What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is your warranty what you think it is?  (Read 4050 times)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Is your warranty what you think it is?
« on: May 27, 2005, 12:16:04 pm »
Bill has brought up an interesting point where the following manufacturers will not honor warranty work caused by the use of chlorine pucks (trichlor). They are as follows:

-HotSpring (which I knew)
-Caldera
-Sundance
-Jacuzzi Premium
-Marquis
-D1

Can owners or dealers of these products confirm this? ???

I just don't have the time to research this statement so I'm taking the easy way out! ;D

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Is your warranty what you think it is?
« on: May 27, 2005, 12:16:04 pm »

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
Re: Is your warranty what you think it is?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 01:37:15 pm »
I don't know about 'dealers' experience but the Sundance 2005 880 Owners' Manual (Maxxus, et al.) states:
IMPORTANT: Do not use chlorine tablets (Trichlor) in your hot tub. This chemical can have an extremely corrosive effect on certain materials in the hot tub. Damage caused by use of this chemical, or improper use of any chemicals, is not covered under the hot tub’s warranty.

Thus, I would assume any chemical damage to any part of the spa would be assumed by SD to be caused by the trichlor unless you could prove otherwise! :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 01:38:38 pm by leesweet »
--
Lee

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 02:11:28 pm »
The bigger question I have is, why would you ever use tri-chlor pucks on your spa? Even if it doesn't effect the shell it will destroy the plastic in the jets over time!

jaxxon

• Friends dont let friends soak alone...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 02:21:57 pm »
Not sure about the other spas, but here is what Vita Spa warranty sais.
" NEVER USE CHLORINE TABLETS (TRICHLOR) IN YOUR SPA.  This chemical can have an extremely corrosive effect on certain materials in the spa.  Damage caused by the use of Trichlor or acids is not covered under the spa warranty."   8)

Snuggles

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 03:30:08 pm »

This is from Jacuzzi Premium:

CAUTION: Do not use chlorine tablets (Trichlor) in your spa. This
chemical can have an extremely corrosive effect on certain materials
in the spa. Damage caused by use of this chemical, or improper
use of any chemicals, is not covered under the spa's warranty.

shabba34

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 03:36:06 pm »
The stuff they grow now is a lot stronger than what we had in the 70's, so it may be corrossive to your brain cells... I mean spa shell.... Wait a minute, what forum is this.... 8)

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 05:05:10 pm »
Um, as far as *I* know, their's no warranty on your brain cells.  At least, I don't have one.  If I did, I'd be rich.  :)

Anyhoo, I'm assuming from this thread and other discussion here that it's not all lawyer banter [where everything under the sun is a violation of the warranty], but that trichlor is really a *bad thing* for a spa.  Not so?
--
Lee

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 06:27:39 pm »
So.  

I have the same warning as posted above in my 2003 owners manual.  I'd assume that tri chlor is bad for spas, or the warning wouldn't specifically mention tri chlor.
Proceed at your own risk.

Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 10:51:15 am »
Bad stuff for tubs.

Also bad stuff for tubs: Bromine tablets. They contain almost half chlorine.

:(
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 11:18:53 am »
Simply put, don't use tri-chlor, hydrogen peroxide or muriatic acids for any water chemisty purpose in any Hot Tub.

This question is appropriate and Stuart's statement emphasizes the impact.  "Why use tri-chlor at all...?"

It is about self detructive behavior or ignorance when it comes to using "generic" solutions to water chemistry without knowing about the consequences.  Some people are just smarter than the average bear out there and insist on generic solutions because they are not going to be "hoodwinked" into using high priced chemicals when cheaper solutions are available.

We are all ignorant about something, and when somebody knows a little bit about something, they walk and talk like a know it all expert.

Fact of the matter is, the manufacturer is being held accountable and responsible for this ignorance and they clearly state it in the warranty.  Tri-chlor will VOID your warranty.  But that is not good enough because I have seen spa sellers sell tri-chlor to customer for use in their hot tubs.  So this is IMPORTANT. >:(

When we all get our spas for the first time, what do we know about water chemistry?  Only what we learn and there is a lot of bad advice out there.

