inches (at least) of insulation on the shell inside.  You simply can't guarantee the thermal properties of that air space.

I agree that the stock Arctic cover is thicker and therefore better than thinner covers that other manufacturers sell.  Maybe Dr. Spa can comment on the water retention of the cover. I think it is better because it is thicker.  But take a different tub and upgrade its cover (a common suggestion in colder climates) and I think we are back to even again.

-Ed

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2005, 01:51:50 pm »
I'd like to see members who are salesmen or own thier own dealership be identified somehow.  Yea, some people will pose as customers,but for the most part it helps me keep straight who's a dealer, and who's a consumer.
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2005, 01:51:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42