What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: OEM stereo or not  (Read 2945 times)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
OEM stereo or not
« on: March 26, 2005, 11:45:24 am »
  We are going with a Sundance Optima, will be ordering Monday.

Should I consider the built in stereo system? Obviously, replacement parts would have to come from Sundance.

I already have all components to install wall speakers in the spa room, but will I be able to hear this setup with all the pumps going. (Without blasting!)

The dealer tried to impress me by saying Bose designed the system. Only problem is I'm an audiophile, and Bose is a four-letter word in some of my favorite audio forums.

The tub we wet tested had the system installed. We didn’t try it, but could on Monday.

Hot Tub Forum

OEM stereo or not
« on: March 26, 2005, 11:45:24 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: OEM stereo or not
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 12:03:12 pm »
I'm not really sure that you would have to go through Sundance for the stereo parts - down the road.

Have you confirmed this? I know Caldera puts a Sony marine-grade stereo - with o-ring seals and everything - but if you need help after the warranty you can go to Sony, or a Sony dealer.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 12:15:42 pm »
 Well not quite sure how she put it, something about being a Bose, or made by Bose, or Bose like? who knows. I don't recall seeing "Bose" labeling, but then again wasn't really looking.

After reading some of the reviews here, someone mentioned that they should have got the built-in system, as they couldn't hear their existing patio speakers.

If I use my existing wall mounted speakers (old Parasound outside units), they will be about 8-10' away from the seats.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 09:11:53 pm »
We have the Optima with built in stereo.  I like the convenience and the build and sound quality is excellent.  
I don't think the unit is Bose, if it was I'm sure Sundance would be touting it in their ads.  
The spa is two years old, including two harsh winters, and no service problems at all, including the stereo.
Brewman
Brewman

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 08:12:19 am »
Thanks, I'll give it a listen when we go back.

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 10:39:20 am »
The cost of the stereo upgrade (usually around $1000- from my experience) just isn't worth it.  Check the fine print on the stereo warranty, some are "manufacturers warranty", meaning no labor coverage.  Typically these stereos just don't hold up for the long run.  For the $1000, I would do a rocking outside set up and use the rest of the money to take a vacation.

Guzzler

• Delivery expected in June ;-)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 01:10:26 pm »
This will not help you now, but a friend and I ordered identical Tubs except for the built in stereo. I bought it and he did not. We live nearby and will be comparing, so in the not too distant future I will know wether or not the money was well spent. (My $1000 CDN included a sub.)

BTW although Audiophiles do not rate it I really like my B&O system and have high standards, but I figured no matter what I spent nothing will sound brilliant in/around a hot tub.

nicker

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 02:15:06 pm »
I never considered it when we bought our tub it wasn't even somthing we wanted.  Those that have and like it great.  I think they are a waste of money.   Are they worth the $500 - $1000 extra...HECK NO.  Think of the portable stereo you can buy with that.  We use our portable stereo/cd and its fine.  We can hear that perfect and still able to chat when we are in the tub and it only cost us $60.00 and I can take it anywhere.   I just think they are way to much money and you know somthing will go wrong with it and then what I am sure the warranty is seperate from the tub it self.

I guess just keep you options open and think of other avenues if you want music that bad.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 08:40:07 am »
Thanks, I'll give it a listen when we go back.

Good idea.  In the grand scheme of things, the extra cost of the stereo on our spa was relatively minor, but only you can decide if the extra cost is wort it to you (in our case it was) or if it sounds good.  (In our case it did)
Toting a portable outside every time we use the spa doesn't really appeal to me, but popping up the speakers and pushing a button does.  Time will tell about the reliability issue.  Two years and so far so good.
Brewman
Brewman

Guzzler

• Delivery expected in June ;-)
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 03:37:21 pm »

In the grand scheme of things, the extra cost of the stereo on our spa was relatively minor...

Toting a portable outside every time we use the spa doesn't really appeal to me...

but popping up the speakers and pushing a button does ...

Time will tell ...

I agree!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 04:11:36 pm »
The stereo and speakers are made by Poly-planar, a marine stereo company.  When you get the upgrade that allows you to control the pumps as well as the stereo, there is a built in noise compensator that will adjust the volume when the pumps are turned on.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 04:11:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42