What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: landscaping  (Read 5376 times)

anne

landscaping
« on: March 27, 2006, 01:58:31 pm »
I have noticed quite a few posts lately from people with landscaping/patio/deck ideas, and it also seems that people are very excited about before and after pics. So, wanted to share with you my last big project.....not hot tub involved, but doing this project gave me the confidence and inspiration to make a nice tub area in the back. I had help from my very handy brother installing a sprinkler system and low voltage lights and his guidance (and some muscle) for installing flagstone, but other than that it was all DYI with very little experience on my part, which hopefully will motivate others, too!

Before:

Oh, I also hired 2 guys with jack hammers to break up and take away the old concrete. Not worth doing myself, by any means!!

After:

:) :) :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 02:12:30 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

landscaping
« on: March 27, 2006, 01:58:31 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: landscaping
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 02:51:56 pm »
Very nice, Anne! I love all the color, are they wildflowers?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:41:41 pm »
Very nice!  :D
RIP C-Rod

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 09:47:12 pm »
It's very nice!

One wish is to one day be able to garden ... I've been informed that it won't happen until inside the house gets done. Besides I don't really have a green thumb!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 07:31:33 am »
What no hot peppers Vinny? Some of my best gardening advice came from the little Italian man at my local grocery store.
I like what Anne did with her yard because it looks natural and it flows, not like beds of flowers or clusters of color, but a nice diverse mix with lots of green. Very pretty!

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 07:50:51 am »
so anne, a couple questions here.....is there color for each season in that mix? (I've never been able to mix flowering plants to get that effect thru the 3 growing seasons here.  :-[ ) , and.....I'm not sure where you're from, but do you have a die-off season that you just mow down what's there to prep it for next growing season? Or is that a "I planted it, now it's on its beautiful for life" type? I love the wild look, btw....more and more as I flip back to this thread....this is the stuff that gets me thinking...and wondering what I can really do in a 3 season growing area.
RIP C-Rod

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 08:45:33 am »
T-Lady, You have so many options.  I have a ton (literally) of tropical plants that will move outdoors to my deck in the summer. I love palm trees. I have annuals growing in the bottom of the pots, so in additon to the tropical green, I get the brilliant colors of annual plants.
Actulaly right now my impatients are blooming in the bottom of a huge Yucca tree. they will bloom all summer in the shade and I have had them in the same pot for about 4 years.  Head on over to WAlMart, they have a nice variety of bulbs and seeds right now. Divide your yard into deep shade, marginal and sun and that will help you decide what you can grow and where it will do well. Use evergreen plants like Rhodenderon for filtered privacy year around and you get the bonus of beautiful colors in late spring. I am actually going today to pick up some wildflower mix (inspired by Anne's pictures) to put around some of the trees in my woods. You can always just start out with potted gardens and make them permanant if you decide you really like how they look.
;)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 09:22:23 am »
What no hot peppers Vinny? Some of my best gardening advice came from the little Italian man at my local grocery store.
I like what Anne did with her yard because it looks natural and it flows, not like beds of flowers or clusters of color, but a nice diverse mix with lots of green. Very pretty!

Wife's response to growing vegies - the dog poops in the back.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:38:05 am »
OK, not being smart here Vinny but you could, should you really want to, do container gardening on your deck...I use the long planters that hang on the deck rails to grow my basil, oregano thyme and rosemary..in many varieties...I love fresh herbs in my gravy!  There are wonderful tomato varieties that will do well in planters..along with those hot peppers I was talking about. I promise if you plant some of those hot peppers in the yard, the dog will find another place to do his business!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 02:27:01 pm by Bonibelle »

anne

Re: landscaping NOT
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 10:21:14 am »
T lady- I staryed out just spirnkling tons of wildflower seeds out as I made more permanent plans, wanting there to at least be some color and green. That was last year. This year, the flowers are coming back on their own (I helped a little by collecting and re-sprinkling seeds.) I am not very good at having a really balanced spring-summer-winter garden, but I'm working on it.

I live in CA- the garden is MUCH more sedate in the winter, but there are growing #s of "permanent residents" that have their glory when the wildflowers die off. I have dedicated shade and sun areas, but beyond that, no organization (this is NOT a model garden in that way!!!)

As I said, I'm learning as I go. This is only the second year for me, so it is still an experiment.

I'll take a pic out there today or tomorrow for contrast. A few things are starting to bloom, but it is still sort of winter mode out there. And it is a little neglected sinfce all my focus has been on the tub!!!!!
 :D
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 10:33:17 am »
and garden gnomes.  Don't forget to add a bunch of garden gnomes.
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 02:53:48 pm »
T-Lady Now I know what your little green guy is doing... throwing wildflower seeds!  ;D

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 03:12:49 pm »
*LMAO* Yep, he's a tossin' away!  ;D

Cool....I got a box of that wildflower mix for shady areas today....I sprinkled some around the south side of the tub deck.....nothing's getting planted on the east end until the tub's in, since they have to haul it over that side....but I DO like the idea, very much.....border, wild flowers, border, lava pebbles, TUB. Hmmmm......it's got possibilities!!!
RIP C-Rod

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 04:38:29 pm »
How about a koi pond?

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 06:29:12 pm »
was that directed at me or anne, Boni?
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 06:29:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42