What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new spa setup  (Read 4512 times)

spanewbie

• welcome to the center for the easily confused
new spa setup
« on: August 06, 2005, 03:42:33 pm »
Based on research (much of it on this site) and despite the advice of many dealers and spa manufacturer sites, we've decided to go with the Dichlor system and an ozonator.
Spa is being delivered late next week.

For regular spa maintenance, Vermonter and Northman methods seem to be the way to go, but wait - there's more !  - more confusion on INITIAL SPA SETUP:
Many chem and spa manufacturer websites say to use a long list of chemicals in addition to Dichlor, particularly for initial spa setup.  I'm thinking we should clean the inside with Windex, rinse it out, fill with water, shock with Dichlor, run jets for 15 minutes, test Alk, PH, & Chlorine levels, treat if necessary, wait until the chlorine level goes down to ~ 2 ppm, and get in.  We live in central Florida and the water temperature coming out of the hose isn't exactly chilly, so it'll be in the 90's in no time.  Does this process sound right, or am I naive in thinking this is enough?

Do we need to use such products as Spa Defender, MPS, Stain & Scale, Clarifier, enzymes, etc...  in the setup process, or should we only use them if problems arise?  We don't mind doing preventive treatment, but don't want to use chems needlessly, either.       ::)

Hot Tub Forum

new spa setup
« on: August 06, 2005, 03:42:33 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: new spa setup
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 05:25:27 pm »
Fill the spa, check the PH and calcium, adjust if needed and add dichlor and ENJOY. You can get in right away or shock with dichlor and wait until approx 3 PPM.

A lot of people use dichlor and it really is easy following the advice from Vermonter and Northman.

As far as other chems, well it depends on your situation. I originally didn't use enzymes and found with 2 children the tub gets a brown ring from them (I'm sure the adults contribute a little too), so I put in enzymes. I did purchase MPS and I's nice to have to shock the tub and get in it in about 20 minutes. I do have a shock product from the dealer that I'm using now that has dichlor, I believe MPS and a clarifier. I also bought clarifier as my water did get a little cloudy from parties and ME not doing the correct thing. Hopefully I wont use it too often.

Start off with as few chems as you need and add to your arsenal as needed!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 05:59:09 pm »
Many need a metal sequestering agent such as LeisureTime Metal Gon when filling.  Spa Defender (LeisureTime) is a stain and scale product that protects your pumps, heater, etc.  Two oz every other week (or weekly if needed) to maintain is a very good idea.  Enzymes, if you want to use them, are a weekly maintenance item...not needed, but helps "eat" oils, soaps, etc.  Clarifiers are to be used only if needed.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 06:11:23 pm »
Spanewbie,

I also live in Central Florida and recently joined the hot tub club.  I saw a Vita Spa going ina few houses down last night and wonder if it was you???!!!!!

I was also told not to use the bromine and ozonator system on my jacuzzi and have had one month of very little trouble adapting to the routine.  I just filled my tub the first day with two hoses, poured a cap of bromine in, and was in the tub 5 hours later.  The only thing I have had to do was add a little clarifier after the water got a little cloudy after the first party.

I never heard about using windex until I read it on here a few days ago.  My rep warned me about overdoing the chemicals as a newbie and I have been careful not to.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 06:13:58 pm by orlandoguy »

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 08:03:05 am »
I guess it also depends on the type of filtration too. We have a Sundance Cameo with the Microclean II filter. Our dealer told us to raise the TA and calcium hardness after filling - then we added dichlor. That's it!! I adjust the pH when necessary (infrequently) and add a little dichlor every day. Couldn't be easier!!! Oh, we also use Nature2 (SunPurity) and ozone.

Much simpler than our last spa - even using Nature2 and dichlor in that one. ÊWe still needed to use stain and scale every other week and I used Metal Gone on refills. And I had to set the filtration for many, many hours a day to keep the water clear.

I love my Sundance with the Microclean II filter!!! We've had it 4 weeks now and the water is as clear today as it was when I filled it. The best part is never having to clean the filter!!!

Good luck with your new spa!!!

Susan
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 08:08:17 am by TrikkeAddict »

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 08:44:37 am »
Congratulations spanewbie!  When my spa was delivered, they gave me startup chemicals.  The package contained directions for startup and maintenance.  I just threw in the recommended amount of chemicals and let the circulation pump do its thing.  Was soakin as soon as the temp got warm enough which only took a couple of hours.

I learned a long time ago when I had my 1st spa that it is easy to over-think the chemicals.  Less is better and it isn't nearly as complicated as it appears to be.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 08:44:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42