What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 4328 times)

coachbob6811

New to the forum
« on: July 11, 2005, 08:12:21 am »
I just joined the forum this morning. My wife and I just started to search for a hot tub and were we ever surprised at how many mfgs. there are!

We live in Indianapolis and so far the ones we have looked at are Royal Spa, Sundance, Hot Springs, Cal Spa, and Viking. I've found some great info on this forum and I'm going to be sure to tell others I know about it.

We are looking for a nice 4 to 5 seat. I know there has been a lot of posts about these, but any info you could pass along would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

New to the forum
« on: July 11, 2005, 08:12:21 am »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 08:46:57 am »
I would say out of the list that you posted, hot spring would be my first choice.  I have not heard of a few of the other brands mentioned on this site before.

Spend the money and get a good tub, you will not regret it.  

Good luck, and dont forget to wet test, research, and wet test some more.  It is incredible to see how different the tubs feel when they are full of water.

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 08:58:33 am »
I just joined the forum this morning. My wife and I just started to search for a hot tub and were we ever surprised at how many mfgs. there are!

We live in Indianapolis and so far the ones we have looked at are Royal Spa, Sundance, Hot Springs, Cal Spa, and Viking. I've found some great info on this forum and I'm going to be sure to tell others I know about it.

We are looking for a nice 4 to 5 seat. I know there has been a lot of posts about these, but any info you could pass along would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome to the world of Hot Water, you will get a lot of good information here and what ever you end up buying you will enjoy it.

Of the ones you mention Sundance and Hot Springs are definitly at the upper end of the industry and worth looking at very closely to see why they have the industry recognition that they do.  It will give you a very good bench mark with which to measure all others for what they have and what they don't have.

You have probably had some thoughts on what you wanted to spend of budget for a Hot Tub, I would recommend keeping an open mind as you shop, compare and of course wet test.  We all stand ready to answer your most perplexing questions.  Good luck and welcome once again.

coachbob6811

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 10:02:23 am »
Thanks for the Welcome!!

I'll let you know what we finally decide on. I'm sure I'll be back with some questions too!

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 11:26:39 am »
We live in Indianapolis and so far the ones we have looked at are Royal Spa, Sundance, Hot Springs, Cal Spa, and Viking.

Alot of people on this board have said negative things about cal spas and, apparently, there is a bunch of information on ripoffreports about them.  but, there is also a cal spa dealer on here who might be able to provide some confidence in the brand.

Hot Springs and Sundance are the 800lb gorillas in the bunch.  I own a Hot Spring and a good friend owns a Sundance.  They are both good tubs and well-backed by their manufcturers.

The company that owns Hot Springs (Watkins) also makes Caldera spas which are a little less expensive, fewer bells and whistles, but still well build (and, possibly, built in the same factory).  You may want to poke around for a caldera dealer if you get any sticker shock. 8)

Good luck searching!

-Ed

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 11:32:40 am »

Hot Springs and Sundance have very good reputations and many satisfied owners here. Royal and Viking are smaller players that you don't hear too much about. Cal Spas is one I would avoid based on their reputation for customer service. Get to know your dealer, how long they've been around, do they servie their tubs, etc. Wet test the models you like and take your time.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 11:43:09 am »
I think you are probably real close to these guys you might want to take a look
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< :)

fatman

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 09:17:36 am »
You mentioned Royal hot tubs.....this brand does not have a computer as other brands do.  Royal claims that you do not need a computer to run a hot tub. I suppose that is an accurate statement but it means you will have to remember to manually start/stop filtering cycles on your own. The only advantages that I can see to not having a computer is that it can never malfunction if you don't have one to begin with and replacement costs associated with a computer. Royal insulates using plastic bags filled with fiberglass insulation that hang inside the cabinet. You can argue the effectiveness or even the method itself but I don't see anything wrong with it. This type of insulation isn't the norm but it certainly would make it easier for a repair tech. Another thing to consider is that Royal uses 48 frame motors. The rest of the hot tub world is going to 56 frame. I think they are worth checking out if for no other reason than to educate yourself a little more on tubs.

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 09:53:32 am »
What is the difference between 48 frame and 56 frame?
What does that mean to us average guys?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 10:08:28 am »
Well, as a regular joe "sixpack" (ok...Joe 12 pack  ;) )

Motor frames indicate the shaft size.  A larger frame equates to a bigger motor shaft.  In this case, I think we are talking about 1/2 an inch.  (3" vs 3.5")

Although,  I am sure the women in this forum will agree that bigger is usually better, but there are other factors to consider.   ;)

48 seems to be the standard, and I personally wouldn't make 48 vs 56 a deciding factor.  

Maybe we've got some gear heads lurking here that can explain it better?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 10:09:44 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

coachbob6811

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 11:52:50 am »
Thanks for the info on Royal!

We have a couple of friends who have them and really like them. The only problem that I have with them at this time is I ask to do a wet test in their Empress model, and they told me they didn't have one filled to try. I ask them if we could schedule a time when one would be ready, and they didn't seem to be real responsive.

I did send an e-mail, they did respond, and one of their sales people are going to contact us. So I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks,
Bob

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 12:45:07 pm »
There are ZERO Master Spas dealers in the Indy market. The manufacturer will not loosen it's grip on the shows, (state fair, flower and patio show, home show, etc.) so no one wants them.

I think you are probably real close to these guys you might want to take a look
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< :)

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 12:49:09 pm »
There are ZERO Master Spas dealers in the Indy market. The manufacturer will not loosen it's grip on the shows, (state fair, flower and patio show, home show, etc.) so no one wants them.

OK

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 12:58:36 pm »

Here in Columbus, just 150 miles east,  The Master dealer is one of the biggest and they don't do shows at all.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 01:03:04 pm »

Here in Columbus, just 150 miles east,  The Master dealer is one of the biggest and they don't do shows at all.

hhmmmm......
I would at least do a search then, of the surrounding area.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 01:03:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42