What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Owner of New England Spa and Sunroom  (Read 12204 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Owner of New England Spa and Sunroom
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 01:00:50 pm »
Drewstar, you mentioned you wanted to go over cover lift install with them.  Did they not install the cover lift for you?  I would think this would be done as part of the intital set up.  Just wondering.

No the cover lifter was not installted by the dealer. Yea, I was a bit surprised that it wasn't installed, but they were upfront about it and it's not a problem.  I looked at the install directions the other day and it doesn't look difficult at all, but I wanted to double check and talk with the rep before I started drilling holes in my new tub.  

Hopefully I'll get the cover lifter  on quickly.  I don't like manually taking the cover off.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 01:01:12 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 01:00:50 pm »

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 01:14:31 pm »
I was wondering about that, also, but didn't get back to it to comment...  I'd have no problem doing it myself, mechanically, either, but could also be a little leery about where exactly to drill holes.  They've done it a thousand times, and would be responsible if it went wrong or affected anything else, why wasn't it part of the deal?

Strange, I think.
--
Lee

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 01:20:35 pm »
I was wondering about that, also, but didn't get back to it to comment...  I'd have no problem doing it myself, mechanically, either, but could also be a little leery about where exactly to drill holes.  They've done it a thousand times, and would be responsible if it went wrong or affected anything else, why wasn't it part of the deal?

Strange, I think.

Christ, now you got me worried.  :)

Probably to limit thier liability.  They outsourced thier delivery too.

Hmmm. Better double check and make sure i don't use too long of a drill bit.  :o
07 Caldera Geneva

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 01:26:59 pm »
Yes, that would be my concern as well.  If you hit a wire or worse case scenario drill into a plumbing line, who is going to fix it?  My lifter was installed by the HS people who delivered my spa.  I just thought it was all part of the deal when you buy a lifter along with your initial purchase.  I could see maybe having to do it yourself if you decided to add it down the road but if it is part of your inital delivery I would expect them to install it.  How do some of you dealers on here handle it?  Do you install the lifter if it is purchased with the origianl purchase?  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 01:36:14 pm »
Yes, that would be my concern as well.  If you hit a wire or worse case scenario drill into a plumbing line, who is going to fix it?  My lifter was installed by the HS people who delivered my spa.  I just thought it was all part of the deal when you buy a lifter along with your initial purchase.  I could see maybe having to do it yourself if you decided to add it down the road but if it is part of your inital delivery I would expect them to install it.  How do some of you dealers on here handle it?  Do you install the lifter if it is purchased with the origianl purchase?  

I doubt the plumbing is that close to the cabinet wall. Right CHAS?!?!?!
07 Caldera Geneva

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 01:47:28 pm »
I doubt it too.  You should be fine but you may want to confirm(like you suggested) what size drill bit to use and to what depth you should drill the holes.  

leisure

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 01:50:20 pm »
As a dealer, when we deliver a spa the install team installs the lifter, ozone and steps to your tub after they set it where you want it. We would rather do it instead of taking a chance that a customer hits something when he is drilling. After you get it hooked up with electrical one of the guys goes back and explains the whole tub, valves and chemicals to you. Generaly he spends about 1.5 to 2 hours with customers so you feel good with what you have. Tech questions can be answered either by our tech or the lady in the office. They both know tubs in and out...

Does that answer you question Perk1 ? ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 01:55:22 pm »

Probably to limit thier liability.  They outsourced thier delivery too.

My delivery was outsourced as well, and it was the last one, they fired the delivery company and hired their own people after that.  I have no idea what Stan and Laurel do for a living now.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 01:56:20 pm »
I doubt it too.  You should be fine but you may want to confirm(like you suggested) what size drill bit to use and to what depth you should drill the holes.  

Excuse me, are you suggesting my drill  bit is too small? Have you been talking to my wife again?  :o
07 Caldera Geneva

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 03:29:19 pm »
Leisure, that is exactly the service I received and sort of why I was shocked that Drewstar has to install his own lifter.

Drewstar, its not the size of the bit but the motion ...oh never mind ...LOL

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2005, 03:46:38 pm »
[I was gonna offer some witty drill bit comment, but I think that's been covered... :) ]

As for this whole lifter situation, I can't believe that these people gave you the lifter and said 'here, install it'.  Sundance's warranty (for one) says pretty plainly that any repairs/alterations (and a lifter install could be construed as such) by non-SD-authorized folks (such as the owner.. :)  ) make you responsible for the results thereof  (See the last line, in particular.)

