What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just Getting Started!  (Read 3205 times)

Revlis

Just Getting Started!
« on: January 03, 2005, 11:00:26 am »
Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for this board.  Lots of great information here!!  I'm in the market for a new spa and am doing the research.  Found this site, and am really looking forward to getting involved here.  

So anyway, just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm out of NJ, heavily looking at Sundance, but keeping my options open at this point.  (more wet testing to do)

I have an entire back yard to build but I figure if I put my spa in first, I'll have it to soak in after those long days of landscaping and deck building!

I currently have 100amps coming into the house...   Think I'll need to upgrade?

Happy new year.
- Brad

Hot Tub Forum

Just Getting Started!
« on: January 03, 2005, 11:00:26 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Just Getting Started!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 11:07:25 am »
Your electrical needs will determine if an upgrade is required: there are some houses which can add the 60-amp version of a Sundance spa to a 100-amp box without an upgrade, while other houses can't add a 20-amp 110 spa without an upgrade. Have an electrician come do a 'load survey.'

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 11:21:38 am »
I currently have 100amps coming into the house...   Think I'll need to upgrade?

Happy new year.
- Brad

I'm getting by with a 100amp service. I have a gas furnace and hot water heater, but have an electric dryer and central air.

In the summer, if the AC is on, I'll shut it off for the 15-30 minutes we use our tub.  If I have AC on and both pumps on the tub on High, and someone uses either the microwave, a hair dryer, or the clothes dryer, its  "pop"
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 11:25:08 am »

I'm getting by with a 100amp service. I have a gas furnace and hot water heater, but have an electric dryer and central air.

In the summer, if the AC is on, I'll shut it off for the 15-30 minutes we use our tub.  If I have AC on and both pumps on the tub on High, and someone uses either the microwave, a hair dryer, or the clothes dryer, its  "pop"

Terminator,
Sounds like the veritable "Green Acres" load balancing system is alive and well in Columbus!  And when it pops, just get Eb to reset it for ya! ;D
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Revlis

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 11:55:45 am »
I have gas stove, oil heat, gas dryer, gas water heater, and currently just window air conditioning, and normally only have the air on in the rooms that are occupied.

I'm really tempted to upgrade, though I suppose I could always do it later after I see how everything goes.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 12:24:05 pm »
You're fine with 100 amp service. Pretty standard 'round here.

Steve

Revlis

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 02:08:45 pm »
Any typical range for how much an electrician might cost to run a sub-panel about 20 ft away from the main box?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 02:30:13 pm »
$400 to $800 in our area...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 03:02:25 pm »
Terminator,
Sounds like the veritable "Green Acres" load balancing system is alive and well in Columbus!  And when it pops, just get Eb to reset it for ya! ;D

Did you watch the endless reruns of "Christmas story?" "dad could change fuses faster than anybody, he bought em by the gross."

Speaking of gross, the circuit panel us right by the cat's litterbox, so I take a flashlight.

S
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 09:21:30 pm »
Hey Revlis,

Where in NJ are you?  Stuart quoted 400-800 but I doubt you will enen get a live body to come for that money in NY/NJ. LOL!

It depends on how long the run is, iff you are digging a trench, do you have open space in your existing panel, etc...

Good luck with the spa search.

Jonathan

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 09:25:45 pm »
Sorry, I didn't see the NJ at first.

Jonathan is correct, I doubt you could get it anywhere near that where you are.

NJ has some pretty funky codes and regulations.

Revlis

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 09:50:05 am »
 ::)

Yea, living in NJ can be a pain at times.  I'm in Bayonne.  There are two local outfits I see all over, so I'll probably give them a call, but I'd prefer to use someone who's done this type of hookup before.

I figure both the electric and the concrete pad are going to cost me!  Good thing my neighbor works in the permit department of the town........

Revlis

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 04:11:43 pm »
Anyone know if both the 2004 Sundance Cameo AND the Optima have the same loud diverter noise?   This seems like the only complaint I consistently hear, but haven't heard it about it on the Optima yet.

Chris_H

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 05:28:17 pm »
The diverter noise is there on both models.  It is “supposedly” going away for the 2005 models and the adjustment is “supposed” to be retrofitable to earlier Sundance years.  I personally don’t expect the noise to go away this year.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 06:45:01 pm »
I have gas stove, oil heat, gas dryer, gas water heater, and currently just window air conditioning, and normally only have the air on in the rooms that are occupied.

I'm really tempted to upgrade, though I suppose I could always do it later after I see how everything goes

How long do you plan to stay in that house?  If a long time, it might be good investment.  It will cost more to upgrade 5 years from now.  At some point you get the $$ back at resale.  .  .On the other hand, spas are portable and if you think you'll move on in a few years. . .
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 06:46:48 pm by UnderTheStars »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 06:45:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42