What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Which chemicals??  (Read 3801 times)

rushfan2112

Which chemicals??
« on: April 07, 2005, 08:39:35 pm »
Being a newbie, which type of chemicals should I use with my new sundance spa..chlorine or bromine and why ?? ??? ???  Any info would be appreciated. ;)

Thanks,
    Rush ;D

Hot Tub Forum

Which chemicals??
« on: April 07, 2005, 08:39:35 pm »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: Which chemicals??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 09:47:02 pm »
Hey Rush -

We started with Bromine, and switched to chlorine.  Having tried both - gotta say that chlorine has been way easier to manage!!  There is a learning curve to the water chemistry no matter what you choose - and the best advice we can give is to not do too much, too soon.  Don't hyper analyze!  With Bromine, we had issues with alk and ph going out of whack, and it took forever to reel things in.  The chlorine is just so cut and dried - and our water has never looked better.  

I think there is a reason that more folks use chlorine... or so it seems to me!

Good luck - keep us posted!

Jodi
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Michigander

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 08:56:36 am »
I saw a humungous bucket of dichloro (for swimming pools) at Sams club.  I think it was 100 lbs for $70.  

A) can I use this in my hot tub?
B) How long will this last?
C) does this stuff ever go bad?

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 09:06:28 am »
Rushfan2112

You can choose either Bromine (which we use without difficulties) or Chlorine (which many also use without problems). But if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

Bigbender

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 11:14:32 am »
I'm new to caring for tub water too. When we bought our tub in december, we chose to use Bromine. I didn't have much fluctuation in ph or alkalinity and all I had to do was drop in a few Bromine tabs every other day. It was easy enough but my wife and I both got rashes within a week or two.

When someone suggested to switch to chlorine, we did and it solved our itching problem right away. Chlorine is a little cheaper, just as easy to use, and I think my water stays clearer with less attention.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 12:56:23 pm »
I saw a humungous bucket of dichloro (for swimming pools) at Sams club.  I think it was 100 lbs for $70.  

A) can I use this in my hot tub?
B) How long will this last?
C) does this stuff ever go bad?

I'm not exactly sure, hopefully one of the experts will correct me if I am wrong.  Make sure this is Di-chlor and not Tri-chlor.  Tri-chlor, I believe is for swimming pools and not recommended for most hot tubs.  Di-chlor is recommended for hot tubs (it is what I use)!  I don't think it goes bad, but I am not sure on that either!

Good luck!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Michigander

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 01:52:10 pm »
They had one tub that was Tri and a larger one that was Di.  If it works I may just pick it up and have it last me for a couple of years (Assuming they deliver my tub sometime in the near future).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 01:52:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42