What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help Hockey fans  (Read 14483 times)

96SC

Help Hockey fans
« on: October 07, 2006, 03:53:33 pm »
I am going to a hockey game on Oct 25 (Carolina vs Atlanta) in Raleigh.  I haven't been to a game in 30 some years when I lived outside Chicago.  I didn't know the rules that well then and with some of the new rule changes last season I am really lost.
Can some of you help me.

I am taking some native South and North Carolinians, some who may have never seen ice except in a glass of iced tea, and I want to be able to semi intelligently answer their questions.

I do know how many points you get for a goal. (1).  

But icing and off sides have me stumped.  About the only thing I know about icing is that if you are short-handed, icing is legal or permitted.  I thought I knew about off sides until I watched a game recently and that blew whatever I thought I knew.  (a player on offense can not be beyond a blue or mid ice line in the direction of the opponents goal before the puck crosses the line.)  Or something like that.

The last time I went was in the old Chicago stadium, it smelled like stale beer and cigar smoke--I must admit the atmosphere was electric.  I hope the stadium in Raleigh has the same appeal, but I doubt if Carolinians can compare to Blackhawk fans.

Thank you. (do I have to type 'spa' to make this 'legal'?)
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

Help Hockey fans
« on: October 07, 2006, 03:53:33 pm »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Re: Help Hockey fans
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 06:32:08 pm »
Not quite sure what you mean by how many points one gets for a goal. Do you mean for individual statistics or as part of the game scoring.

A goal gives teh team that scored a goal one pint on the score board, but in hockey we do not call them points we call them gols. So if a tema wins 3-2, they one by one gola, if the win 4-2 they win by two goals and etc.

The offside rule is still the same - if a player crosses the blue line before the puck then he is offside. What has changed is the offside pass rule (better known as the two line pass). In the past if the pass crosses two lines (blue and red (center line)) prior to a plyer accepting the pass, it was called as an offside pass. The new rules have removed the red line (it's still there for icings, but is ignored for passes), so a pass can be made across the two lines (blue and red) without being called offside (the player receiving the pass is still not allowed to cross teh offensive blue line prior to the puck). This was introduced to create more offence by allowing a quick long pass in order to create more break aways.

Shootout:

As of the 2005-06 season, the NHL has adopted the shootout to settle ties in regular season games. The shootout is used if the game remains tied after five minutes of overtime.
Under the NHL format, each team names three shooters. If the game remains tied after the three shooters are done, the teams continue shooting in "sudden death" mode.

With the adoption of the shootout, ties are eliminated from the NHL standings. Teams are credited with two points for a win (listed as "W"), zero points for a regulation loss ("L") and one point for a game lost in overtime or a shootout ("OT").

Goals scored during the shootout do not count towards a player's total goals. Goals allowed during the shootout are not added to the goaltender's total goals against.

The winning team is credited with one extra goal in the final score, and credited with one extra goal in its total goals scored.
To facilitate the shootout, it will be preceeded by a two-minute break, during which the ice-clearing machine will cut a fresh lane from centre ice to each net.

The shootout will not be used in Stanley Cup playoff games.

Icing:

Shooting the puck over half the length of the ice. Considered a delaying tactic, it results in a stoppage in play and a faceoff in the offending team's defensive zone.
More specifically, icing is called when the puck is shot across the center line to the end of the ice. If the puck crosses the opposing goal line untouched, and is then retrieved by an opposing player, icing is called.

Summary of new rules:

On July 22, 2005, the board of governors approved the most radical set of NHL rule changes in many years. Most of the changes are designed to boost offensive chances and scoring, and several represent a return to rules that were in place years ago. This page looks at the major NHL rule changes for 2005-06, according to the latest media reports.

A new standard of enforcement for existing rules.
The league promises zero tolerance for hooking, holding, tripping, slashing, cross checking and interference. Players who use their stick or free hand to slow any opposing player will be penalized.
The Case: Time to put an end to the grappling, wrestling and bear-hugging that sucks the speed and skill from the game.
Impact: Initially it means way more penalties, which turns the power play into the most important tool on any NHL team.

