What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera and Coleman Spas  (Read 6891 times)

Smiles

Caldera and Coleman Spas
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:44:03 am »
I am considering the purchase of a Caldera spa, based on comfort of the spa during a recent wet test, or perhaps a Coleman.  (We tested Coleman 470 + 471, Hot Spring Sovereign, Arctic Spa-Summit, and a 2005 Caldera Geneva Utopia Series.)  My favorite was the Caldera, followed very closely by the Coleman.  I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with:

1)      I am located in Eastern Ontario (Canada) and it gets cold in the winter.  Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with either the Caldera or Coleman spas during winter?  Any experience with hydro consumption is also appreciated.

2)      For Caldera Spas, how much was the price increase (percentage) for 2005 models v.s. 2004?

3)      Can someone from the U.S. comment on current pricing for the Caldera Geneva spa (Utopia series) in your area.  If anyone in Canada can provide pricing in areas outside of Eastern Ontario, this would be beneficial too.  I want to make sure the dealer’s pricing is reasonable.

4)      If anyone has any personal comments/opinions on which spa is better, and why, I would appreciate your sharing this.

Thanks!!

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera and Coleman Spas
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:44:03 am »

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
Re: Caldera and Coleman Spas
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 01:03:21 pm »
i just bought a caldera niagra, same tub as the geneva, but with out the lounger. i believe they are the same price or with $100. i have only had it up and running for 5 days, and i love it!the way the diverters work was a little confusing at first, but once i got the hang of it, its a good system. one of the things i really like, is that there is enough power to push you out of the seat of you focus on flow towards one or two areas, but there is enough presure to run all the seats at once and its enjoyable, doesnt leave you wanting more. while wet testing, found several tubs that were great for a couple of seats but when all jets were in use they were kinda weak. this is, of course,  simple physics, even aside from hp, whats the static head pressure and flow rate, vs how big / many jets you have.
this was an issue for us as wife and i +3 kids often in at the same time, so that was one feature i was looking for in "the hunt".
i bought an '04 with upgraded lighting, steps, cover lifter, extra filter, and 8 extra spinning (verisage?)jets, (i recommend switching the 2 outside jets in the neck colar to the spinning ones, it rocks!),  start up chems and a $100 store credit for nessecities, (like spazazz) for $8100 here in VA. i was quoted $8900 for an '05 if i wanted to order a new one. dealer has been here for over 20 years with good rep.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 03:13:18 pm »
out of the two, I would get the coleman.  I looked at the caldera tubs and did not like them at all.  Just out of curiousity, what did you not like about the summit from arctic spas?

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 03:17:30 pm »
The Caldera Geneva Utopia is my favorite spa.  I purchased one last year in West Palm Beach, FL and it cost about $8,500 all inclusive with cover rack, steps, chems and so on.

Obviously, as a Floridian, I can't help you with the cold weather question, but was told that Caldera is not as heavily insulated as sister company HotSpring.  That is a rumor from me, but maybe someone else can comment.  I do know that the Caldera cover is made from 1.5 - lb. density foam and that HS uses 2-lb material.  That could be important in Canada, but it is a non-issue here.  You might also ask your dealer to describe the insulation to help you understand and make an informed choice.

I still feel that the Caldera Geneva Utopia is a superior performing spa to any other that I have tried including my HS Envoy.  Others that I wet tested are Marquis, Jacuzzi Premium, Sundance, and D1.  These are all superior products, so be sure that you wet test to find the best one for you.

Regards,

Bill

obi wan

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 05:13:27 pm »
out of the two, I would get the coleman.  I looked at the caldera tubs and did not like them at all.  Just out of curiousity, what did you not like about the summit from arctic spas?

you say you didn't like the calderas at all. out of curiosity, why?

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 07:30:12 pm »
when I looked at the Caldera I just did not like the look of them for some reason.  To be honest with you I think that they are very simple.  Im not saying that they are a poor tub, I definetly do not want to get labeled as a guy that slams other products.  

I just think that if I had the choice, I would get the coleman.  Just personal preference.  

This post is taking a few to write.  I just went to the website to look at the tubs to confirm.  

Sorry, I really didnt mean to offend anyone if I did.  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 07:52:43 pm »

I doubt you offended anyone. When someone says they didn't prefer a certain spa we often ask them to follow up with “why” and I think that was all that was asked.

