What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: building a "vault" suggestions  (Read 4978 times)

myke

building a "vault" suggestions
« on: May 01, 2005, 02:36:33 pm »
we want to build a vault for the spa (leave one side open for the service entrance)  and drop it in the ground so it is about 18" tall.

any suggestions / insight on drainage ??

thanks,

mike

Hot Tub Forum

building a "vault" suggestions
« on: May 01, 2005, 02:36:33 pm »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Re: building a "vault" suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 09:17:04 pm »
 I'm in the process of building an indoor spa room. Even though I am not sinking the tub below floor level, I visited the drainage issue myself.

After some research, I came to the conclusion that for a floor drainage set up to work properly, one needs a 1/4" slope in the floor, similar to a shower stall.  

Since the spa needs a level foundation to sit on, you would have to build a floor that is level in the middle, with the proper slope around the perimeter. Then have it slope and drain to a central point, where a sump pump or French drainage system (or your house plumbing system, if availible) would handle the overflow.

It can be done, but maybe it would be easier to just build a deck around the unit (building the vault covering on top of that)?

I once consider installing low openings in the wall/floor intersection, and using a squeegee to manually push the spilled water out. Instead I am going to have a wet vac, hidden in a base cabinet (vacuum garage, if you will), for the times when things get out of control.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 09:19:25 pm by johnvb »

myke

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 10:13:56 pm »
thanks for the comback.

we are building a deck (4" x 36" cantiliver concrete) around the 3 sides  it but there will be a 3"- 4" gap all the way around the 3 sides and the spa.

the service side (in the bacK) will have a (3'x4' opening in the ground with gravel and a drain)

it is the specifics that i need to present to the contractor..

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 07:34:05 am »
myke,

Remember that if you are putting a portable spa in a vault you must always concern yourself with the "what ifs". What if you have a problem with a jet opposite the equipment side? Is it going to be accessible? I always get very leary when a contractor or homeowner comes up with the brilliant plan of sinking a spa into the ground. Will the dealer assist in the planning or will he just sell the spa and you're on your own? Portable spas are just that. If your desire is to install a built-in, that changes my perspective a little.
just my thoughts, keep in touch with your progress.

hottubber... ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 07:35:32 am by hottubber »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 12:40:09 pm »
Be sure you allow room to lift the tub back out if it should ever be needed.

Also, be absolutely sure that you have enough drainage via gravity to allow for leaving the hose running when filling the tub.

Going to install a sump pump? Battery backup is a must.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

myke

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 01:05:38 pm »
thanks for the input !!!!

chas -  do you have any info on a sump pump with battery backup ?

hottuber - the back wall  (service area) will be removable block (keystone) vs the morted block of the 3 sides. this back section will be  4' opening. plenty room to slide the spa back 4' if needed

if the front  area of the spa requires service then the keystone is removed and the spa is moved back.

where it gets tight is right in the middle of the spa, then we'll remove the keystone back have to dig and slide the spa back to work on it..

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 01:08:06 pm »
Depending on the surrounding soil condition, I would look at installing a perimeter french drainage bed around the bottom slab, draining into one or more drywells. No pumps, cleanout screens, electricity, etc to deal with.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 01:08:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42