What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: No wet testing???  (Read 8083 times)

SpaTime

No wet testing???
« on: March 31, 2005, 01:04:36 pm »
I just got off the phone with a (CalSpa, Caldera and Baja) dealer who advised me when I asked about tubs available for wet testing. "I don't allow wet testing"  Is this anywhere near common?

Hot Tub Forum

No wet testing???
« on: March 31, 2005, 01:04:36 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: No wet testing???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 01:10:08 pm »
Yes it is very common for those dealers who do not care about customer service....or providing much service at all.....Now those dealers who do care will always try to accommodate a wet test whenever possible .....

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 01:12:52 pm »
I just got off the phone with a (CalSpa, Caldera and Baja) dealer who advised me when I asked about tubs available for wet testing. "I don't allow wet testing"  Is this anywhere near common?

My unscientific opinion is that it is not uncommon. I can't rationalize that in numbers.  From memory of my shopping experience here in Columbus, Ohio two years ago was.

Dynasty Dealer - offered Wet test after hours
Master Spa -   offered Wet test after hours
Sundance - Jacuzzi dealer - offered wet test and had the most private well designed seperate room to do so.

There was one dealer who mainly sold Windows, sunrooms type of things who sold one brand of hot tub (I don't think they do any more) I don't remember what it was, but he told me wet testing was illegal. Since I already knew that wasn't the case, I wasn't going to believe anything he said, so we were out the door quick.   I never got around to asking the Hot Spring dealer, but now he has a new showroom which may be more conducive to it, so checking it out is on my list of things to do.

Wet testing seems to be a popular subject here, so we will welcome hearing about your experiences.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 01:15:26 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

SpaTime

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 01:20:15 pm »
Should I name the dealer who advised me on his policy?  Also, if there are any reps from calspa, caldera or baja here, I would be interested in your thoughts on this matter.   Thanks

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 01:20:40 pm »

Sometimes people will criticize a dealer because they can't wet test a specific model and I've always thought that to be unfair as its difficult to make EVERY model available (often they'll have a model similarly setup). However, if he's saying you can't wet test ANY models then I think that's a lack of service and if he's not providing service before the sale I'd wonder how I'd be treated afterwards.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

SpaTime

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 01:26:18 pm »
That was my point, spatech.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  He said that his policy was "I don't ALLOW any wet testing"  I have been on the phone alot today as I have a cold, and understand that it is likely that a given dealer would offer only a few models for wet testing.  What blew me away was that he allows no wet testing of anything.  Even the way he said it seemed condescending.  It was the quickest call I had all day.

Chris_H

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 01:34:16 pm »
I have an issue with this as well.  Many times it is extremely difficult to allow wet-testing for a specific larger units.  For example, for a Sundance dealer it is extremely difficult to allow testing of the Maxxus or for the D1 dealer it might be difficult to allow you to test the Serena/Lotus Bay because they are such large units and the majority of the time they aren’t filled with water or even in stock.  Most dealers will allow you test their units that have water in them.  I would be leary if a dealer didn’t allow it at all.

My opinion is that as long as you can get into one of their units you will get a general feel of the spa that you are looking to purchase.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 01:47:21 pm »
Bill....

Did you mean to say in your post that it is uncommon not to allow wet testing....from the dealers you mentioned all but one allowed for it..

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 01:54:43 pm »
Bill....

Did you mean to say in your post that it is uncommon not to allow wet testing....from the dealers you mentioned all but one allowed for it..

I was trying to say that it is non uncommon to find a dealer who doesn't allow it.  That is based partially on my experiences, which memory has faded, and hearing from others here.  If the majority of dealers do allow it, the continued posts of our members in this thread will give us a better idea.  I did say Unscientific"  ;D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 01:57:54 pm »

Sometimes people will criticize a dealer because they can't wet test a specific model and I've always thought that to be unfair as its difficult to make EVERY model available (often they'll have a model similarly setup). However, if he's saying you can't wet test ANY models then I think that's a lack of service and if he's not providing service before the sale I'd wonder how I'd be treated afterwards.

A good relevant twist on the topic.  It has been discussed here in the past, I would encourage reading the archives.   A great thing about this forum is after a wet test, no matter how limited, or unlimited you can come here and discuss it and get opionions of others.

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 01:58:49 pm »
definitely find a better dealer... we wet tested many brands in a total of 8 dealers. most were accomodating, in fact the jaccuzzi, HS, caldera, and d-1 dealers encouraged us to come in early or late(outside normal hours) so we would feel more comfy than having other customers walk around while we were in a tub. HS and D1 even had small private rooms built in the store with a tub in it.
only one that did no wet test was a local manufacturer, who said they have not allowed wet testing for several years, after the outbreak of legionaires disease that came from a hot tub dealer. he just wasnt exactly sure where or when this had happened. " a few years ago, north of here, i believe...." were his exact words...... :o :o :o
anyone ever heard of such a thing ??? ???

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 02:05:17 pm »
Should I name the dealer who advised me on his policy?  Also, if there are any reps from calspa, caldera or baja here, I would be interested in your thoughts on this matter.   Thanks

Thats up to you.  Since you named the brand, what is your city/state?   As far as I remember from asking dealers here, its a dealer descion and not mandated by a manufacturer. If I'm wrong, someone will let us know.

jaj111

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 04:12:31 pm »
I went to four different hot tub dealers when we were looking. All four dealers encouraged us to wet test

SpaTime

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 04:14:06 pm »
Wmmcall, I am in Pittsburgh, and after seeing the responces, I think I will pass on namimg the dealer, as it seems (from some of the responces) not too uncommon for a dealer to take that position.  He just won't have any of my cash to pay his bills.  Se La Guere.

nicker

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 04:47:57 pm »
Tell you what I would do , definetly DO NOT Buy a spa from that dealer.   Id stay away from Cal spa anyway.  But a dealer that does not allow wet testing is a STUPID dealer and as said doesn't care much about what he sells or his customer.  

Thats like buying a car with out test driving it.  

For fun I'd call him back in a few days and tell him how you bought a tub from another dealer who allowed you to wet test.  Sorry pal you just lost a sale.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 04:47:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42