What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping for the perfect spa  (Read 4533 times)

csutton

Shopping for the perfect spa
« on: December 14, 2004, 06:15:02 pm »
Ok guys, hopefully I am not being too bothersome with my questions on which spa to buy!  First let me start by saying that everyone on this board have been very helpful in my search for a new spa.  Since this is the first spa I have purchased, I had a ton of questions that were mostly answered here.  
I have almost made up my mind to go with the HS Vanguard.  I have shopped HS, Caldera, Tiger River, and today I looked at the Dimension One Nautilus.  While I have heard good things about D1 I was not completely sold on the construction of the spa.  The shell seemed to be thin and not very sturdy.  Any thoughts on the D1 dependability in comparison to the HS would be helpful.  They are about the same price.  
Lastly, does the HS Vanguard sit 4 people comfortably with its layout?  It almost seems that the "cooling bench" takes up a comfortable seet.  Sorry if I am bugging you guys with my constant questions, but this is a purchase that I want to make sure I made the right decision on!
Thanks again

Hot Tub Forum

Shopping for the perfect spa
« on: December 14, 2004, 06:15:02 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Shopping for the perfect spa
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 08:04:56 pm »
Well, I know with the total of 3 posts, you've certainly overstayed your welcome! ;)  ;D Just Kidding...

Though HotSprings are one of the biggest, it doesn't always make them the best. You are the only one to determine that and by the sounds of it, you haven't wet tested it yet. Before you fork over the big bucks, I would certainly recommend that first and foremost.

As for your comment on D1, I haven't heard of any concerns with their construction or dependability. There's lot's of spas out there and the two mentioned are certainly quality units. Keep testing until you find YOUR perfect spa. You'll know when that is...

Steve

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 08:08:19 pm »
I would say, owning a Vanguard myself, that you may want to wet test it with four people, to see how you fit.  It depends on the 4 people.  Being short, myself, I would not have problems with playing footsie with others.  I have never had 4 people in it, all at once!  It is perfect for my husband and I!

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 08:13:05 pm »
I personally don't believe that there is huge difference between the shell on the D1 and the HotSpring. I do feel though that the D1 has a heavier duty frame then the HotSpring in addition to a more intricate sanitation system.

Both are exceptional spas and have their plus's and minus's, D1 is on their 8th generation of the heater that HotSpring has done now for a couple of years.

HotSpring has made several great changes in the last few years and closed the gap a bit more but again I believe that D1 still leads in technology and engineering....

You will find that industry pro’s like Chas and I rarely differ on our opinions of many brands but both will passionately defend our stances as to why we believe one is better than the other (Chas Hotspring, Me D1). I have sold both but now sell D1, even with the option I would still keep the D1 line over Hotspring….

The bottom line is that I don’t think you could go wrong with either.

csutton

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 08:31:28 pm »
Only with 3 posts, I didn't want to seem that I was asking the same questions over again, just a different comparison.  
My wife and I actually did wet test the HS but the dealer had the Grandee.  I have sat in the Vanguard dry and like it.  
My wife fell in love with the HS Vanguard as soon as we looked at it and has not stopped talking about it since.  Me, being the more conservative shopper, have been trying to look at other brands to see what else is out there to make sure we make the right decision.  I realize that once it is in the place, we will be happy with one or the other. I just want to make sure that I have one of the most dependable spas available.
 Obviously every dealer I talk to has their own opinions on which is better.  That is why I come here to try and get an un-biased opinion if that is possible ???

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 08:41:14 pm »
Have you wet tested the D1?

Lori

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 08:44:15 pm »
Csutton,

Have you wet tested the d1?  If not, I would suggest you wet test any brand or model you are interested in.

You are fine asking questions.  Unbiased opinions...well...you may be asking too much!   ;) Just kidding guys!

Lori

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 08:44:56 pm »
Have you wet tested the D1?

Great minds think alike??  8)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 08:48:53 pm »

Great minds think alike??  8)

YES THEY DO!!! ;)

As far as unbiased opinions go, I believe for the most part that I'm pretty fair excluding some brands that I feel do not sell honestly. Considering that my personal feelings towards some of the brands I offer support for are much harsher than I let on......

csutton

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 09:03:04 pm »
Yeah, I guess I will give the D1 a test for comparison. I realize most of the posts here are dealers, but as a whole I see more info on HS than I do D1.  I just wanted to make sure I was comparing one quality spa to another.  
One thing that attracted me to HS was the dealer has been in my area (Richmond, VA) for yrs and seems to be a respectable dealer.  I too and in sales and I believe the person you buy from is as important as the product when comparing apples to apples.  That being said, I know the D1 dealer personally and feel that I would get preferential treatment if needed.
Thanks again

csutton

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 09:06:43 pm »
Let me re-phrase that before the everyone reacts to what I meant to say.......

"I am also in sales and I believe the company you buy from is as important as the product when comparing apples to apples"

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 09:26:32 pm »
Yeah, I guess I will give the D1 a test for comparison. I realize most of the posts here are dealers, but as a whole I see more info on HS than I do D1.  I just wanted to make sure I was comparing one quality spa to another.  
One thing that attracted me to HS was the dealer has been in my area (Richmond, VA) for yrs and seems to be a respectable dealer.  I too and in sales and I believe the person you buy from is as important as the product when comparing apples to apples.  That being said, I know the D1 dealer personally and feel that I would get preferential treatment if needed.
Thanks again

That being said I believe a wet test will cinch the deal!

xrdirthead

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 12:17:13 am »
Wheres Chas..I thought he would have jumped in on this one tonight....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 12:20:18 am »
Wheres Chas..I thought he would have jumped in on this one tonight....

Napping again...
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 01:41:39 am »
You'll get lots of opinions and most will be very biased...
But most will be fare....

Spahappy :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 01:41:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42