What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: -Which cover lifter is best?  (Read 18900 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re:  -Which cover lifter is best?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 05:31:26 pm »
... most other dealers were selling the tub with a "deluxe" cover lifter. All of them supported the cover by the hinge.
If everybody jumped off the bridge, would YOU jump off the bridge??

;)

I still don't like hanging the cover by the hinge. It's just ...

... wrong.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 05:31:26 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 05:44:16 pm »
Well I couldn't justify that Hot Spring dealer's rip off of $450, heck for less money I could buy a extreme cover from Doc and still have enough money for a year of chems!  ;D

And then again if Watkins is doing it and sells another 600,00 tubs maybe the rest will follow.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 06:02:52 pm »
Chas,

The HS dealer here "sells" the HS cover lift for around $450 (price in the book) and I was able to buy the Covermate for about 1/2 that.
Hmm. I wouldn't have to charge sales tax on that, now would I? I'm not saying I would, but it is an interesting thought.....

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 06:14:14 pm »
I can see it now - 2" square holes on the side of the cover, wisps of fabric being held by the lifter attachment mechanism and me saying "maybe this wasn't a smart move on my part".

Seriously though, I didn't examine the cover too closely, Watkins has to have some type of reinforced side to use those lifters. I couldn't see vinyl taking that type of stress.

But as I read in another post, if you really are that bored you can open up a cover, all you need is a single edge razor, a steady hand ...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 07:05:25 pm »
Seriously though, I didn't examine the cover too closely, Watkins has to have some type of reinforced side to use those lifters. I couldn't see vinyl taking that type of stress.

That's the whole point. There are four metal anchors designed into the cover, in addition to the metal reinforcements under the hinges.

Actually, it works quite well, and doesn't suspend the cover by the hinge.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 07:07:07 pm »
If everybody jumped off the bridge, would YOU jump off the bridge?? ;)

Did I miss something? Was there a bridge jumping party?
I still don't like hanging the cover by the hinge. It's just ...

... wrong.

2 words

Cover Saver.....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 07:24:21 pm »
2 words

Cover Saver.....
If everyone else got a cover saver, would you get a cover saver?

Actually, four out of five spa dealers recommend the Cover Saver for their patients who hang the cover by the hinge..
;)

steve771

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 11:00:33 pm »
I got a cover lifter included in the package, and was afraid it was too much stress on the hinge, so I did get the cover saver.  It is easy to see how it transfers the load.  A simple device that seems to work well.  :)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 11:36:17 pm »
All the new cover mates now have towel hooks built into them.

One of those very cool, simple ideas, that no one else though of.......... give it 6 months, EVERYONE will have them  ;D

The Hot Springs lift is a pretty cool simple idea too. It's just some metal angle thats imbedded into the foam..... Held in place simple with TAPE. The lifter screws into it. The things WORK (we offer it on replacement covers)!

Hanging by the hinge........ When the cover is new and light it normally isn't a problem.... Though it depends a little on the design of the cover. As the cover ages, and starts taking on water it "may" damage the cover...... BUT, by that time it might be time for a new cover ANYWAY. As a cover starts taking on moisture, it  loses insulation value. So by the time a cover lifter causes problems it may very well be time to replace the cover anyways.

By the way, we put 6" of nylon webbing at the edges of the covers hinge for added strenth..........

Any one else get the free bottle of wine that the Cover Mate people were giving away at tyhe Aqua show (I got a few bottles)? It ain't great, but I'm almost out   :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-/ :-* :'(
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2004, 12:57:42 am »
The Hot Springs lift is a pretty cool simple idea too. It's just some metal angle thats imbedded into the foam..... Held in place simple with TAPE. The lifter screws into it. The things WORK (we offer it on replacement covers)!
There is actually some double-back tape first, then the stickiest substance known to mankind: Duct tape.  Or a heavy cloth tape very similar to duct tape anyway.  I'm not sure if the Duct Tape is there to hold the plate in place or to keep the layers from chafing - most likely both.

Then the vapor barrier, then the vinyl. When you fasten the side arms in place, the stainless steel screws sandwich the vaious layers. The system works.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 12:58:21 am by Chas »

pantherkat

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2004, 10:53:52 pm »
Sorry I dont know what cover lifter is best....I will leave that to the experts on this site.....but I see you went with the Caldera Niagra !!!!  

What was your final deciding factor ?

Fellow Caldera owner !!! Well almost...its not here yet  :'(

The deciding factor for the Niagara was a combination of value for the money, comfort, and performance.  We find the layout to be perfect, seats 4 very comfortably and up to 7.  The champagne opal color threw me over the top!  Hang in there, I know it's tough waiting for the spa - we should be bubbling in 2 days..... Which Caldera did you acquire?

mhraracing

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004, 08:58:57 pm »

The deciding factor for the Niagara was a combination of value for the money, comfort, and performance.  We find the layout to be perfect, seats 4 very comfortably and up to 7.  The champagne opal color threw me over the top!  Hang in there, I know it's tough waiting for the spa - we should be bubbling in 2 days..... Which Caldera did you acquire?

We went with the Geneva in the Pearl color - When wet testing....I really liked the lounger and my wife loved the Ecsta seat....so we went with the Geneva as opposed to the Niagra.  - We should be in 'Utopia' within the next two weeks.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004, 08:58:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42