What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi vs. Hotspring  (Read 10933 times)

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Jacuzzi vs. Hotspring
« on: July 11, 2005, 05:49:08 pm »
Hi.  I am about to buy a spa and was nearly sold on the hotspring.  My price range was generous but I hate to waste money and love to research, which is why I like this site.

After visiting a jacuzzi showroom I found a model I liked and it seemed to be around 3 grand cheaper than the hotspring model which was similar.  the salesman told me jacuzzi has twice the pumps, is built better, and has a better warranty.  Being a salesman myself, i was wondering if someone here who is NOT representing a brand could tell me if they see and great differences between these two brands.  My main purpose is therapy, but also figure if it is gonna sit on my deck, it might as well look good as well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 05:49:29 pm by orlandoguy »

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi vs. Hotspring
« on: July 11, 2005, 05:49:08 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Jacuzzi vs. Hotspring
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 06:01:27 pm »
I am a sales guy, but I will chime in with this observation:

get the two warranties and compare them side by side..

Also, these are two major brand names, so you really need to do a test soak. If you like the Moto, get the HS. If you don't, look at the Jacuzzi.

I would say that you could find repairmen who might lean toward HotSpring in the quality department, but Jac. is a fine tub.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 06:08:08 pm »
what is the moto?  I am assuming that is the motor?

I did a wet test and really liked the jacuzzi.  As far as the waterfalls and pop up speakers, they are cool but not that important.  They are running specials saying they are making room for the 2006 models and the jacuzzi model is just under 7 grand and it includes the stereo and waterfall and all the bells and whistles.

it seems both have 5 year warranties which complicates the decision further.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 06:10:26 pm by orlandoguy »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 06:09:15 pm »
After visiting a jacuzzi showroom I found a model I liked and it seemed to be around 3 grand cheaper than the hotspring model which was similar.  the salesman told me jacuzzi has twice the pumps, is built better, and has a better warranty.

Hmmm. You've gotten quotes to show the Jacuzzi is $3k less and now the Jacuzzi salesman is telling you it has twice the pumps (BTW, its not the number of pumps but teh feel of teh jets that matter), is built better (how is he defining that) and has a better warranty (in what manner). I think there is a bit of salesmanship going on here as both are quailty makers but I think the salesman might be pouring it on a bit. What models are you looking at?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 06:37:17 pm »
Personally, if I had bought on price, I would own a Jacuzzi J-360 right now.  Problem with that, I floated in nearly every seat in that spa!  Not to mention, the dealer went out exactly a week after I wet tested!

But, after I wet tested the HotSpring, there was no question in my mind!

Just another experience!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 07:00:57 pm »
It seems most hotspring owners agree with you.  What exactly is THAT much better in the hotspring??

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 07:35:59 pm »
what is the moto?
The Moto Massage Jet is a wonderful jet which moves up and down your back. It is available in two forms: the single and the double. It focuses on the center three inches of the back, where all the muscles and other tissue connect to the backbone. It has been around for well over twenty years, and has a proven track record. I love it. Dont have time to put a picture here for you, so go to HotSpring.com and check out the videos and photos.
it seems both have 5 year warranties which complicates the decision further.
No, the HS has seven years on the shell AND structure. If you don't know the difference, do some research.

Also, the HS has a titanium heater with a 5 year NO FAULT warranty.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

cappykat

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 07:48:28 pm »
orlandoguy....I'm in Orlando also and looking at tubs for the first time.  We wet tested a HS Envoy and loved it but not so sure about the pressure treated bottom.

There's a lot of other dealers in Orlando, so we are going to look at all of them.  I'll be interested to know what you decide.
2005 Marquis Epic

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 08:42:53 am »
Well I will chime in here as I also considered both Jacuzzi and HotSpring.  Both are excellent tubs.  I am in West Palm Beach and found the prices for comparable spas to be comparable.  So you might want to make sure that the models you are comparing are similar in size and so forth.  Also, you need to wet test them and see which one feels better to you.  Which dealer are you more comfortable with?