I think this could be come a HOT TOPIC about "What Does Your Warranty Say" and it could be very educational.

When people shop, maybe you too, they all hear or ask, tell me about your warranty.  The repsonse is spontaeneous, 10, 7, 5, 5, and 5  for whatever that means.  What about 10 years ago when you heard 25 years and even today "lifetime".  Why do we measure warranties this way.

The TRUTH BE KNOWN, what they give you in numbers, they take away with words, Exclusions, Limitations, Pro-rations etc.  Getting a copy of the warranty to read and understand never seems to dawn on the shopper untill you ask them "why not ask for a copy"?

Let's review your warranty exclusions, limitations, and prorations.  What does your warranty say.

There is one warranty out there that gives the stated 10 yrs on structure, 7 years on the surface, etc. except the 7 years is not valid unless, and it clearly states, "if' the structure (10 year section) fails.  Can you imagine that one little word "IF" makes 7 = 0

WHAT DOES YOUR WARRANTY SAY?? ???
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 11:21:15 am by J._McD »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 11:38:59 am »
We are all ignorant about something,

I didn't know that....

;)

zzaphod42

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 02:54:11 pm »
Simply put, don't use tri-chlor, hydrogen peroxide or muriatic acids for any water chemisty purpose in any Hot Tub.

This question is appropriate and Stuart's statement emphasizes the impact.  "Why use tri-chlor at all...?"

It is about self detructive behavior or ignorance when it comes to using "generic" solutions to water chemistry without knowing about the consequences.  Some people are just smarter than the average bear out there and insist on generic solutions because they are not going to be "hoodwinked" into using high priced chemicals when cheaper solutions are available.

We are all ignorant about something, and when somebody knows a little bit about something, they walk and talk like a know it all expert.

Fact of the matter is, the manufacturer is being held accountable and responsible for this ignorance and they clearly state it in the warranty.  Tri-chlor will VOID your warranty.  But that is not good enough because I have seen spa sellers sell tri-chlor to customer for use in their hot tubs.  So this is IMPORTANT. >:(

When we all get our spas for the first time, what do we know about water chemistry?  Only what we learn and there is a lot of bad advice out there.

I think this could be come a HOT TOPIC about "What Does Your Warranty Say" and it could be very educational.

When people shop, maybe you too, they all hear or ask, tell me about your warranty.  The repsonse is spontaeneous, 10, 7, 5, 5, and 5  for whatever that means.  What about 10 years ago when you heard 25 years and even today "lifetime".  Why do we measure warranties this way.

The TRUTH BE KNOWN, what they give you in numbers, they take away with words, Exclusions, Limitations, Pro-rations etc.  Getting a copy of the warranty to read and understand never seems to dawn on the shopper untill you ask them "why not ask for a copy"?

Let's review your warranty exclusions, limitations, and prorations.  What does your warranty say.

There is one warranty out there that gives the stated 10 yrs on structure, 7 years on the surface, etc. except the 7 years is not valid unless, and it clearly states, "if' the structure (10 year section) fails.  Can you imagine that one little word "IF" makes 7 = 0

WHAT DOES YOUR WARRANTY SAY?? ???

Another solution would be to buy a tub that DOESN'T have a page full of Exclusions, Limitations, Pro-rations etc.  8)

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 03:38:39 pm »
Bad stuff for tubs.

Also bad stuff for tubs: Bromine tablets. They contain almost half chlorine.

:(

Huh?  Do you mean all bromine?  Or just 'bromine tablets''?  Like Cl tables are really trichlor and are the bad ones... ?
--
Lee

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 04:01:39 pm »
Another solution would be to buy a tub that DOESN'T have a page full of Exclusions, Limitations, Pro-rations etc.  8)

And that would be which brand?

zzaphod42

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 05:40:09 pm »
And that would be which brand?

Beachcomber for one...and there may be others that I am not aware of?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 05:40:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42