What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new vs. used  (Read 2090 times)

south

new vs. used
« on: October 12, 2018, 05:09:21 am »
Hi.  Long time, first time.  I've gotten a great deal of help reading the forums, thanks, and I think I have at least a partial feel for the landscape.  Getting ready to close on my house and it's the first opportunity I've had for my own tub...near daily user, at rentals and the gym, and where I stay for work.  House was chosen partially for suitability for tub. 

Anyway, I'm really struggling with new vs. used.  We have several dealers here who are loaded with refurb tubs with full shorter warranties, the closest one being a Maxx dealer also, but has some good jacuzzi / etc stuff for like ~4200, all a couple years old on average.  All with brand new full accessory package, chemicals, steps, cover.  They all use the exact same people for repairs as new.  Moving them not included but discounted.

Then there's craigslist.  2000-2500 will get you a currently functional / hot / filled tub, a little older, beautifully maintained, all accessories, of course moving and maintenance on me. 

But, I mean, let's take serious structural problems out for the moment, and say I do one of these options, and whoops, crap, a motor shells out after 12 months.  There's 6-800.  Couple years later, something else happens.  Another $600.  Dang it. 

How much sense does it make...to shell out 8-9 - even 12 grand for something that has the same chance of crapping out, but I would save the repair costs for a couple of years...I can't make the math work. 

Even if that one turned out to be a lemon and I took it to the dump after 4 years and tried again...I'm still in the black over new. 

I live in southern Arizona, where insulation and stuff isn't an issue...I am of maybe average mechanical ability from being an aircraft electrician in my youth, about 230 years ago, I could probably spot problems with kinked wires or hoses or chafing red flags like soft stuff suspended with zip ties. 

Any thoughts?  Under the used plan, I'd be looking for manufacturers known for reliability in the stuff that can't be fixed, like the shell...frame...etc.  Any thoughts there?  Discuss, thanks in advance. 

Hot Tub Forum

new vs. used
« on: October 12, 2018, 05:09:21 am »

coldnh

Re: new vs. used
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 10:24:55 am »
Honestly that was my thought as well. I just picked up a nice J-365 for 850$ Past owner says its currently in great condition and they just spent 1,000 bucks on miscellaneous parts, I figure even if i have to replace 1,000 dollar of parts a year, it will still take me 6-7 years to be in the red on buying a new one. Plus like you said a new one will have issues as well once the warranty runs out. who knows, time will tell!

south

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 12:08:57 pm »
Yeah, as of this morning there are 3-4 J-365 / similar on CL, within easy driving distance, all currently up and running and look brand new.  I want a lounge seat, though I could give it up for the right deal.  All I want is the hot water, and reliability, everything else is pretty much bunk.  I have no use for 450 jets, or frankly even one for that matter.  Just more crap to break.  Lights would be cool, maybe a little waterfall, but again...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 01:24:07 pm »
I'm just hear to say  Welcome to the forum!    I've never bought used, but if I did, I might consider from a dealer I trusted.  If I personally new a  person selling theirs and I could see it up and running maybe.  Good luck.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 01:24:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42