What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Concrete pad repair  (Read 5246 times)

GoWyoGo

Concrete pad repair
« on: August 16, 2006, 02:47:24 am »
I moved into a new house, and need to get a pad setup before i buy my new tub(left old one at the old house):'(. There is a pad allready in place, but it has a crack running thru it and part of it sank/tilted a few inches. The house is 14 years old, so i am assuming all the settling is done. I am wondering if it is possible to add an inch or two of fresh concrete on top of the pad to re-level it, or if i need to remove it and repour? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
"Beauty is in the eye of the Beer holder"

Hot Tub Forum

Concrete pad repair
« on: August 16, 2006, 02:47:24 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Concrete pad repair
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 09:10:57 am »
I'd be more inclinde to remove and repour the slab.
Putting a couple inches on top may work, but what if it goes a year, and the top cracks?  
Brewman

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 09:59:39 pm »
If it was mine, I'd give it a few whacks with a sledge hammer and breake it up. A good 10-12lb sledge will do. You can use a hammer drill with a chipping bit as well. Sledge works quicker.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:23:32 am »
If you wanna have some real fun, go rent a jackhammer!

Brewman

Hammster

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 10:11:50 am »
I moved into a new house, and need to get a pad setup before i buy my new tub(left old one at the old house):'(. There is a pad allready in place, but it has a crack running thru it and part of it sank/tilted a few inches. The house is 14 years old, so i am assuming all the settling is done. I am wondering if it is possible to add an inch or two of fresh concrete on top of the pad to re-level it, or if i need to remove it and repour? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'd be curious to know what caused the sinking/tilting if it were me. A few inches is a lot of movement in 14 years! Could be tree roots, water, heave, who knows what. It's possible that the slab isn't reinforced with rebar which I understand is now required of all concrete slabs even if for a patio. So it might be worthwhile to tear this one up, make sure the underlayment is in good shape and pour a new one.

GoWyoGo

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 03:14:18 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Not exactly what i wanted to hear, as i want as much $$ as possible to go toward the tub, not tearing up and repouring a pad.
Whay about this suggestion...
It is actually an inch or less of tilt along the crack. I am going to lay slate on top whether it be the existing pad, or a new one. Do you think it would hold up ok if i leveled the area along the crack w/ some concrete, then laid slate on top? That should keep water away from the crack, and give added strength to the slab. Or would it?
Again, thx for all the suggestions.
"Beauty is in the eye of the Beer holder"

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 07:22:50 am »
I'd still be hesitant to keep that old slab.  Keep in mind that most spa warranties have some type of exclusion for problems caused by the foundation.  It's your spa, and your money, so do what you must, but understand the potential risks.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 07:22:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42