What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Alk low PH high....updated  (Read 3471 times)

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Alk low PH high....updated
« on: December 07, 2004, 10:58:16 pm »
Ok,

After water change on Sunday, I tested the water today, PH reading 8 and alk in 100 with the Taylor test kit.

What to do now.  If I put in PH decreaser won't the ALK drop as well?

Jonathan

« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 06:56:45 pm by newtotubbing »

Hot Tub Forum

Alk low PH high....updated
« on: December 07, 2004, 10:58:16 pm »

Shut_Down_Stranger

Re: Alk low PH high....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 11:56:27 pm »
yep the pH will drop.

alkalinity is not as important as pH.

alkalinity is the measure of the amount of acid required to lower the pH to 4.  This is often called the buffering capacity of the water. It is primarliy an indicator of the amount of carbonate/bicabonate in the water.

pH is the measure of the amount of acid in the water. You want it to be slighly alkaline (7.4 to 7.6 is considered optimum) . Visually you will notice that if the water with higher pH will be more green (higher pH) than blue (lower pH). It may be slighly cloudy at higher pH as well.

If you want it perfect, you can add pH up (sodium carbonate) and pH down (sodium bicarbonate) to increase carbonate/bicarbonate in the water.

With low alkalinity, you would find that the pH of the water would decrease more when you add the bromine or chlorine since they form a weak acid when they dissolve.

Under normal conditions, I use about 2 to 3 times the amount of pH up and rarely use pH down.    

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:23:47 am »
If you want it perfect, you can add pH up (sodium carbonate) and pH down (sodium bicarbonate) to increase carbonate/bicarbonate in the water.
Actually, it's "pH down (sodium bisulfate)"
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 12:20:41 pm »
So should I just sit back, do nothing and wait for the PH to drop?

Jonathan

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 03:41:40 pm »
Jonathan,
If you read my post "Water Change:  Observations and Experiment" you saw that I experienced a drop in pH after a week's worth of dichlor.  Maybe this would apply to you as well.  Anyway, check out the post and maybe it will help.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 03:53:56 pm »
Yes I read it, very good post you put together.  I am hoping it will do the same.  I will report in this thread what happens in a week.

Thanks.

Jonathan

steve771

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 12:18:52 am »
Jonathan, I would be interested in your results as well.  I had high TA and high pH.  I found as I moved the pH in range, the TA dropped considerablly.  Right now I have a higher pH (7.6/7.8 ) with a lower TA (around 70).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 12:19:20 am by steve771 »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 07:16:07 am »
Just a thought, after a year of water management.  Relax, and keep the ph where it should be first, then worry about alk.  I have to admit, though, after micro-managing my water the first...ohhh...probably 6 months, it all seemed to level off and stay within range pretty simply.

Good luck!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 08:11:37 am »
Micromanaging water is a rite of passage for spa owners.  I did it when we got our spa, and I had to resist the temptation when we switched chemical systems 6 weeks ago.
Brewman
Brewman

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 12:11:39 pm »
When I first got the spa on Sept 27th I was constantly checking the water, sometimes twice a day.  I would use 2 different brands of test strips as well.  In the past 3 weeks I've checked it once a week.   Doing this has raised my enjoyment of my spa tremendously, much less stress.  I am using 2 tsp of dichlor AFTER usage and shocking once a week.  So far, so good, it seems to be working.  I am not sure if I will ever go back to using MPS.  I have a big 5lb jug of it, maybe I will use it occasionally until it's gone.

Jonathan

steve771

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 01:46:58 pm »
Micromanaging water is a rite of passage for spa owners.  I did it when we got our spa, and I had to resist the temptation when we switched chemical systems 6 weeks ago.
Brewman

I KNEW there was something to my chanting and ritualistic mumbo jumbo.  Hope it will pass soon!  ;D

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 10:36:13 pm »
ok, it is bisulfate, which will lower the pH and alkalinity.  

but alkalinity is predominatly a measure of carbonate/bicarbonate buffering capacity, so it you want to increase the alkalininty, you would have to add the sodium carbonate, which would increase pH and then lower it with the pH down. This would convert the carbonate to bicarbonate.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 11:48:45 pm »
I always adjust Alk on fill along with Calcium hardness. I don't mess with the PH for a day or so after that and then adjust up or down as needed.

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 04:01:04 pm »
***Update***

Took a water sample to my dealer for computer analysis today.  Alk was 72 and ph was 7.1.  So it seems that PH did drop as Windsurfdog had expected.  Was told to add ALK increaser and the PH should rise a bit as well.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 04:01:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42