If the new standard is permanent, it will definitely open up the offensive play.
Down Side: What good is a hockey game if you can't hit anybody? Half the appeal is watching the stars succeed in a physically brutal environment. And who needs the constant parade to the penalty box? Do we want every night to look like the annual NHL All Star Game, always a contact-free, wide open, high-scoring, and painfully boring affair?

Tie games are decided by a shootout.
Regular season games continue as before: 60 minutes of regulation time followed by five minutes of 4-on-4 overtime to break a tie. If it remains tied, a shootout determines the winner.
The shootout explained
The Case: Nobody likes ties. Everybody loves penalty shots. Or so it's said.
Impact: Should be a big hit with the fans. Goal scorers will enjoy it. Tie games are eliminated, though the NHL will continue to award one point for a shootout or overtime loss.
Down Side: Most NHL execs used to dismiss the shootout as a cheap gimmick. The shootout remains controversial, with some concern that its novelty will fade if fans see it too often. And what effect will it have on the preceding game? Might some teams play a conservative defensive style, prefering to guarantee one point and take their chances with a shootout?

The two-line pass is legal.
The red line at center ice remains, but used for icing calls only. A pass from the defensive zone all the way to the opposing blue line is legal. This is also the rule in the NCAA, international hockey and Europe.
The Case: The dreaded neutral zone trap clogs the ice and destroys hockey's entertainment value. With the The blue lines move closer together, reducing the size of the neutral zone from 54 to 50 feet. The goal line is pushed two feet closer to the end of the rink.
The Case: Help the offense, especially on power plays, by giving them more ice to work with in the opposition zone. Also, there is too much wasted space behind the nets.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 06:33:10 pm »
Teams that ice the puck cannot change players before the next faceoff.
The Case: Icing is boring, boring, boring.

Teams indulging in it should not be rewarded. Anything to discourage icing is good for the game.
Impact: Teams under pressure often ice the puck out of exhaustion and desperation. If the same players are forced to keep playing, it's a prime opportunity for the opponent.
Down Side: The first time a team gives up a crucial goal because tired players were not allowed off the ice, the coach and GM will scream blue murder. Let them.

The “tag-up” offside rule is reinstated.
The Case: Why blow the whistle automatically, just because a player is offside in the opponet's zone? The new rule gives them a chance to get back to the blue line (where they "tag up"), at which point the offside is nullfied, so they can charge back in to resume the attack.
Impact: Anything that prevents more whistles is good.
Down Side: The tag-up option was discarded because it was said to encourage too many shoot-ins. A defenseman can throw the puck deep any time, whether his teammates are offside or not. They tag up and go after the opposing defenseman, who gathers the puck and throws it back out, where the other guy gathers it and throws it back in...

More fines and suspensions for fighters.
A player who instigates a fight in the final five minutes of a game receives a game misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The length of the suspension doubles with each additional incident. The player's coach is fined $10,000, a fine that doubles with each such incident.

Further "officiating points of emphasis"
- Zero tolerance on interference, hooking and holding/obstruction.
- Linesmen can wave off an icing call if they believe the icing to be the result of an errant pass.
- Goaltenders will be penalized for delaying the game if they "freeze" the puck unnecessarily.
- Players penalized for diving are subject to fines and suspensions for repeat offenses.
- Any player who shoots the puck directly over the glass in his defending zone will be penalized for delay of game.

Ideas Considered and Rejected
- Changing the points system. It will remain two points for a win and one point for an overtime or shootout loss.
- Playing three-on-three overtime if the game remains tied after five minutes of four-on-four overtime.
- Bigger nets.
- A larger pool of playoff teams.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 06:33:31 pm by cooltoy2000 »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 08:14:20 pm »
I am taking some native South and North Carolinians, some who may have never seen ice except in a glass of iced tea, and I want to be able to semi intelligently answer their questions.

Heck, they're from the Carolina's! Just make up rules as you go along. They won't know the difference.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

96SC

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 11:24:02 pm »
Thanks for the info I have gotten so far.  I remembered, after the reminder, that a puck in the net is called a goal, sorry. :-[
And points are awarded to teams for standings sake.

