What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used water  (Read 3638 times)

NDfar

Used water
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:56:00 am »
When you change water can the old water be used on your lawn, or are the chemicals going to brown it up?  I was thinking of using a pump and hooking to a sprinkler to water the lawn. ::)

Hot Tub Forum

Used water
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:56:00 am »

wrobo

• Go Buckeyes !!!
Re: Used water
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 09:01:17 am »
In April, I did my first water change.  The alkalinity and pH were at the normal levels, and the chlorine read at 0 ppm.  500 gallons going into the lawn.  No damage to the lawn.

I think that the important part would be that you be sure that your chlorine read 0 ppm.

Jeff

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 11:01:44 am »
Exactly what Jeff said! Anything less than .5ppm of chlorine is safe on your lawn. All municipalities have a slight chlorine content to their water as it is.

Steve

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 11:11:48 pm »
I always tell people that as long as they don't add anything the previous 48 hrs (assuming it wasn';t a superchlorination) they're welcome to reuse the drained water on the lawn, shrubs, etc. (always a good thing).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 08:10:01 am »
What about Bromine?  I've been draining the water away from the lawn just to be sure.  
Brewman
Brewman

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 11:05:19 am »
Same rule of thumb Brewman.

Steve

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 11:59:56 am »
Just to jump on the bandwagon, the greenest healthiest part of my lawn is within 30 feet of my hot tub. Been draining it into the back yard for more than 2 years now.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

NDfar

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 08:59:17 am »
How about in the Northern climates.  Will the water freeze and cause damage during a winter change?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 09:13:50 am »
How about in the Northern climates.  Will the water freeze and cause damage during a winter change?

It hasn't been an issue for me.  We regularly get rain one day and a hard freeze the next time.  I'm guessing by the way golf courses run, just don't walk on the grass if that happens.  When ever there is frost in the morning, they don't let you tee off till its gone.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Soakin

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 12:43:45 pm »
 Yes, it will freeze, and will do the same kind of damage to a lawn that flooding a skating rink does (although I suspect it would be a wonderful way to resurface a backyard rink, the warm water would fill in cracks and level itself nicely. :D), plus it will be a potential "slip and fall" hazard until spring.  I would run a winter drain through the house if you can.

Mid-winter water changes are a hassle here in the Northland (I'm in MN), with freezing temps and risks to empty pipes and pumps while the water drains.  I personally change water in late November, then try to make it to March, picking a nice day at the earliest convenience.  If the water goes south on you before then, a partial drain and fill will help freshen it up.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 02:21:44 pm »
I'm with Soakin.  I delay the fall water change into late October, or early November, and ride it out till spring.  
I don't want to risk some refill malfunction when it's cold enough for the residual water left in the pipes to freeze.  Remotely possible, but enough to scare me.
Brewman  
Brewman

NDfar

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 08:10:18 am »
Thanks everyone, it alll makes sense to me!! ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 08:10:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42