What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question about water temp  (Read 3854 times)

tvaughan

• Hot Springs Grandee Owner
Question about water temp
« on: December 05, 2004, 06:34:12 pm »
I've had my HS Grandee since October 18th 2004.  Thanks to all the reading and several months of testing,and testing we finally found the Hot Springs Dealer about 35 miles from us.  Anyway,,  
I changed the water after the first 4 weeks after reading information from chas.  It's been very nice.  

I changed the water this afternoon and it just seems to not be getting warm at all.  It's been about 4 hours now.  I just checked it and it's still only at 80 F.

Will it heat faster with the jets on with the cover down?  It's 25 F out side now.  It was in the high 30's F when I changed the water this afternoon.   Any help would be much appreciated.  I hope the heater is working.  There is no indicator on the display of the grandee for the heater.    

Thanks..
 -Tom-

Hot Tub Forum

Question about water temp
« on: December 05, 2004, 06:34:12 pm »

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
Re: Question about water temp
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 06:56:34 pm »
I changed my water yesterday.  It was in the low 40's here in Michigan.  The water temp out of the hose was 57 degrees.  I started filling around 6:00 PM.  I checked the tub temp for the last time around 11:00PM and it was at 80 degrees.  I woke up this morning to 102.

Give it time.

Elle

tvaughan

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 07:16:47 pm »
 I started filling around 6:00 PM.  I checked the tub temp for the last time around 11:00PM and it was at 80 degrees.  I woke up this morning to 102.
Give it time.
Elle

Yes,, I know.  Thanks.  I was converned that the heater may not be working.  It's pretty cold out right now so I suppose it will take longer to heat up.  I'm sure everything will be fine. I did just check it again and it's up to 82 F now so the heater must be working.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 07:55:40 pm »
You'll be fine. Close the lid, shut off jets, and go see a movie.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 08:12:07 pm »
Try filling it with hot water like it did yesterday.  About an hour after filling it was ready! 8)

Get a hose adapter for your sink faucet and run the hose outside.  I have a slop sink about 15 feet from my spa so it was very easy.

Enjoy. ;)

Jonathan

tvaughan

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 08:12:55 pm »
You'll be fine. Close the lid, shut off jets, and go see a movie.

;)

Thanks Chas.. I know the heater is working now, its up to 84 f.

I do have one question.  I'm trying to find Tri X filters.  I spoke with my dealer Saturday and he said they are for the Vista and Envoy not the grandee.  Is this true?         There are no other hotsprings dealers in the area.    If the TRI X filters will work with the grandee where might one purchase them if my dealer won't sell them.  Hmmmmm... It's cold here and I would like to be able to clean my filters in the dishwasher. I guess I should have posted a new topic..

tvaughan

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 08:20:38 pm »
Try filling it with hot water like it did yesterday.  About an hour after filling it was ready! 8)

Get a hose adapter for your sink faucet and run the hose outside.  I have a slop sink about 15 feet from my spa so it was very easy.

Enjoy. ;)

Jonathan

The first time I refilled (after the first 3 weeks of chemical panic and over kill) I connected to the washer faucet hot water side and filled.  It seemed to do fine with that but I had so many people advise against it.  My dealer suggested that I not do that again.  Something about causing problems with the heater circuit and possible problems due to calcium in the hotwater tank.   Anyway, I guess what ever works. This does take a long time in 25 degree weather.  But I'm very new to the hottub thing and tend to follow the dealers advise.

Thanks
 -Tom-

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 09:56:00 pm »

The first time I refilled (after the first 3 weeks of chemical panic and over kill) I connected to the washer faucet hot water side and filled.  It seemed to do fine with that but I had so many people advise against it.  My dealer suggested that I not do that again.  Something about causing problems with the heater circuit and possible problems due to calcium in the hotwater tank.   Anyway, I guess what ever works. This does take a long time in 25 degree weather.  But I'm very new to the hottub thing and tend to follow the dealers advise.
Thanks
  -Tom-

Chas, any input on this one?  I can't imaging any problems with the heater circuit at all.  The calcium maybe.  My hot water system is run thru a boiler mate, which is inline with my hot water boiler, not sure how much more calicum is getting into the tub.

Anyone?

Jonathan

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 10:10:43 pm »
I do have one question.  I'm trying to find Tri X filters.  I spoke with my dealer Saturday and he said they are for the Vista and Envoy not the grandee.  Is this true?         There are no other hotsprings dealers in the area.    If the TRI X filters will work with the grandee where might one purchase them if my dealer won't sell them.  Hmmmmm... It's cold here and I would like to be able to clean my filters in the dishwasher. I guess I should have posted a new topic..
Walk in there, put your money on the counter and say you want four Tri-X filters. Then go home and put them into your Grandee - they fit perfectly. I said four, by the way, thinking that you might want to keep a standard filter on the circ pump. Some folks do that. But if you want to be able to put all your filters into the d/w, then pop for five.

Tell them I said so !! Or, if that doesn't impress them, just walk over and open up the filter area on a Grandee and a Vista or Envoy and swap them right before their very eyes.

Now about hot water: you must put in a couple of feet of cool/cold water first to keep from damaging the surface. Also, it is always a good idea to fill through the filter area, but if you put hot water in THERE you will trip the hi limits or cause other problems.

If you have a water heater with a tank, be sure not to use the drain on the front to fill anything. It is there to blow out the crud from the bottom of the tank. No tank? No crud. I think Tom said he connected to a faucet on a slop sink - that keeps the crud problem out of the picture, thought the quality of the water may still not be a good as the cold side.

If you have a tankless heater, you could put the cold hose into the filter area, and a hot hose into the water at the bottom of the tub - once it gets a foot or more deep. Then you can safely cut down on the heating time. This usually takes about four hours of set-up, careful monitoring of everything so as not to damage the surface or trip high limits - but you save an hour in heating time....
::)

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 10:12:29 pm »
I can't imaging any problems with the heater circuit at all.  The calcium maybe.  My hot water system is run thru a boiler mate, which is inline with my hot water boiler, not sure how much more calicum is getting into the tub.

Anyone?

Jonathan

I know Calcium can be an issue but if you monitor your hot water temp (fill with a cold water hose too so it's not too hot) you shouldn't have a problem.

Here is some good input on the subject Filling a tub with Hot Water?
e

tvaughan

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 10:24:42 pm »
 :) Alright!!!... 10:21pm and the water in my tub is now 102 F.  It's 18 F outside now.  What a wonderful heater in that grandee.  I thought it would be tomorrow morning.  I'm going to get in the tub... :)

Oh,, thanks chas.. I'll go get those TRI-X filters tomorrow afternoon.  

-Tom-

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 10:35:51 pm »
:) Alright!!!... 10:21pm and the water in my tub is now 102 F.  It's 18 F outside now.  What a wonderful heater in that grandee.  I thought it would be tomorrow morning.  I'm going to get in the tub... :)

Oh,, thanks chas.. I'll go get those TRI-X filters tomorrow afternoon.  

-Tom-
Good deal.
I can take paypal for my percentage, btw....

salesdvl

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 10:45:37 pm »
If you have a tankless heater,

Heating water...It's a tankless job   ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 10:45:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42