What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HELP, I don't know which way to go!  (Read 5599 times)

rockey

HELP, I don't know which way to go!
« on: January 28, 2005, 06:52:07 pm »
 :-[  I have been searching and researching information on hot tubs. The more I read the more I become confused.  I have made notes on what is the best and most cost effective and energy saving on every area of the tub such as; The CD (Corona Discharge Generator - to reduce  amount of chemicals.  Shell surface - Acrylic being better than OAS.  Understructure - thickness of fiberglass best for quality with it being hand rolled to acrylic shell.  Insulation -  Layered (blanketed) multiple layers with insulation on the bottom with a high R Value insulation.  Polyurethane (?)    or     Foam (?)    High density closed cell poly foam, (not open cell).   Covers to include heat seal gasket. Folding covers lose heat and deteriorate quickly, also should have a UL and ASTM listing Rating.   Cover with at least 1.5# of foam density R value is 12.7 is to be good.  Removable walls.  Water Purification - Silver/copper ionizer zinc ionization ozone.   Electronics - computer activated electronic controls are sensitive to moisture and have problems.  Shell - to look for extensive warranty, 2 types; structural and surface with a 5 - 10 year warranty.  Heat element warranty more than 1 year warranty. Equipment; parts and plumbing 3 years at least.  A 230 - 240 volt more efficient not 110.  (what happened to 220 v.) Hey be patient with me, I am a woman who knows nothing about electronics and electrical).  Now with the top brands being listed as; beachcomber, marquis spas, dimension one, caldera, jacuzzi and sundance.  Which one of these units have all of the best features along with a good set of jets and a lounge of course (4 or 5 people).  BUT, I don't want to spend a small fortune either.  Help!  Any advise for this hot tub newbie.  Thanks  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

HELP, I don't know which way to go!
« on: January 28, 2005, 06:52:07 pm »

flajoker

• Hot Springs...Envoy
Re: HELP, I don't know which way to go!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 12:08:34 am »
Hot Springs Envoy...They all cost a small fortune

Neptuner

• My only tub foam
Re: HELP, I don't know which way to go!Of those yo
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 12:35:46 am »
Sundance is my favorite of those you've named.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 01:51:50 am »
 a very nice spa for the dollars spent is the Marquis Quest...I have said it before I am a big fan of this spa...and YES I am bias....but I really think it is a great value....a nice spa that is quiet...comfortable and can accommodate 4 when needed...but as most spas get used by 1 or 2 at time about 90% of the time.....it fits a lot peoples needs.....

Pooldevil

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 08:30:30 am »
Hi Rockey
Being a Marquis dealer in the UK I am also a bit bias towards their products ... to install a spa and know the customer is going to be happy does this to you !
If you can get the right model for you ... than at least you can be assured that your Marquis will be reliable for many years.
========================================
Beachcomber should be at the bottom of your list ... not the top !
Can't help with the others .....

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 08:43:13 am »
Now that you understand as much as you do, you may not find the tub with absolutely everything. Now your an educated consumer, so go looking and listen, use your knowledge to see what your best comfortable with.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 09:12:10 am »
Why not look up your local dealers for all of those brands and do some shopping?  You will have to wet test to truly find the tub for you!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 11:17:24 am »
a very nice spa for the dollars spent is the Marquis Quest...I have said it before I am a big fan of this spa...and YES I am bias....but I really think it is a great value....a nice spa that is quiet...comfortable and can accommodate 4 when needed...but as most spas get used by 1 or 2 at time about 90% of the time.....it fits a lot peoples needs.....

The Quest is a great spa but if your looking for a price point you can also try the Marquis 415 From their everyday series. It's a great value for your dollar

zzaphod42

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 04:23:49 pm »
Beachcomber should be at the bottom of your list ... not the top !

In your OPINION right?  ;)

All of the brands mentioned are of good quality. Take the time to meet with the dealers in question, and wet test the models you find appealing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 04:24:21 pm by zzaphod42 »

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 06:33:57 pm »
Hi Rocky,

I agree with the rest of the Marquis fellas.  The Quest is a great spa and won't cost you a small fortune.

Rocket

rockey

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 09:19:03 am »
 :DThanks for your responses.  Still checking out info and reading as much as I can from this site. Wonderful area of information.  Ok so I like what everyone is saying about the Marquis Euphoria, But, I really don't want to spend quite that much and do not feel I need one that big or powerful.  I do need the hydrotherapy zones and such.  I want quality first with just the basic needs, I do not need the sweet little additions.  Hoping you will help me again.  The Marquis Mirage looks like a tub that would be more suitable for me.  Any comments on the jet power difference. (I mean I know their will be a difference, -  like my Mercedes and my daughter's Toyota - but they both are a wonderful auto, so--- is  this unit still a good choice).  Comments, information and any experience with this model please, please, please.  Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.   ;)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 09:29:44 am »
Check out some of the value lines that the premium brands offer.  
For instance, Sundance offers the Sweetwater brand, which is a less expensive spa.  Except for 2005 they will be under the Sundance brand name, but be referred to as their 700 (or something like that) series.  
Hot Springs offeres Tiger River as their value line,
and I'm sure there are other brands.
Brewman
Brewman

Chris_H

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 10:00:00 am »
I have been searching and researching information on hot tubs. The more I read the more I become confused.  I have made notes on what is the best and most cost effective and energy saving on every area of the tub such as;

“The CD (Corona Discharge Generator - to reduce  amount of chemicals.”  
     CD ozone is the way to go over UV ozone.  It has a higher output of ozone and is a little more user friendly maintenance wise.