In the end, if you are looking at comparable models, and you feel that either would work for you, then $3K is enough money to pick the Jacuzzi.  I know I would.

Regards,

Bill

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 08:51:51 am »
I'm curious, what model Jacuzi and what model Hot Spring are you comparing?

Both brands have a very good reputation, but $3K is  a significant diffference.  

I know that Hot Springs commands a premium price not only for thier quality, but the Moto massage jets appear to be an expensive set up and be priced more for a comparable tub without this feature. Still 3 Grand difference for similliar tubs?
What tubs are you looking at?  :D
07 Caldera Geneva

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 10:58:55 am »
the salesman told me jacuzzi has twice the pumps, is built better, and has a better warranty.

You have not stated the model of the jacuzzi tub he was talking about so it is difficult to verify his claims about the pumps.

I own a HS, but am not a dealer, just a hot tub geek.  While shopping and learned and lurking here and learning I would find it hard to take a poll which says jacuzzi is "built better" than a hot springs.

Here is some info which may, or may not help with your decision:

Watkin Manufacturing makes Hot Springs and Caldera and, I believe, Tiger River.  That list is "sorted" from luxury to budget tub.

Jacuzzi makes Sundance and Jacuzzi Premium tubs (I get that right?) Of the two, Sundance is seen as the more "luxury" model.

Very often you find people comparing HS and Sundance, which is, perhaps, a more equal comparison.

Some questions: What is the difference? Quality of foaming. Quality (fewer bends and elbows) of plumbing. Types of ozonator and mixing chamber. Filtration and ease of filter maintenance. warranty on materials. Feel of jets (meaning not too many jets for the pumps) plus a few hundred other nits that people either focus on or ignore: type of base, energy efficiency.  If Jacuzzi doesn't have a no fault heater I'd personally not buy it because no fault heaters seem so common these days.

Why the $3k price difference? Your jacuzzi dealer sounds competative in price (unknown for sure because you didn't say the jacuzzi tub) and the HS dealer is inflating the price.  $10k is too much for a HS tub, at least in the north east, unless you go with the spa audio feature (which is probably not the best use of $).

I would read up here for a while and take a gander at Sundance to give another option to HS.

If you wet test both tubs and really can't tell a difference and like both dealers then buy the less expensive tub.

-Ed
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 11:01:17 am by ebirrane »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 11:11:14 am »

Watkin Manufacturing makes Hot Springs and Caldera and, I believe, Tiger River.  That list is "sorted" from luxury to budget tub.

Jacuzzi makes Sundance and Jacuzzi Premium tubs (I get that right?) Of the two, Sundance is seen as the more "luxury" model.

-Ed

Actually Walkins (owned by Masco) Watkins makes/owns:  Hot Spring, Caldera, Tiger River,  Hot Spot, and Solana.

I did  not know that  Jaccuzi had a  realtionship with  Sundance?

Please don't refer to my $7200 Tiger river caspain as "budget".  ;)  , Frugal? Yes Budget?  No  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 11:19:43 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 12:16:14 pm »

Please don't refer to my $7200 Tiger river caspain as "budget".  ;)  , Frugal? Yes Budget?  No  ;)

Oops! Sorry.  Yes, I meant that the Tiger River was made to be less expensive by leaving out bells and whistles that some people (rightly) do not care about.  Not budget in that it was not a quality product!  :-[

-Ed

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 12:18:26 pm »
I was just teasin' ya.  It actually is considered, relative to many of the tubs we talk about here, as a budget.   ;)

However, compared to my old tub, this thing is a rolls royce
:D
07 Caldera Geneva

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 12:22:30 pm »
Just as a general rule, I tend to trust people more who believe they have the best product for the money and tell you why, rather than trying to drag their competitors down.  I would recommend finding a few different tubs that you like (wet test!), then buying from the dealer you trust the most.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 12:22:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42