What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: now I am scared!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 5674 times)

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
now I am scared!!!!!!!!!!
« on: August 08, 2005, 07:46:26 pm »
I just finished reading how rodents love to get under the spas, Oh no, what do I do???????????????/

I don't want mice or rats ( I HAVE seen RATS, this IS atlanta)
The spa is going in my back yard how do I keep rodents away??????

Please, please advice. Now I am not so sure I did the right thing by buying this tub.

Hot Tub Forum

now I am scared!!!!!!!!!!
« on: August 08, 2005, 07:46:26 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: now I am scared!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 08:03:13 pm »
Awwwwwwwwww no... and Hotsprings is the ONLY manufacturer to not address this problem... :-/ Sorry...

Just kidding....you'll be fine! ;D

Steve

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:52:32 pm »
We use and recommend Fresh Cab which is a potpurri that farmers use to protect their equipment over the winter.  It does the job.  We have it at www.portablespas.com

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 01:06:54 pm »
Awwwwwwwwww no... and Hotsprings is the ONLY manufacturer to not address this problem... :-/ Sorry...

Steve

Dont forget Beachcomber! They don't have it either.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 01:14:30 pm »
The spa is going in my back yard how do I keep rodents away??????

Please, please advice. Now I am not so sure I did the right thing by buying this tub.

Talk to your dealer about how well the spa is designed for this and take precautions where necessary. The equipment compartment will need to vent hot air somehow but you need to be sure any openings have a metal mesh screen in place and if not you'll need to do so. Be there when they deliver it so you can see underneath and get a good look to see if there are any entry points for your furry little friends. Mice only need a hole about the size of a nickel to get in.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 01:19:19 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the mice.  The Sumatran has a rodent screen that fits flush up against the door.  There is also a metal screen over the pump shroud vent.  These are the only two areas where vermin could access the spa.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 01:55:08 pm »
Thanks everybody for your suggestion.

Steve you are too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 02:00:29 pm »
buy a cat.

07 Caldera Geneva

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 02:16:39 pm »
I don't think a cat is that great at mousing all the time.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 02:26:23 pm »
I don't think a cat is that great at mousing all the time.

Hot Spring offers an optional cat.  It lists for $450.00 and is warrentied for 5 years.

Other manufactuers claim to have cats as good as hot springs, but I'd  be very careful when shopping around. (espcaily in CO. There's this one guy taking gerbils and adding on so called Whiskers and a longer tail claiming it's a better cat....but he's nut)

Remember. Pet Test! Pet Test! Pet Test!   ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 03:12:51 pm »

Hot Spring offers an optional cat.  It lists for $450.00 and is warrentied for 5 years.

Other manufactuers claim to have cats as good as hot springs, but I'd  be very careful when shopping around. (espcaily in CO. There's this one guy taking gerbils and adding on so called Whiskers and a longer tail claiming it's a better cat....but he's nut)

Remember. Pet Test! Pet Test! Pet Test!   ;)

Speaking of pet testing...I have a rather interesting story I'd like to share with the class.
My yellow lab seems to come into the tub room when we are either cleaning or topping the water off on the tub..he'll stand there perched on the top step waiting for an invitation to jump in the tub..and I keep telling him "NO! you get in that tub and I swear I'll casterate you and your dad!!!!" Of course I never mean it..I'm an lab faniatic I'd never hurt him nor the other two! But...anyway I was laying in the lounger of the hot tub yesterday staring off into space when I hear "Woof!!" and low and behold here was Remington standing at the door looking like "Please mom! Let me in just once!" I gave him that look like oh hell no! and what should he do now...but lay down with his head proped up on the screen door looking like he lost his bone to another dog! anyway..that's my story my yellow lab wants in the hot tub..and Mommy is being mean and won't let him come play!

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 03:15:37 pm »

Must be a full-foam cat that circulates 24/7 :)

Actually I recently had a mouse(?) eating my garage door wires.  I was unsucessful at trapping and bought a "Mouse Away" package at my spa store.  Put it in the car that I have stored in the garage and no more mice.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 03:18:47 pm »
mouse away? Despite  having  2 cats ,  in the winter  my sheds get *infested* with mice (one of the problems of being in the woods)  and I am hestitnet to use posions.  What is Mouse Away?  I just googles it.  Does it work? For prolonged periods?  Anyone have actual long term experience?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 03:20:16 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 03:43:53 pm »
It's mostly peppermint but extremely strong smelling.  It works for at least 4 days :)  hopefully a lot longer but only time will tell.  The package says that it must be replaced when the odor runs out but how often I don't know.  It also says for spa and pool equipment compartments, cars and boats.  If I had a problem in my shed I'd try it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 03:47:34 pm by tonyp »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 04:06:45 pm »
I tell our customers to put a plastic tray full of mothballs or moth crystals.

Use plastic so moisture won't damage it, and also so you can spot chewing. Rodents love the pcv plumbing and fittings, so if you spot chewing on the plastic tray you'll know you have an active problem.

The mothballs and crystals go away over time, so check them regularly.

Some of our customers report that this works.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 04:06:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42