Here's part of the current 880 warrranty Exclusions section:

This Limited Warranty is void if Sundance Spas, Inc. or its designated representative determines that the Sundance spa has been subjected to alteration, neglect, misuse or abuse; if any repairs have been attempted by anyone other than Sundance Spas, Inc. or its designated representative; or if failure is cause by accident, acts of God or other causes beyond the control of Sundance Spas, Inc. Neglect, misuse and abuse include any installation, operation or maintenance  of the spa other than in accordance with the instructions contained in the owner’s manual provided with the spa, including (but not limited to) the failure to maintain proper water chemistry and chemical balance and the use of abrasive or improper cleaners. This Limited Warranty does not provide coverage for the insulating cover, any item attached to, or installed on, the spa after the date of manufacture, or for gaining access to any component for repair or replacement. The spa owner accepts liability for repair work performed by anyone other than a designated Sundance Spas, Inc. representative.

Besides all of which, if I pay $x,xxx for a spa, I expect it in my yard in perfect condition, with all accessories in place, where I wanted it, complete with any training that I needed (chems, features, etc.).

I sure hope this is not normal industry practice, and it doesn't seem so from what I see here on this board!
--
Lee

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2005, 03:47:17 pm »
Leisure, that is exactly the service I received and sort of why I was shocked that Drewstar has to install his own lifter.

Drewstar, its not the size of the bit but the motion ...oh never mind ...LOL

I was lead to belive this was common practice.  Grrrrr.

You know, too late for me, but perhaps we could compile list of what a consumer can expect from a dealer could be made to help new shoppers?  Things like the lifter installed,  spa orientation,  etc?

Oh, it's not the motion of the bit, but my problem is my driling is too quick,....yea. never mind...back to spas. ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 03:48:42 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2005, 03:54:17 pm »
My lifter had to be installed before the spa was put into place anyway since one of the sides of my spa with the lifter is about a foot from my house.  If the spa was slid into place and filled with water there would be no way to install the lifter unless you flew in very tiny instruments(Seinfeld reference...LOL!!!)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 04:03:09 pm »
[I was gonna offer some witty drill bit comment, but I think that's been covered... :) ]

As for this whole lifter situation, I can't believe that these people gave you the lifter and said 'here, install it'.  Sundance's warranty (for one) says pretty plainly that any repairs/alterations (and a lifter install could be construed as such) by non-SD-authorized folks (such as the owner.. :)  ) make you responsible for the results thereof  (See the last line, in particular.)

Here's part of the current 880 warrranty Exclusions section:

This Limited Warranty is void if Sundance Spas, Inc. or its designated representative determines that the Sundance spa has been subjected to alteration, neglect, misuse or abuse; if any repairs have been attempted by anyone other than Sundance Spas, Inc. or its designated representative; or if failure is cause by accident, acts of God or other causes beyond the control of Sundance Spas, Inc. Neglect, misuse and abuse include any installation, operation or maintenance  of the spa other than in accordance with the instructions contained in the owner’s manual provided with the spa, including (but not limited to) the failure to maintain proper water chemistry and chemical balance and the use of abrasive or improper cleaners. This Limited Warranty does not provide coverage for the insulating cover, any item attached to, or installed on, the spa after the date of manufacture, or for gaining access to any component for repair or replacement. The spa owner accepts liability for repair work performed by anyone other than a designated Sundance Spas, Inc. representative.

Besides all of which, if I pay $x,xxx for a spa, I expect it in my yard in perfect condition, with all accessories in place, where I wanted it, complete with any training that I needed (chems, features, etc.).

I sure hope this is not normal industry practice, and it doesn't seem so from what I see here on this board!

You know that warm fuzzy feeling I had this morning when I posted how they came back and did what they originally promised?

Yea, after reading this, its gone.  :P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 04:03:38 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 04:07:12 pm »
Well, if we want a 'best standard practice' (or what we wish it were, I would think what I listed would be a start.

In summary:

1.  Everything I ordered in place at the time of delivery unless there's a good excuse.  I would hope the dealer wouldn't insist on full payment without delivering the goods!

2. 'In place' means, of course dealer installed items like ozonators, lifters, whatever else, are installed, working, and in perfect order. (No missing filter covers and other stupid things like that.  Have spares on hand or think ahead and order it so it's ready!)

3.  And then the training, as needed.

Anything else to add to that list?  I don't expect a dealer or crew to sit there while it fills and heats, but they should be available for questions, which should be few and far between if 1 and 2 and 3 have been done correctly! :)
--
Lee

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 04:07:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42