Original > Hot Tub Forum

Order new tub With Circulation pump -or- Without? Why or Why Not?

(1/5) > >>

Davekro:
Circulation Pump or NO circulation Pump, that is the question.

In my search of this site I did not find a thread that discussed the Pros and Cons if you should order your hot tub with or without a Circulation Pump, assuming your tub has an ozone generator which I'd assume needs to run for longer periods than just two or three 2-hour cleaning sessions per day. I may be wrong. I want to learn basically: 1) How many hours per day a low speed Jet pump should run on average for effective cleaning. 2) If there is no Circ. pump, ≈ how many hours per day should the Jet pump (lower rpm of course) to take advantage of the ozone generator to get enough ozone into the water to be effective at its job?

Why are Circ. Pumps NOT in ANY Bullfrog spas, any Trim Level, only offered as Optional? I may be buying -or- ordering a new Bullfrog A6L or A7L. Am I wrong to think it would be an important thing to add? Why or why not?

I am new to the modern hot tubs, but it would seem they would include a Circ. pump in at least their Plus or Select trim levels. They are not that expensive to add. Bullfrog must feel they really add marginal value, or even have a downside??

One dealer I spoke to said they have their wet floor model A9L set to run every 30 mins. I don't recall for how long. It makes sense that for the ozone generator to be of much use, it has to run more than say 2 hours twice a day. I wonder for how long and how many times per day the default Bullfrog software runs one of the Jet pumps on the low pressure to circulate for cleaning and infusing ozone into the water?

Davekro:
I think this topic would be very good to have a write-up on in the

Hot Tub Buying Guide

Just my 2 cents.  :)

cranbiz:
I'm in the have a circulation pump corner. The idea of running my main pump just to move water around when not in use just doesn't make sense to me if you can equip a tub with a small pump to do that.

Why BullFrog only offers them as an option, I don't know. It was a consideration when I bought my tub.

Davekro:
Cranbiz,
In addition to being able to schedule your Circ. Pump to run 24/7, or 'X' hours 'X' times per day, are you –ALSO– able to schedule one of your Jet Pumps to also able to run 'X' hours 'X' times per day?  What brand, model, ≈ year is your hot tub?

I understand that some brand of hot tubs use very low GPM Circ pumps. Maybe only running 24/7 (w/ no option for fewer hours?).
I read that Bullfrog and many brands use a larger GPM flow rate Circ. Pump. I think I read 7x the GPM of the super low GPM Circs.

I ask about if Bullfrog can 'schedule' both the Circ. & a Jet Pump to be doing filtering, not necessarily programmed for the same hours to run. I am pretty sure I want to get a Circ. Pump on my soon-to-be new Bullfrog. But I'm reading that the stronger GPM flow of the Jet Pump (on low speed) pulls residues and particles floating on the surface that even the higher GPM Circ pumps can not draw into the filter. The best of both worlds would be to be able to schedule the Jet Pump filtration maybe 30-60 mins/ per night, or have a button that runs for the Jet pump filter for an hour or so, right after you get out. That would be a great feature.

cranbiz:
I have an Island Spa (Artesian) Nevis that I bought in 2021.

My circulation pump is available 24/7 but only actually runs when the temperature needs attention. My tub has 2 single speed pumps in addition to the circulation pump. I cannot program either pump to run as a circulation pump nor do I see the need to.

Yes, I can schedule filter cycles that use the main pumps. My current schedule is 2X a day for 2 hours. That has worked really well for keeping the spa clean and the chemicals well balanced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version