What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Any Tour De France fans?  (Read 5201 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Any Tour De France fans?
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:21:15 pm »
OK, I know it's not the same without Lance this year. But, Floyd Landis really made a statement today by winning Stage 17. It might be one of the best stages in recent history.

I'm excited for Floyd because he lives in the same town as I do and I occasionally see him during our rides in the off season. Cycling is my main hobby by the way. Go Floyd...........................

http://www.olntv.com/
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Any Tour De France fans?
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:21:15 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Any Tour De France fans?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 10:26:20 am »
I haven't watched this year, but even in the past 7 years, I've never seen a program that explained all the stages, how the leaders are determined, how they start. I guess I've always found the coverage lacking for my limited knowledge.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 08:03:09 pm »
hands down it is even not remotely close the toughest event in sports is the tour DE France....boxers, motocross, none are close to being as fit as this guys...I am not so much a fan but I have the utmost respect for what they do....if you have the slightest question or doubt go ride your outdoor bike just 18 miles for five days straight and see if you can make it...it is tough and NOOOO I can not do it..... ;)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 10:13:53 am »
We watched his excited parents on TV lst night, he was born and raised in Lancaster County Pa. I believe his family is Mennonite (very similar to Amish) so he probably grew up riding bikes through the hills of Lancaster....a great place to train for the tour!  ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:10:37 am »
I'm not a fan per say but it sure is gratifying that once again an American road into Paris in victory. Liva la America.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 07:13:22 pm »
Bummer, I guess it's a long shot now if he gets cleared of the doping charges any time soon. I'm sure the second set of tests from the B sample will be the same.  

Our town had to postpone his welcome home victory party. They still do have banners off the freeway though.  

Here's his Larry King interview in text.

http://velonews.com/news/fea/10609.0.html

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 07:34:10 am »
No mention in that article about when the B specimen will be tested and results  released.

I'll bet he had access to a hot tub during the race.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 09:43:45 am »
No mention in that article about when the B specimen will be tested and results  released.

I'll bet he had access to a hot tub during the race.

I heard this morning (monday, July 31) the 2nd speciman will be tested today.

He is saying he "naturally has high T levels" .  I was under the impression that they could tell it the tertosterone found was either natural or synthetic.  No?
07 Caldera Geneva

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 02:16:35 pm »
Looks like he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.  These most recent test show that he has high levels of synthetic T, not natural.  The first test was something like 11:1 and from what I hear 4:1 would be abou the max T levels possible naturally.  I wonder if he did it because he never thought he could make up the increment any other way.   He's now going to all these late night shows but so far I haven't seen any proof that he's legit.  If they do find out that the judges (testing compaines) "somehow" spiked" his specimens, that would be good for him but bad for the sport. Seems this is another no-win situation. So sad really.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hammster

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 03:06:54 pm »
I haven't watched this year, but even in the past 7 years, I've never seen a program that explained all the stages, how the leaders are determined, how they start. I guess I've always found the coverage lacking for my limited knowledge.

Let's see if I can help you.
There are basically 3 types of stages. "Flat" road stages that will feature a bunch sprint at the end of the stage. During these kinds of stages, the men in the race who are sprint experts will earn points toward the "Green" jersey that signifies the person with the most points earned at various sprint "hot spots" during a stage.
Mountain stages: These are generally where the tour is won as massive amounts of time can be gained and lost in these stages. Climbs are ranked by order of difficulty from 4 being easiest, 3 harder, 2 even harder, 1 yet harder to HC or "beyond category which is the hardest. The man who does the best in the mountain stages generally gets the Polkadot mountain jersey.
Time trial: Generally flat, sometimes, hilly but always one man against the clock. No teammates to help with drafting or things like that.

The overall leader in the tour is determined by his lowest elapsed time over the entire race. Generally 21 or so stages. Each stage is a mini race within the overall race. So there can be a different winner of each day's stage, but the rider with the lowest elapsed time will be the champ of the entire race.

How riders start: Generally on the road stages that are not time trials, the riders all bunch up and start from an unofficial starting line and parade through the start town until they get to the actual start line. Then it's go for it time until the end of the stage. Time trials are different in that the last place person in the tour starts first and then each person in order of their time starts 2 or 3 minutes behind the previous rider until the leader of the tour goes last.

To further complicate matters, there are extra points and time bonuses (deductions in your overall time) for stage winners and places generally through 5th place in the stage. These bonuses can really change the standings if riders don't pay attention who is in a breakaway during a stage.

Hope all this helps. :D

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 10:23:12 pm »
Very nice Hammster. I'll meet you at the bottom of the hill going up to Torrey Pines this Saturday Morning.  :)

Hammster

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 11:33:56 pm »
Thanks gomboman. :D But in my current state of readiness, I'll be walking up Torrey Pines. Man that one is a killer even when you're in shape!  ;)
I've actually taken up cycling again after about a 12 year hiatus. Self imposed I'm afraid. Maybe a bit of burnout from having ridden for 14 years up until stopping. Now that I've just celebrated my half century I'm feeling a bit mortal. Time to do something about it. ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 11:33:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42