Original > Hot Tub Forum

Buying a tub at a 20% to 35% savings from a brand new dealer?

<< < (2/2)

Davekro:
I was considering stretching my already stretched budget, but that mental battle never started after my wife agreed to go do the wet test with me the day after Xmas at the new dealer w/ great pricing. She hates to participate in (to her) my extremely involved research projects. Once she saw the spas in person, she was then interested. I really wanted her input on shell and exterior colors. From our discussion on shell color, I was looking at the Platinum (white w/ light gray swirling). The almond shell, my mind kind of blocked out as 'one of those dark colors'. She really liked the almond shell the best. As I looked at the A6L- Select floor model, knowing 1) that tub could have gotten at a great discount... now. 2) My wife really liked that whole package of A6L, Select Trim, Almond shell. The fact that she joined in my excitement with that tub, that made me decide: "OK, we deserve to splurge for the select trim model!"  LOL.

So I put down $3k deposit to hold it, because I told the young sales guy, that I really like, that for due diligence I needed to see if the local larger dealer had a comparable floor model at as good or better price.

I thought the other dealer would come close, but if that was true, it would confirm my price as very good. Actually before I asked about the floor model, I asked the price to order a new A6L-Select Spec'd the same w/ EOS as the only Optional item, but with Platinum shell instead (implying Platinum was what I really wanted.  ;) I really just wanted to see his best price on a new 'ordered' spa vs the same spa as a floor model. He offered the floor model for $15,900 A6L Select, EOS, Almond shell, $100 worth of chemicals, a Covermate l or lll, my choice, Delivery included. (I did not need a step).

The internet sales rep for the large 8-store chain told me she had pass along my $15,900 sales agreement I sent her up to management to see what they would do,

They have two A6L floor models, both wet testers. One is a Standard, one is a PLUS. She said both these A6L's have the BT Audio option. I said I was'nt really interested in paying a big premium for audio, as it was not even on my radar to consider, but send me your best price on the A6L PLUS wet tester w/EOS and BT Audio, and I'd consider it.

She has not gotten back yet. wanting to know what the Audio option price for an A6L was, I asked my new dealer the option price for audio on an ordered A6L and he said $600. I was surprised it was that low. I heard the transducer speaker system in the A9L we wet tested. I was REALLY surprised that it sounded as good as it did. Obviously, at the A9 Select's price point, they can afford to put in A-LOT of transducers, a decent amp, and mabe even two subwoofers, IDK. But when I heard the A6L audio was only $600, I am wondering if they only put one or two transducers and a very small am, maybe no subwoofer. I'd be really curious 1) to confirm the option price for A6L PLUS to add audio. That way I can know how much to 'value' that option for my maybe/ maybe not decision if their price is a good bit below the $15,900 Select amount. I assume that Wet tester A6L has been at a busier store testing away for a year or more. The $15,900 A6L Select is only two months old in a store with low, low traffic as yet.

Ellen Gallagher:
Hey Dave, it's great that you're researching so thoroughly before making your hot tub purchase! It sounds like you've found a new dealer with some tempting discounts, but you're also considering the value of experience and service from a more established dealer. Since a dealer's service team can be crucial, especially for warranty support, it might be worth paying a bit extra for that peace of mind.

If the larger dealer can match or come close to the new dealer's price, that could be a good compromise. Ultimately, the decision depends on how much you value the potential for better service over the savings.

Sean Lawrence:
While price is a significant factor, especially with such substantial differences, considering the experience and reputation of the dealer is wise. It's crucial to weigh the potential savings against the assurance of reliable service and support over the warranty period. Given Bullfrog's reputation for quality, saving $2,000 to $3,000 might be reasonable, but a larger discount of $5,000 or 30% could warrant taking a chance. Ultimately, ensuring service availability beyond the warranty is essential for long-term peace of mind.

Davekro:
I do feel my price savings was worth it from the new dealer because the established 8-store dealer did not have good reviews for service, at least from the closest store to (45 mins w/o Bay Area traffic). So, being fixed on wanting a Bullfrog, there was no option for a dealer with a good service history/ reputation.

Maybe many hot tub stores in general do not worry about return customers, referrals, or poor social media reviews. Kind of like Solar installation companies.

cranbiz:
And unfortunately, you have found out that your dealer is as responsive about service as the big 8 store chain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version