What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: trying to balance the water  (Read 2027 times)

jmpiv

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
trying to balance the water
« on: February 27, 2005, 05:27:30 pm »
I am a new spa owner.....my bromine always seems to be high.....I have the inline spa frog system...what do I need to do to the lower the bromine level?  I have the cartridge set on 1...should I just put it on 0 for a day?

My pH is also on the low end and my alkilinity is also low.

Hot Tub Forum

trying to balance the water
« on: February 27, 2005, 05:27:30 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: trying to balance the water
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 12:25:23 am »
try some ph up........what is the bromine reading....have you been using the spa

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 06:28:23 am »
Bromine and MPS has a tendency to drive PH and Alk down. Make sure you add sodium bicarbonate to bring your Alk and PH up first before you play with your Bromine. Use the tub with the level set at 1 a few times and see if it goes down. What reading are you getting of bromine with your dispenser set at 1?
Retired

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 10:53:15 am »
When we were using Bromine we were seeing similar problems.  In our case the MPS would drive the Bromine very high for days and the Alk would go very low.   I'm not sure the low alk was actually raising the ph or if the very high bromine was masking the ph reading.  But, we always seemed to have high ph and low alk after shocking with MPS.  I never really found a good way to keep the bromine from getting out of control and that was part of our decision to move to dichlor instead of bromine.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 10:54:47 am »
If the Bromine level is too high, stop feeding it in.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JTJ23BA

• I love my HotSpring!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:33:53 pm »
You could always try a granular form of bromine.  I have found it is much easier to regulate the amount of bromine that way.  A couple tsps after each use should keep you right on track.  You might check to see if you have a high cyanuric acid reading.  This can make the alkalinity appear lower than it really is.  If your alkalinity is below 125 ppm you could be experiencing  ph bounce.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:33:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42