What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: chlorine  (Read 1482 times)

MichaelHollywood

chlorine
« on: January 08, 2024, 01:32:53 pm »
I have been using frog ease system chlorine for 2 years but recently the chlorine has really been hard on my skin having bad itching and reactions.  Tried emptying refilling and cleaning tub. Tried a conditioner to tone down chemicals  That did not work.  Any thoughts on using Bromine instead?  Otherwise I just cant use it anymore.   thanks

Hot Tub Forum

chlorine
« on: January 08, 2024, 01:32:53 pm »

CanadianSpaTech

Re: chlorine
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 05:54:54 pm »
Folliculitis... also known as hot tub rash? Purge spa plumbing with a line purge like Ahh-some to remove bio-film build up in the lines.

Davekro

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 02:09:16 pm »
Michael,
Please report back with the results with pictures of what AHH!some purge releases from your spa, given the skin irritations you have been experiencing. I am a newbie awaiting my new Bullfrog spa delivery this week, but will be doing a purge with Ahh-Some - Hot Tub Cleaner Sachet | Clean Pipes & Jets Gunk Build Up | Clear & Soften Water for Hot Tub --Amazon-- $9.95
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0968HFW7B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I had your situation, I would DEFINITELY do two purge cycles with AHH!some for peace of mind and the best chance of curing the issue. My 2 cents. ;o)

If you do two purge cycles, please post pics of what residue, if any, you get from the second. It would be excellent to see what a second purge does!
Thanks,
Newbie Dave

cranbiz

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 09:18:05 am »
What has been already been said. Do an Ahh-some purge. You might need to do more than 1 purge to make sure you get all the bio-film out.

Sean Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 03:45:05 am »
Sorry to hear about your skin troubles with the chlorine. It sounds super annoying. If the conditioner didn't help, bromine could be worth a shot. It's gentler on the skin for some folks. Just make sure to read up on how to use it properly since it behaves a bit differently than chlorine. Good luck, hope it sorts out your itchiness!

Davekro

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 03:22:36 am »
@MichaelHollywood

When I got my new 2023 Bullfrog hot tub delivered 2/2/24, I set it up as a Bromine tub. I did all the right things and was very particular about keeping the bromine levels in range. But my wife had a strong skin sensitivity issue to the bromine. After an hour or so, she started getting red ski, by bedtime she had a rash and bumps on her torso. Th eitching kept her awake all night. It took a few days to go away.  I did another AHH!Some purge, drained and refilled the tub, and set it up as a chlorine tub. Now my wife has ZERO skin sensitivity in our chlorine tub, even if the FC is a ppm or two above the recommended range.

So bottom line, I'd say that Bromine would cause more, not less skin irritation issues. I'd say you may have some bad stuff hiding in your plumbing as CanadianSpaTech suggests (he knows his stuff!).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 03:22:36 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42