I don't think I'll remember all the icing and off sides particulars so like Spatech t.u.o. says, I may just make up my own rules, but I will try to understand them. (I officiate high school football so I understand rule gobbledeegoop)

I also have a feeling that my friends are expecting a hockey game to break out in the middle of a fight. (sic).  I have noticed that when two players are fighting as long as they are both on their feet they can beat the snot out of each other but as soon as one of them is on the ice, the officials step in.  You'd think while they are on their feet they could fall and crack their skulls, but I suppose a punch to the nose while the guys head is laying on the ice could be quite dangerous too.

Cgy_Spa

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 11:58:40 pm »
Hey Cooltoy.....you in Calgary, or just a Flames fan?

In Canada eh

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 01:41:49 am »
Hey cooltoy,

Going over the rules of hockey with someone from the Carolina's

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;

Kinda reminds you of the Fox glow puck eh ;D
Bullfrog 451

Cgy_Spa

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 02:21:52 am »
Great.....until I read that, I had successfully blocked the memory of the glowing puck from my mind!  Back to therapy I guess............

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 02:34:22 am »
Hey Cooltoy.....you in Calgary, or just a Flames fan?

Both.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 02:35:03 am »
Hey cooltoy,

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;

It's a strange world we live in.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 02:35:58 am »
Thanks for the info I have gotten so far.  I remembered, after the reminder, that a puck in the net is called a goal, sorry. :-[
And points are awarded to teams for standings sake.

I don't think I'll remember all the icing and off sides particulars so like Spatech t.u.o. says, I may just make up my own rules, but I will try to understand them. (I officiate high school football so I understand rule gobbledeegoop)

I also have a feeling that my friends are expecting a hockey game to break out in the middle of a fight. (sic).  I have noticed that when two players are fighting as long as they are both on their feet they can beat the snot out of each other but as soon as one of them is on the ice, the officials step in.  You'd think while they are on their feet they could fall and crack their skulls, but I suppose a punch to the nose while the guys head is laying on the ice could be quite dangerous too.

I can draw pictures for you if you'd like. :P :D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 10:09:19 am »
Hockey just isn't the same anymore ... I've seen the Rangers, Islanders and whoever they were playing back in the 70's and there were't helmets, goalies wore plastic masks and they had fewer rules.

Don't get me wrong, the rules to protect players from high sticking and such should be there but I don't like some (or most) of the rules. I haven't been to a NHL game in years but go to an AHL team - costs A LOT less ($7.00 a ticket) and the kids have a great time.

Then again I guess everything changes as time goes on ...

In Canada eh

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 11:33:30 am »
I haven't been to a NHL game in years but go to an AHL team - costs A LOT less ($7.00 a ticket)

The town I live in just bought the defunct Cincinnati AHL team and everyone one here is looking forward to seeing a game :)  They are building a new arena/horse racing track complex/slot machine facility that has everyone very excited :)
Bullfrog 451

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 02:44:08 pm »
Sorry, it's an ECHL team and the $7 ticket was through the school ... don't you just hate when people give you the wrong info!

In Jersey they have counties and the my county built an indoor arena that is great. It's small (10,000 people) vs Madison Square Garden (35,000 I think) and every seat is a good seat.

We've seen concerts, the circus, hockey, monster trucks and the Harlem Globe Trotters. Every one of those were cheaper than going into Phily or NY and as I said every seat is great. Our AHL team is a Flyer farm team and they do put on a great show for the kids and they have contests and give-a-ways. At even $12 a ticket a family of 4 can get away with a $100 night by the time you add in food and drinks.

We even have a farm team for baseball that pretty much is the same deal as the hockey.

96SC

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 03:40:25 pm »
Hey cooltoy,

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;

I'm originally from northern Illinois so hockey isn't totally foreign to me, but its been years since I have been around it that I knew I had forgotten  more than I remembered.

I use to watch it when Bobby Hall and Stan Makita were with the Blackhawks.  Face sheilds/masks were unheard of even for goalies.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 03:44:08 pm by 96SC »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 03:40:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42