What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Idea for MORE than 104 F Degrees  (Read 14343 times)

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: Idea for MORE than 104 F Degrees
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 12:56:13 pm »
Jc and Chas,

I think you are both right!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 12:56:13 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 03:23:18 pm »
Here's an idea for you, make a Bloody Mary with this stuff and you will enjoy your tub at 97 degrees. In fact you will insist on it!

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 05:24:19 pm »
I think if I were to use that stuff I'd be needin' to sit on a different kind of tub. :)
How do you know how much you don't know?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2005, 08:57:15 am »
I think if I were to use that stuff I'd be needin' to sit on a different kind of tub. :)

whooOOOaaa......FIRE IN DA HOLE[/red]......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2005, 09:25:30 am »
I use that stuff for toothpaste. Bring it on.

Kidding...  :o :o :o :o :o ::)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2005, 08:13:34 am »
I use that stuff for toothpaste. Bring it on.:)

Just don't mistake it for your Preparation H........ ;D
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2005, 09:32:03 am »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2005, 12:10:43 am »
LOL!  That's Funny!!! ;D
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

hot toddy

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 08:40:53 pm »
Hi All:

I've been reading lately about how to increase the maximum temperature for tubs (beyond 104) in numerous posts on this forum. Hot Springs obviously has a solution, I know that Jacuzzi tubs allow for "jumper" position changes that can be used to by-pass the limits and, as in my case, you can always pull back the on the temperature probe to “fool” the spa controller.

On spas such as mine, with Gecko control packs, there's no real way to by-pass the 104 limit (even Bubba Stu couldn't figure out how, and THAT'S saying something...) other than backing out the probe. Doing this will get you up to 110 as long as just the circ pump and heater is on, BUT, when the pumps come on, the "real" temp gets read by the probe and the heater kicks off. As a result, the higher temperature can’t be maintained (especially in the winter) and drops to the cooler range.

So, I was sitting in my tub last night contemplating this problem and I came up with an idea (I knew I smelled something burning). Hot tub temps are measured using solid metal probes mounted in the shell and outside the heater. The spa controller monitors each temperature and adjusts the heater, along with shutting down the system if things get too hot (High Limit) or if the temperature readings don't match closely enough (Temp Probe error).

Now, I'm thinking that to measure the temperature with these probes, a weak electrical current is passed through them with the increase in resistance caused by heating of the metal probe used to calculate temperature (someone please correct me if this assumption is WRONG). The return current is weaker, so the spa controller can calculate the temperature using changes in the resistance values.

OK, so let's try this. Build a board with a digital readout and 4 pairs of connectors. The "top" connectors are the wires from the probes, the "bottom" connectors go the spa pack. The board input is from the probes. It senses the "real" resistance values and knows what the "real" temperature is. This value is displayed on the readout. The board also allows the user to "choose" a temperature setting (say up to 110 F), also displayed on the readout. The board output is to the spa pack, using the original probe leads. The board is wired between the probes and the spa pack.

Now, here's the trick. When the “real” temperature is less than the board setting, the board "returns" a resistance value of 80 F to the spa controller using the output connectors. The spa controller then turns the heater on because it reads a "low" temperature. Once the chosen board temperature is reached, the board "returns" a resistance value of 105 F, causing the spa controller to shut the heater off. In essence, the board "bypasses" the temperature sensing capability of the spa controller and allows the user to exceed maximum temperature limits.

I'm thinking such a device could be fairly small, powered by batteries? I know that in my tub, it would be very easy to run the probe wires to this "box" anywhere near the spa control pack.

AND, I know, I know, "it would create all kinds of liability if you made it or sold it." Hmmmm, let's see now, how may "hot rod shops" are held liable for all those aftermarket car parts that create engines with 400 HP in Honda Civics and probably result in hundreds of accidents per year?

OK you guys that are EE's or Biomedical Engineers (VINNY!), any ideas?

Thanks...

Drewski

;D  

Drew-

great thinking....i own a Coast Spas TV-80 model...super nice tub, with a Gecko TSPA-1 Spa Pack....would love to be able to increase the temperature to 108-112 or so.

can you email me an update on what you wound up doing and what additional thoughts you might have now?

thanks much

Todd

Chashoagie

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2021, 09:51:47 am »
What about adding a 1 k resistor in series with the sensing thermistor?  Thermistors decrease resistance with increasing temperature so this will makethe system think it is cooler so you can bypass the 104 limit.thinking

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2021, 09:51:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42