I long ago stopped trying to figure out why 2 people who may seem very similar in most respects will both wet test the same 2 spa brands and come to absolutely different conclusions as to which they prefer and why. I'd bet anyone you could separate identical twins and have them take separate wet tests and they would most probably have varying opinions and in many cases OPPOSITE opinions (just as you often see with husbands and wives who wet test).

Its great to get info from others regarding Quality, Service, Dealer Reputation, Pricing, etc but there are certain things where you have to draw your own conclusions and wet test results are the big one (along with general aesthetics) as they are all about fit and feel for each individual.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Greenraisin

• See you down life's highway!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 08:48:51 pm »
I think spas are like mates...not everyone is compatible with everyone else! Some are good for some and some are good for others. If we all liked the same thing, we wouldn't need variety, and if we didn't have variety, where would the spice of life be?!?!

If it works for you, it's good for you. If it doesn't trip your trigger, maybe it will for sombody else.

Remember, it's your trigger and your investment!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 09:05:51 pm »
spas are like mates?  I agree in the sense that they cost a fortune in up keep and need your constant attention.  Just kidding.

I think that it is funny that you bring up how mates have differing opinions about spa brands.  One thing you have to remember is that when the wife likes something that you really want, whatever one she picks is the one you get.  I cant believe that my wife has given me the green light for a tub.  She picked color, model and I motivated her to select the right brand.  Actually she does not know yet, but I went and changed the order.  Boy is she going to be suprised.  God bless the married life, for richer for poorer.....and for buying the tub you wanted all along, I remember the priest saying that.   ;D ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 09:15:53 am »
This sounds too familiar: When HotSpring first introduced the copper color, I loved it, and ordered three on the spot. Pulled out my cell phone while standing in the HotSpring show booth at NSPI convention and ordered. One for each store and one for our backyard. When my wife saw the order about to be confirmed a couple of days later, she said, "that ugly thing isn't going into MY backyard."

Now, aside from the fact that she seldom, if ever sets foot into the backyard, and aside from the fact that it's our daughter and I who use the tub more than any other member of the family or any of our friends, and forgetting for a moment that we generally use it at night with a color-changing light, I decided to go along and change the order. As I did, I discovered that I had no choice, she had already called the factory and made the change.

Well - go to the HotSpring website and check out the colors available: the Copper is gone gone gone. It just barely made it through one season. I won't say that we didn't sell any. It just wasn't as well-received as we all hoped...
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

obi wan

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 09:21:45 am »
when I looked at the Caldera I just did not like the look of them for some reason.  To be honest with you I think that they are very simple.  Im not saying that they are a poor tub, I definetly do not want to get labeled as a guy that slams other products.  

I just think that if I had the choice, I would get the coleman.  Just personal preference.  

This post is taking a few to write.  I just went to the website to look at the tubs to confirm.  

no offense taken at all... i was just curious. i agree with other posts here, its amazing how different peoples tastes vary.
i love the mate analogy........... lots of upkeep, accessories, special lube needed occasionally....... ;) ;) ;D
does that mean i can look for a newer model every 12-15 years? ;D :D ;D

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 11:24:07 am »
you can always just look.  

My wife always says its ok to look at the menu, but you have to eat at home. I cant complain though, she is letting me get a tub.  

I love you in case your reading ;D

Love it or hate it

mhraracing

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 10:06:21 pm »
Smiles - We have a Geneva Utopia and absolutly love it. We had it since Dec 23rd - we live in CT and our electric went up around 30 dollars. We got a great deal on ours paid around 7500 - step/lifter/chems etc.....

There are a few things that irk me about it....
1 - the second panel is not backlit - so in the dark you cant tell what button you are pressing.
2 - when you first start the jets - you get a quick burst of cold water - unitll the water circulates thru once.

Other then that - the pearl color with the lights look really great - Bottom line - We love the spa.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Smiles

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 09:05:21 pm »
In response to bosco 0633, The arctic just was not comfortable to us compared to the Caldera.  Furthermore, I had problems with adjusting the jets on the Arctic.  One of the jets poped out easily while I was trying to adjust the flow.  It prooved difficult to put it back in with the jets going...  The Arctic did look like a high quality spa from the research I have done on them IMO.

It sounds like everyone who owns a Caldera loves their spa!  Any comments from others including Coleman owners or people who wet tested either of them?  Any comments on Caldera quality vs Coleman or other brands?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 09:05:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42