What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Smooth or pebble type finish  (Read 13139 times)

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: Smooth or pebble type finish
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 05:54:35 pm »
I've had my pearl surfaced tub for over a year!  No scratches, still looks shiny and new!  I don't notice a problem with it being slippery!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 05:54:35 pm »

wetone

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 06:33:51 pm »
Fading can also be an issue with the smooth acrylics.

How can this happen when the color is imbedded same as the textured finish???

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 07:41:27 pm »
Take a look at these pics of my pearl spa.  

Not sure if this will convince you but I am super thrilled that I bought the pearl finish.  Everyone who sees it just loves it.  Most people are used to seeing the blue/green/tan pebble spas.  

http://www.pbase.com/jlefcourt/backyard_project

Good luck with your choice.

Jonathan
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 07:42:26 pm by newtotubbing »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 08:28:10 pm »
We went with the textured/granite-y type finish on our Optima becuase we were a little worried that the kids would ding or scratch the pearl finish with toys/watches/lord knows what.  It's fine - don't get me wrong, I love our tub... but I think if given a choice next time I would prefer to go with the smooth, more pearly finish.  It just looks so dang pretty with the light!!

That's what Mrs. Bulmer thinks, anyway...  :D
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

nicker

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 10:11:56 pm »
I went with a granite/pebble finish.  I think the smooth finish is very nice too but our preference was the granite.   One thing you just have to watch with the smooth finish is it will show scratches.  So just make sure that anyone that uses the tub does have a bathing suit with any metal buttons/zippers that will scratch the surface.   HEY maybe I should have gotten a smooth finish and just implimented a NO BATHING SUIT policy......well for the women anyway ::)

Also consider what will go with your back yard theme too.

Good luck

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 12:40:23 am »
Ok Emp, Ed, we can agree to disagree.

I have slipped on granite style acrylic too. Perhaps it was the false sense of security I got from knowing it was textured....Conversely I have not slipped on smooth stuff, but maybe I was just being more careful.

Now, I am going to try to "sand" something with some granite style acrylic, I'll let you know how it works out. ;D

On you way out, don't slip on the carpet!  You have a tendency to lose balance on sturdy materials!!!   8)

Just kidding.

-Ed

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 09:12:58 am »
HEY maybe I should have gotten a smooth finish and just implimented a NO BATHING SUIT policy......well for the women anyway ::)

Also consider what will go with your back yard theme too.

Hey nicker,
If losing the swim suits is part of your "back yard theme", would you mind forwarding your address? ;D
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 03:18:16 pm »

On you way out, don't slip on the carpet!  You have a tendency to lose balance on sturdy materials!!!   8)

Just kidding.

-Ed

How did you know I have a tendancy to slip on carpet?
Homeworks Financing Representative

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 03:24:58 pm »

How can this happen when the color is imbedded same as the textured finish???

Is that true of all of today's tubs?  It's a good question based on what many buyers are told. I have seen older models that did indeed fade, but that might just be a thing of the past or only on real cheap tubs?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 01:36:40 pm »
The interior finish is a personal preference for you. If you go with a smooth finish, I would recommend one that is light in color, it will look clean and new for years of useage. The textured interiors are great for those brands of spas which do not filter as well. You are considering the Reward from Marquis, the filtration system is great. Choose your preferred color and start ENJOYING the hottubbing experience ???.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 05:58:18 pm »
I've had my pearl surfaced tub for over a year!  No scratches, still looks shiny and new!  I don't notice a problem with it being slippery!

Perhaps slippery is also a function of water chemistry. The one time we had a scum line problem, the water line area in our tub felt slippery.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2005, 11:08:00 am »
We also ended up getting the Granite Finish.  WE both felt it WAS less slippery.

But our biggest reason was the durability of the surface in not showing scratches.  We have two younger children who love to get in the spa, and usually with some of their friends.    You just know it's going to take a beating.  It does not show the scratches like the pearl finishes.

If we did not have kids, than we might consider the "Shinier" glossy finish.  Yes,  the pearl finish is definately an eye catcher.  But we decided to go with function over form.

Tim

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2005, 12:35:40 pm »

Perhaps slippery is also a function of water chemistry. The one time we had a scum line problem, the water line area in our tub felt slippery.

That's a good point.  As the water gets "older" it feels, to me, a little thicker and more slippery. As such I'd bet that even a pebble inish would be more slippery if the water chemistry is a little off.

Has anyone experimented with putting those glue-on friction mats into the step intot he tub?  I know some pools have them: they are like little grey pieces of "sandpaper" that help you keep your footing underwater on steps.

-Ed

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2005, 01:07:30 pm »

As the water gets "older" it feels, to me, a little thicker and more slippery. -Ed

Perhaps so, I've noticed that tubs with smooth finishes in dealer's store, or at a home show, don't seem slippery at all.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2005, 01:07:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42