What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking for Small Hot Tub  (Read 6010 times)

guarn3md

• Still waiting...
Looking for Small Hot Tub
« on: May 09, 2005, 10:01:10 am »
DH and I are looking to purchase a Hot Tub - max 7' X 7'.
Last summer we had a patio installed in the backyard with a hot tub pad under in preparation for purchase of tub this year.  We want a small hot tub - for the two of us, at times 3 yr old son and occasional visitors.  Do not need bells and whistles, mainly because budget does not allow- $5000k.  Plus we want to plug into existing outside outlet.
We have looked at the Caldera Cumberland (while visiting family in NJ) and seems to fit our needs exactly!  I just realized that it is the same tub as the Hot Spot Sorrento.  The Hot Spot/ Hotspring dealer is local, in fact two in town (Annap and Severna Park!).  The Caldera dealer not so local (Rockville - other side of beltway, uggghhhh!  :-[)
Any thoughts on these tubs??????  
We both like the fact that we can hook up to 230V when out budget permits (told by Calderal dealer), but that we can enjoy right away with the 115V.
What about the Coleman 105?  There is a dealer somewhat local approx. 45 mins....
With a $5000 budget I am just hoping to get a tub from major manufacturer but in their value line!  :D
Any help is much appreciated!
Debbie

Hot Tub Forum

Looking for Small Hot Tub
« on: May 09, 2005, 10:01:10 am »

Kulta

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Looking for Small Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 11:51:36 am »
Hi; We have had our Solana TX model for 3 mos, a great fit for my wife & me. It fits into a corner of the glassed in sun room. Very economical as only a few $ increase in the elec bill. We are in Fl check to see if your state forgoes the sales tax with an RX from your DR. We are very pleased with our tub. Look at www.solanaspas.com We paid $3345 delivered with a 30 amp subpanel
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 12:12:00 pm by Kulta »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 11:54:08 am »
The 415 from Marquis spas everyday line ...might be something for you to consider..Plugs in to standard outlet and you can convert to 220 later if you desire ...order it with the constant clean and easy care package and you should meet your price goals....it is a very nice spa that works well for many.....

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 06:55:57 pm »
I would recomend the HotSpot or Solana over the Caldera. Same price point but Caldera is just a redheaded stepchild to the original HotSpring/TigerRiver/HotSpot line. I would just steer clear of pretender's.

420Spaman

They are the same company!!! Watkins and or Masco - maybe different designs but different quality? ???

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 07:10:56 pm »
I would recomend the HotSpot or Solana over the Caldera. Same price point but Caldera is just a redheaded stepchild to the original HotSpring/TigerRiver/HotSpot line. I would just steer clear of pretender's.

420Spaman

Try selling on the merit of your own product rather than your perceived opinion of others. Besides, I do believe the tubs in question are bascially the exact same spa with a different label. Its your first day posting here, try not to look too foolish in your debut.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 07:44:43 pm »
Excuse me for putting out the knowledge.

Excuse me, but they are your opinions. BTW, (some of the Caldera people can confirm this) I'm pretty sure they share the same elctronics as the Hot Springs side so you may need to brush up on your vast knowledge.

What dealer do your work for?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

J._McD

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 11:26:00 pm »
Excuse me for putting out the knowledge. But after visiting the factory Caldera is not the same. Watkins bought them out to hit another market. Do a little research before you smack out...differant insulation, electronics..

Excuse me, Watkins bought them for the emissions license.  Where did this 20 something come from? ??? ??? ???  He is really impressed with himself, but he is not playing with a full deck.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 12:42:41 am »

Excuse me, Watkins bought them for the emissions license.  Where did this 20 something come from? ??? ??? ???  He is really impressed with himself, but he is not playing with a full deck.

Funny you are the first person to that I know of to mention this here....Yet it has been my understanding that you are correct...That the was in fact the single biggest reason for the purchase....

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 06:37:26 am »
redheaded stepchild
420Spaman

Be careful!  This is slander to me!  I take offense!

Thanks Mod!  I see you demoted him to guest!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 08:49:15 am »
I love your new motto Lori !!! "Saw it, etc."
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 09:01:12 am »
Excuse me, Watkins bought them for the emissions license.
I hadn't heard that. Hmm, while I know that there is a real problem in Southern California when it comes to limiting emissions, you have to keep in mind that Watkins products prior to the purchase of Caldera used almost NO fiberglass. Fiberglass is the largest cause of emissions from tub manufacturers.

And the Watkins plant has never had a problem installing scrubbers and such to take care of the other emissions such as paint or stain - which has all but gone away with the new non-organic siding anyway.

Caldera shells are, in fact, formed and then backed with fiberglass - so I'm trying to tie the two together: getting a break on emissions by purchasing a product which produces more emissions. Knowing what I know about the legislators here in paradise, it is entirely possible that it would work, but I doubt that it would be the best way to acheive that goal.

This is all opinion on my part -  but what I have actually heard from the mouth of both the President and Vice President of Watkins is this: they had reached the point of saturation in almost every major market.  Not that everybody living in those markets owns a tub, but that all the major markets had a HotSpring dealer in place.

Instead of spending more money going after the rural areas were service can be a real issue, they added another line which could increase the depth in the markets which were already doing well.

Also, there have always been dealers who carry more than one line. This was a way to get that second line off the floor by offering an option which kept the money in the family, so to speak.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chris_H

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 09:10:20 am »
I don’t like agreeing with Chas because he is always right, but I do believe his comments on why Watkins purchased Caldera is correct.  Hotspring was already saturated with dealers and they wanted to grow with a new brand.

I don’t believe they purchased Caldera for an emissions license because if I am not mistaken the shells aren’t fiber glassed in the Watkins facility in Vista.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

J._McD

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 09:24:47 am »
Funny you are the first person to that I know of to mention this here....Yet it has been my understanding that you are correct...That the was in fact the single biggest reason for the purchase....

Mendo, did I win a prize??? ???
;D ;D ;D ;D

I don't agree or disagree with these differing opinions, and it might be pointless to discuss them, because most of what we all know is based on hearsay to a great extent.  I believe portions of what we all have commented on are true, but only HS really knows and they are not going to tell.

BTW, they do seem to be doing well in their expansion efforts, I wish I had their money, eh! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 09:32:58 am by J._McD »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 09:34:01 am »
FYI, to anyone who cares, this guy seem to be somewhere in Oregon or Southwest Washington State.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

J._McD

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 10:11:16 am »
Maybe it's W. Cooper who bailed out with all that cash?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 10:11:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42