“Shell surface - Acrylic being better than OAS.”
     Not really sure what OAS is.  I will say that acrylic if not properly supported will not be a very good shell surface.

“Understructure - thickness of fiberglass best for quality with it being hand rolled to acrylic shell.”
     Hand rolled acrylic has a lot of opportunities for human error.  It also does not allow for uniformity between each spa going down the assembly line.  The major manufacturers do not hand roll their fiberglass.  Sub-standard manufacturers like Phoenix and ThermoSpas hand roll it.  Not many people would consider those two brands of the highest quality.

“Insulation - Layered (blanketed) multiple layers with insulation on the bottom with a high R Value insulation.  Polyurethane (?)  or  Foam (?)    High density closed cell poly foam, (not open cell).”
     Most full-foamed manufacturers use multiple layers of foam for support and insulation.  I am not sure what you are asking here.

“Covers to include heat seal gasket. Folding covers lose heat and deteriorate quickly, also should have a UL and ASTM listing Rating.   Cover with at least 1.5# of foam density R value is 12.7 is to be good.”
     A cover is always a good idea.  I would like to know where you get R-value because I never could understand R-value.  Just get a cover with at least 1.5lb foam inside it.  Many use 2lb foam inside.

“Removable walls.”
     Most manufacturers offer this.

“Water Purification - Silver/copper ionizer zinc ionization ozone.”
     Not really sure what you are asking here.  

“Electronics - computer activated electronic controls are sensitive to moisture and have problems.”
     Every major manufacturer uses electronic controls.  Whoever said they are sensitive to moisture and have problems is currently living in the 20th century.  You want a manufacturer with electronic controls.

“Shell - to look for extensive warranty, 2 types; structural and surface with a 5 - 10 year warranty.”
     That would be a good idea.

“Heat element warranty more than 1 year warranty.”
Another good idea.

“Equipment; parts and plumbing 3 years at least.”
Good idea.  

“A 230 - 240 volt more efficient not 110.  (what happened to 220 v.)”  
     Many manufacturers offer great 110 units and are extremely efficient.  The downside to 110 is the heater and jets can not be on at the same time.

“Hey be patient with me, I am a woman who knows nothing about electronics and electrical).”
     I am not patient at all so go buy a spa NOW!!!

“Now with the top brands being listed as; beachcomber, marquis spas, dimension one, caldera, jacuzzi and sundance.”
     I think you forgot one top brand.  Hotspring.

“Which one of these units have all of the best features along with a good set of jets and a lounge of course (4 or 5 people). BUT, I don't want to spend a small fortune either.  ”
     I would recommend two spas for you:  Tiger River Bengal and the Sundance Caymen.  Both should be priced under $6,000.

Chris

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 01:17:40 pm »
CD ozone is the way to go over UV ozone.  It has a higher output of ozone and is a little more user friendly maintenance wise.

Can you elaborate a bit?
- why higher output is better? Wouldn't that lead to a greater amount of Offgasing?
- how is CD "more user friendly maintenance wise"? say compared to the Balboa Ozone unit for example?

The major manufacturers do not hand roll their fiberglass.  Sub-standard manufacturers like Phoenix and ThermoSpas hand roll it.

Wow! only sub-standard manufacturers hand roll?

rockey -
you're off to a great start. Just start checking out those spa brands you listed and get wet testing.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 01:18:24 pm by empolgation »
e

Chris_H

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 01:39:22 pm »
“Can you elaborate a bit?
- why higher output is better? Wouldn't that lead to a greater amount of Offgasing?”

It could obviously lead to off gasing, but the majority of larger manufacturers (Hotspring, Sundance, Marquis, D1) have created mixing chambers (not exactly sure of the term) to help drastically reduce the amount of off-gasing.

”- how is CD "more user friendly maintenance wise"? say compared to the Balboa Ozone unit for example?”
     I would say it is more user friendly because the UV bulb should be replaced about every 4 months or so.  The Corona Discharge units need a chip replacement about every year.  Also, some corona discharge units don’t need chip replacement at all.  I think the monthly maintenance described above shows the user friendliness on the Corona Discharge ozonators.

“Wow! Only sub-standard manufacturers hand roll?”
     Yes.  Hand rolling can lead to completely different shell thicknesses from spa to spa.  Hand rolling fiberglass is a quality assurance nightmare.  

Go Eagles!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 01:45:26 pm by Chris_H »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 01:39:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42