What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How many Gallons is that hot tub?  (Read 21155 times)

IJM241

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
How many Gallons is that hot tub?
« on: January 04, 2005, 03:55:18 pm »
Sorry guys, but I just had to ask. How many times have you heard how many gallons is that tub? Also do you know how manufactures actually calculate it? Just curious.

After being around many different brands of spas, that gallon thing still amazes me.

It's amazing to me how consumers look at how many gallons are in a spa and then compare that with another spa (kind of like HP) and then say (insert any brand name) their spa is 525 gallons.

Sorry again was just reading a post, where the consumer was using that analogy, and it frustrated me.

I realize the simple answer, was just curious how do manufactures actually calculate gallons. Is it overflowing the spa? The normal desired level? Or a guess?

Hot Tub Forum

How many Gallons is that hot tub?
« on: January 04, 2005, 03:55:18 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: How many Gallons is that hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 04:12:52 pm »
I ... was just curious how do manufactures actually calculate gallons. Is it overflowing the spa? The normal desired level? Or a guess?
I don't think there is a standard. I haven't heard how HotSpring does it for sure, but I think it's filled to just under the pillows - or over the highest jet. I have noticed that other makers make some spas which are almost exactly the same dimensions as one of our models, but they claim fifty more gallons than us.

I guess this is an are where the number are just not always going to be the same.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

poolboy34

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 04:20:12 pm »
Haven't heard how exactly they measure how much water a tub will hold, but I'd say it's safe to say that Chas is on the right track.  Gallonage is goning to depend on a lot of things, most notably the style of seating used in the spa, and it's depth.  Take for instance A Hot Sprin Grandee versus a Dimension One Diplomat.  The Grandee incorporates an open syle bench seating configuration, while the diplomat has two lounges and 3 contoured multi-leveled seating.  The grandee holds about 500 gallons(Chas?), and the diplomat holds only 325 gallons.  I know that these tubs aren't exactly the same dimensions, but they are drastically different in how the seats are configured and make for a good cross comparison.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 12:00:20 am »
The grandee holds about 500 gallons(Chas?),
Yes, that's the number on the brochure, and the number I have always used for chem dosing.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 12:29:59 pm »
Yes, that's the number on the brochure, and the number I have always used for chem dosing.

I never considered it when buying, onlhy for dosing afterward.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 12:31:51 pm »
Same here.  I had to look it up the first time I added chemicals.  Also the dealer needed it for their water analyzer.
Brewman
Brewman

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 12:37:31 pm »
Haven't heard how exactly they measure how much water a tub will hold, but I'd say it's safe to say that Chas is on the right track.  Gallonage is goning to depend on a lot of things, most notably the style of seating used in the spa, and it's depth.  Take for instance A Hot Sprin Grandee versus a Dimension One Diplomat.  The Grandee incorporates an open syle bench seating configuration, while the diplomat has two lounges and 3 contoured multi-leveled seating.  The grandee holds about 500 gallons(Chas?), and the diplomat holds only 325 gallons.  I know that these tubs aren't exactly the same dimensions, but they are drastically different in how the seats are configured and make for a good cross comparison.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

Well Jason, I thought of the diplomat right away too. Staying in the D-1 family, the Nautilus and Diplomat are both 92"*92"*36", One hold 400 the other 325. A Coleman C471 is 88"*88"*35" and holds 420.
Homeworks Financing Representative

poolboy34

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 01:43:55 pm »
Well Jason, I thought of the diplomat right away too. Staying in the D-1 family, the Nautilus and Diplomat are both 92"*92"*36", One hold 400 the other 325. A Coleman C471 is 88"*88"*35" and holds 420.

I hate to do this HTM, but the Nautilus is 450 gallons.  Different seating configurations and styles definilty influence the amount of water a spa will hold.  I still haven't figured out exactly why the amount of water a spa will hold is important.............maybe it's the bigger id better philosophy many of today's consumers have.  

Have you seen the new spa models D-1 is coming out with???  I haven't seen them yet, but I have heard some good things about them.  

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 03:30:00 pm »

I hate to do this HTM, but the Nautilus is 450 gallons.  Different seating configurations and styles definilty influence the amount of water a spa will hold.  I still haven't figured out exactly why the amount of water a spa will hold is important.............maybe it's the bigger id better philosophy many of today's consumers have.  

Have you seen the new spa models D-1 is coming out with???  I haven't seen them yet, but I have heard some good things about them.  

D'OH. I was thinking Chairman/CHII/Californian. 450 proves the point better. Ironically the Diplomat weighs more (dry)than any other D-1 besides the Sarena Bay. I guess that foam insulation is heavy!

The Californian has some sweet "bling" I have pictures I can email them to you, PM me.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 06:30:44 pm »
Haven't heard how exactly they measure how much water a tub will hold, but

I think its safe to assume in today's world of computers that this is calculated using AutoCAD or something to that affect. Some guy simply asks the computer to calcualte the volume within given boundries and VOILA!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

spanewbe

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 09:23:24 pm »
I think the person that started this thread (Newbie) was implying that the amount of gallons in a tub is a somewhat worthless piece of information.  I agree that gallons is not in and of itself a big factor, but the information does at least tell one  the approximate amount of underwater volume of one tub vs. another.  We noticed this when we compared the J-385 vs. the Euphoria.  The J-385 feels even bigger than the just external dimension difference of the tubs would suggest because the average depth of the seats is greater and the tub has less molded contours that jut into the tub from the exterior.  A second minor thought is that given identical use, the tub with more gallons could be easier to maintain since less contaminants per gallon will be introduced into the tub with more gallons (ok, maybe I am reaching with this point).  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 09:34:49 pm »
There's one way to prove this:

Any volunteers?

salesdvl

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 11:00:12 pm »
Hey Chas,   We have that same measuring cup.     At least we USED to.     Hmmmmmm....... :)
Measure once, cut twice.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 07:37:01 am »
There's one way to prove this:

Any volunteers?

Chas clearly has too much time on his hands. My preferred method.

At least this is what I use for partial changes.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

poolboy34

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 12:02:33 pm »
God that sucks Bill...................you really should invest in a small submersible pump ;)  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 12:02:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42