What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Tubs  (Read 41546 times)

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
Re: Arctic Tubs
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 11:32:39 am »
on: Dec 8th, 2004, 11:04pm nelg PM’ed me with this message….

:o  Apparently, Arctic is good at giving the cold shoulder!

-Ed
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 11:42:18 am by ebirrane »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 11:32:39 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 11:40:42 am »

What was the warranty thing?  It seems the posts were deleted?

-Ed

No they were not deleted. I posted this from another topic to make sure Mr. Keirstead did not see it. I doubt he's giving me a "cold shoulder" but more likely verifying info for the correct answer.

I have no doubt that Mr. Keirstead is much more the professional than we have seen lately posting for Arctic....

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 11:54:36 am »
Agreed
Homeworks Financing Representative

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 01:13:45 pm »
If anything after 2" of insulation is sufficient, why do so many companies foam fill their spas?  The claim I keep hearing is, "it is more efficient".  That would seem in contravention to one of their own's comments.

Isn't the type of foam in the cover different than what's used in the cabinet?
e

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 01:18:34 pm »
Isn't the type of foam in the cover different than what's used in the cabinet?

Stop making sense!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2004, 05:43:25 pm »

-Ed

Well Ed, you might be right at this point! I thought Mr. Keirstead was more professional than what we’ve been seeing… ? He might still be verifying things though or has other fires to put out, I'll be patient and give him more time....

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2004, 05:45:09 pm »
Well Ed, you might be right at this point! I thought Mr. Keirstead was more professional than what we’ve been seeing… ? He might still be verifying things though or has other fires to put out, I'll be patient and give him more time....

Don't sell him short yet...Stabone did post an apology:

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1102611079

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2004, 07:16:58 pm »
In my very short time owning my tub I have been happy. It is hot when I get in and stays hot when I'm not. My electric bill is respectable and my neighbours think I'm the best thing since sliced bread.
This is awesome. I am so glad you said that.

There is no Arctic support found here on this site. This does not alarm me in the least. I am a Canadian who wanted to purchase a tub built in Canada. I tested/researched Hydropool, Polar, Beachcomber seriously. My wife and liked the Arctic better. That's just our opinion. I do not feel like the dealer in any way sold me some hype. They were professional on all levels. My wife and I expect to continue sitting under the snowy limbs counting the stars and enjoying our tub.
There is now support for Arctic. And you did a wonderful job of providing it. There is no way anyone could possibly argue what you have said - and again, thanks for saying it.

I would also like to point out that even though the Arctic guy was often misguided, he wasn't the only one being unprofessional.

Cheers

Jc
Thanks for the reminder. I am ashamed of my behaviour, and glad it was 'moderated away.' I will try to do better in future. Amazing how easy it is to jump into it with harsh words. Sorry.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 07:18:49 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2004, 08:27:01 pm »

Oops, I didn't mean that the piping didn't exist.  I meant that someone (stuart maybe?) had said that this type of piping is heavier and required more support and that the support for the piping did not exist.

Many thermopane tub manufacturers place foam on the piping in part for insulation, and in part for support.

But if this is incorrect, please let me know and I'll modify the original post.

-Ed

Darned english language, so many ways to interpret...or misinterpret

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004, 02:08:37 pm »
Mr. Kierstead,
I've noticed that you are still posting but haven't replied to my questions on page one of this topic? Could you take a moment and do that? It would make me feel a bit better about the un-professional way your factory rep attacked me personally on Private Messages. I wouldn't think this is how you want your company portrayed by me or anyone else.....

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2004, 02:37:27 pm »
Figured I'd jump in with a little info in regards to the "anything after 2" of foam is a waste" thing...... I tend to somewhat disagree......

First off, I'm basing this particular post on a single web site that lists the R-value of both EPS foam (what's in a spa cover), and spray urethane foam (what insulates the sides of most spas). Their R-values seem a bit lower than most claim, but hey, I gotta go with something :-) . I wont even BEGIN to go into the problems and flaws of how R value is determined. Dats a whole nother story....

They list the urethane at R-7.14 per inch, and the EPS at R-3.57 per inch. They don't mention the density of either, but the difference in density and it's R-value make for negligent differences in the following.

Now, there are studies that show for the average home (heated to I believe 70 degrees), R-7 will stop about 70% of heat loss, R-14 stops about 90% of heat loss and R-28.5 stops about 95% of heat loss. Remember, this is for a HOME, and I tend to think that with a hotter, 104 degree spa, the heat loss will be greater

This converts to 2" of EPS stopping about 70% of heat loss. In my opinion this is not acceptable from a spa cover and should be closer to 90% or even 95%. Again, remember that a spa is much hotter than a home, and the greater the temperature difference (compared to the ambient temp) the faster the transfer of heat.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ebirrane

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2004, 01:32:42 am »
I think that my dealer said that my tub had an R-39 value in the sides and an R-29 rating for the cover.  My cover is about 2 inches.

Do any dealers make R-value measurements on their covers?  

-Ed
(and, yes, R value calculations from what little I have read on them do seem pretty wacky..)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004, 02:02:03 am »
R-29????????? what kind of cover is this?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004, 08:41:10 am »
I'd like to know the cover as well.  You're talking about R15 per inch?  That seems pretty high.  What kind of cover is this?  
Very curious.
Brewman
Brewman

ebirrane

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2004, 09:59:49 am »
I think that is what the dealer said.  Maybe he said R-19. It's a HS grandee, and the local HS dealer was talking about the R value of the covers for all of the HS lines.

Maybe he was "talkin' it up" to make a sale, or maybe I heard him incorrectly.  But I do remember thinking "wow, that's alot of insulationon the cover".

Of course, my other cover question would be: where does the most heat loss occur through the cover?  I would guess (and it is a guess) that it isn't directly through the 2,3,4" cover, but rather through the points where the cover contacts the tub. Specifically:

1) The "joint" where the 2 parts of the cover are hinged.

2) The rim all the way around the cover, where just a vinyl flap comes down over the spa shell.

-Ed

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2004, 09:59:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42