What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wet Test Liability?  (Read 6319 times)

Chris_H

Re: Wet Test Liability?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 11:48:04 am »
I shopped a Cal Spa dealer (that advertises on various web forums) and he told me it was unsanitary to wet test.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 11:48:04 am »

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 11:53:17 am »
I believe that Chas told me he is up in Santa Barbara, which is a good 120 miles north of me.  Of course, depending on the deal he could put together..... :P

As far as wet tests being unsanitary, I'd think that the number of people actually getting in the demo tubs compared to what they'd see in a backyard would be inconsequential.  If a spa can't handle the small number of wet testers, then it has a substantial filtration problem.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 11:53:59 am »
I shopped a Cal Spa dealer (that advertises on various web forums) and he told me it was unsanitary to wet test.  

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Homeworks Financing Representative

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 11:55:56 am »
As far as wet tests being unsanitary, I'd think that the number of people actually getting in the demo tubs compared to what they'd see in a backyard would be inconsequential.  If a spa can't handle the small number of wet testers, then it has a substantial filtration problem.

You are correct!

I would say, despite my insistence, less than 5% of shoppers wet test.

The water in our showroom tub gets changed twice a year. Just no traffic through the tub, there fore no need to change the water.
Homeworks Financing Representative

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 01:22:38 pm »
I just purchased a Beachcomber tub and the dealer really encouraged us to wet test.  He acted like I would be crazy to buy it without trying the tub out.  In the end I bought a different model than the one I was thinking about because of the wet test.  He had the tubs all set up and had drinks for us and towels.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 06:01:19 pm »
You can borrow my pic.

J._McD

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2005, 04:44:44 pm »
Checking my Orange County zip code, a new dealer popped up: "Islander Designs" in Orange.  Previously, my closest dealer was down in San Juan Capistrano.  A quick call to this store soured me in a hurry.  A woman answered the phone and told me she had five different models on the floor, with just one filled.  She then let me know that she would be unwilling to let me or my family wet test it, as "think if anyone slipped and fell getting in or out what our liability would be" Greg

I think you are being a bit harsh on her lack of tact or diplomacy, but she was simply being honest with you.  You say “a new dealer popped up”.  She is, I am sure crippled by the fear of her own imagination of possibilities.  Have you any idea how many grocery stores have been sued because another shopper dropped a grape on the floor.  Well, we do live in a litigous society, being new she has just not taken control of her ability to control the safety surrounding the water test area.
Is the dealer in question ignorant, over cautious, uninsured, or is there something else going on? (too cheap to fill up the tubs?)

I think it is FEAR of the possibilities.  Unfortunately, it is not customer friendly or inducive to sales.  She will either change or go out of business.  BUT, she is honest enough to speak her mind.

The demands of shopping consumers may at times seem unreasonable to new dealers starting out in a new business.  Although, you have been offended, I think you should stop in to look, evaluate the dry models and determine YOUR interest and ask the question again.  After all, she is locally convenient, she is new, and she is not the only person there.  Maybe her husband would be more reasonable.  Maybe you won't like the spas. ;D

J._McD

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 05:06:44 pm »

"No Water Test, No Sale, Can I Change Your Mind" ;) ;D

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2005, 05:51:09 pm »
Er, on the original topic... :)  What business owner doesn't have liability insurance?  Heck, what homeowner in their right mind doesn't have an umbrella policy for, what, $2M US, the way things are today? (Of course, my father was an attorney... perhaps I'm special....)

I'd *still* think any hot tub/spa dealer would deal with an insurance broker used to the market and have such policies available as a matter of course (or the local association could steer them to one...).

I'd not return to one that said 'no dice  on no wet tests' either, unless it was a brand I *really* wanted and there was an exclusive distribution deal on them. :)  Gotta test to be sure.
--
Lee

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2005, 09:21:18 pm »
I don't think you are being at all too harsh with not patronizing the "new" dealer who would not allow you to wet test.  THis is the business they chose and should be familiar with and accepting of the "common practices".  I can't imagine anyone dropping $5-10k on anything (that essentailly can't be returned if it simply doesn't fit you) without trying it first. If these folks are not willing to allow a soak, then take your business elsewhere.  At the very least it sounds like she could have been a bit more diplomatic in the way she said "no way"....

I just purchased a HS Vanguard, and the dealer not only encouraged wet tests, he filled and hooked up power to the model(s) we wanted to test.  We went back twice to try out different tubs (tested 2 each time) .. all he needed was a few days to get the power pulled to the different model and get the water moved over and heated up.  The wet test actually steered  us away from the model we were" sure" we wanted.....  my 2 cents: don't buy a tub without trying it first...

J._McD

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 09:55:03 pm »
Er, on the original topic... :)  What business owner doesn't have liability insurance?.....the way things are today?..........I'd *still* think any hot tub/spa dealer would deal with an insurance broker used to the market .......I'd not return to one that said 'no dice  on no wet tests' either, unless it was a brand I *really* wanted and there was an exclusive distribution deal on them. :)  Gotta test to be sure.

You know I really don't want to defend this persons position or point of view without understanding their experience or fear of liability, remember, they are NEW.

Secondly, I don't believe this is about insurance either.  She just dosen't want to be exposed.  We are an overinsured society, for havens (sic) sake anyone with road side service or a AAA card has "flat tire insurance", what are the chances of a flat tire or the need for a tow.

Being a new dealer that "just popped up", what if they wired the spa without a GFCI because they didn't know any better, or yet maybe the customer last week got pnsuedemonas and is already suing them, or what if they are really in Colorado and the dealer "reworked" the spa like Tim Allen rewires motors to get more power, just maybe you don't want to water test it. :o

The point is, she stated her position, now don't buy from her, OR try to understand her position.  As a dealer, she too is in the business to SELL spas and to do so MUST deal with the consuming public shoping for a spa.  While it has been stated here numerous times, less than 5% or is it 3% of shoppers water test spas, yet 100% of the web participants encourage wet testing.  Something is out of balance here. ::)

We seem to be crucifing someone the shopper has already been offended by whether that is a good choice or not, and he is obviously in the category of the 5% or 3% of shoppers interested in wet testing.   ;)

Furthermore, it has been stated that shoppers have been accomodated by many dealers who are willing and have been cordial to the idea of wet testing.  Possibly they will corner the the major portion of the 5% market share.  They are comfortable with the idea of doing what it takes to accomodate the whims of the shopper to get the sale. :-* :-*

In addition, some shoppers admit to having been accomodated outside normal store hours for their convenience even though it is at the inconvenience of another person to accomodate the water test and they have no intention to buy after the wet test.  Someone must stay after hours probably to earn $$ from someone who is not willing to give a comittment to buy the spa until all other spas under consideration  have been tested.  Thus, of all of the people going out of their way to accomodate the wet test, only ONE will get the sale.  ::)

Oh yes, and by the way, that big one over there, can you fill it tomarrow so I can come back to water test that one. ;)

It is tough being in retail and catering to each individual and the whims of shoppers, sometimes against your better judgement, as if each one of them is going to buy from you because you went the EXTRA MILE for them.  While they do appreciate and even demand good dealer services and individual customer attention, how can you ever please everybody. :-/

If you can't wet test it and that is important to you, go elsewhere.  If you are in the 95% category, stop in to look and evaluate your potential purchase.  Find what is best for you.  Each one of us will and probably would have a different point of view.  Shop around until you find what is right for you.  There are a lot of choices to consider, as there are a lot of dealers as well, that are interested in your business. ;) ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 10:01:45 pm by J._McD »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 09:55:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42