What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Itchy!!!  (Read 1858 times)

tooth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Itchy!!!
« on: June 11, 2005, 05:46:18 am »
We have had our tub going now for just over a month.  Everything has been wonderful except I have developed an itchy series of small red spots on my chest and lower back.

I have been faithfully monitoring my chemicals on a daily basis (I am using bromine as my sanitizer) and have taken in water samples over the last two weeks to have them analyzed.  Each reading indicates that the alkalinity and pH are slightly low and the calcium hardness level also seems low.

My dealer mentioned that I might have an allergy to bromine (my wife has not had any problems) and that I should monitor it after assuring that the alkalinity and pH levels are right.  I tested it last night before a soak and the bromine level seemed quite high.  I have been adding a tablespoon of bromine after each use along with weekly shocking.  If the problem continues they recommended draining the tub and switching to chorine.

Has anyone else noticed similiar problems with bromine or am I the only one? I would appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Thanks guys :)

Hot Tub Forum

Itchy!!!
« on: June 11, 2005, 05:46:18 am »

J._McD

Re: Itchy!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 06:25:37 am »
Pseudomonas is the equivalent of what is called “Hot Tub rash”.  It is a bacterium that latches on to the hair follicle.  It is common especially in new hot Tubs.  The solution is cortisone applications and to run it’s course takes a week to ten days.  It is caused by bacteria in the water.  To confirm this you could ask your dealer bor a bateria test or seek a source where you can get one.  Basically, it is a small petrie dish for testing a water sample.  It will "grow" colonies with in 24 hours of the test.

With the high levels of bromine in your water, I would think you have enough sanitizer to kill bacteria.  You MUST balance your pH and Alkalinity so they are in the OK range and test the water for “free” chlorine or bromine indicating an active sanitizer.  Water chemistry is VERY important and should be treated seriously.

Once you get the hang of it, everything will fall into place.  You are now in the advanced stages of learning about Hot Tubs.

Sensitivities and allergies are a possibility, but I would go the most common first.  You water should sparkling clean and crystal clear before using the spa.  If it is not, don’t use it until it is.  I would recommend dumping the water and starting fresh and switch to granular chlorine and only granular crystals of chlorine.  Not liquid, not tablets, but granular.

What kind of spa is it that you are working with and do you have an ozonator? ???

tooth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 06:53:23 am »
We have a Caldera Martinique.  The water is always crystal clear and we keep the bromine levels up.  I just tested the tub again first thing this morning and the pH and alkaline levels seem OK.  We don't have an ozonator as it was never really recommended when we bought the tub.

Thanks for for input. ;D

zzaphod42

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 10:22:48 am »
To confirm this you could ask your dealer for a bateria test or seek a source where you can get one.

Do very many dealers have the equipment necessary to test for bacteria in the water?

J._McD

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 10:40:41 am »
No, typically they do not, we buy them from the health department and use them only occasionally.  They are $10 a piece, but it tells the truth.

Rachel

• Four Winds Maverick I
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 10:49:19 am »
My daughter's friend just got back from visiting her Dad in Florida. He has a brand new hot tub and she came home with tons of red spots (looked like insect bites) all over the backs of her legs and on her torso. Her Mom took her right away to the Pediatrician and the first thing he asked was "has she been in a hot tub?" I guess you can get what's called Folliculitus (sp?) from hot tubs .... She's being treated with an antibiotic.  We are in the process of buying a hot tub.  In the meantime I'm also checking out water purification companies. I want to try and eliminate anything yucky that's in our town water as well as try to prevent the pipes, valves, etc from corroding from our very hard water. I think having soft water will help.   Good luck and ask Doc about that folliculitus.'
Rachel

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 10:49:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42