What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MPS SHOCK TREATMENT??  (Read 9432 times)

bobhol

• delivery in 35 minutes......or its LATE!!!
MPS SHOCK TREATMENT??
« on: November 10, 2004, 11:26:27 am »
I am using dichlor to maintain and shock my spa as suggested numerous times on this forum . I t seems to work great but what is this MPS and why should I use it? thanks, bobhol

Hot Tub Forum

MPS SHOCK TREATMENT??
« on: November 10, 2004, 11:26:27 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re:  MPS SHOCK TREATMENT??
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 11:54:41 am »
MPS is a non-chlorine shock.  I use Chlorine regularly and once every couple of weeks I use MPS to shock. Others can explain some of the benefits of that.  People that know more than me will tell you MPS adds to your TDS level significantly.   My practical experience is that if my tubs gets a little cloudy, MPS brings it  back faster than Dichlor.  Usually if that happens I'm probably going to change the water in a month or less anyway so I don't worry about the TDS level.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 11:55:15 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bobhol

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 12:03:53 pm »
is  Spa-Lite  by Spa Guard an MPS product? I use a pouch of this once a week. The instructions say it is safe to use the tub 15 minutes later. bobhol

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 12:18:28 pm »
is  Spa-Lite  by Spa Guard an MPS product? I use a pouch of this once a week. The instructions say it is safe to use the tub 15 minutes later. bobhol

In Canada, Spa-Lite contains:

Dichlor
pH buffer (dichlor is pH7, this buffer makes the addition of chemical pH7.5)
Clarifier

It may have a different formulation in the U.S.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

bobhol

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 12:24:25 pm »
I AM CANADIAN eh. Sound like a beer commercial? So I guess my peterborough Spa -Lite is the formula what-you -said., but what does MPS stand for and what should I buy ( in Canada). bobhol

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 12:25:49 pm »
Spa Lite does contain MSP but it has other stuff as well. It's a blend of MPS, dichlor, a flocculent/clarifier and a "PH buffer".

In essence it's an "all in one" product. I personally believe in the "less is more" approach - control exactly what you put in your water, if you only need to shock than only add shock, if you need a flocculent than add only a flocculent, etc. As for the 15 minutes, that would depend on how much you put in and what the levels are after 15 minutes. 15 minutes seems like a short time for shock to me.
e

poolboy34

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 12:51:47 pm »
MPS = Mono per-sulfate, or it's also known as Peroxy-mono-sulfate, or also oxy-monoper-sulfate.  MPS in a nutshell is just an oxidizer that breaks down organics and oils in the spa very rapidly.  The benfits are that you can use the spa 15 mins after applying it, and there is no odor to it.  The draw backs are that it lowers the Alkalinity of the water over time, and as some have indicated increases the TDS of the water.  1-2 oz of MPS is usually more then sufficient for a shock treatment.

Jason,
Store Manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

bobhol

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 02:36:14 pm »
Thanks poolboy34. I have been having a challenge with low alkalinity and maybe the spa -lite is part of it. Can I buy mps  without additives to use as needed. bobhol

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 02:54:53 pm »
SpaLite will not affect your pH. That is one of the ingredients I listed above. How is your alkalinity?

Are you using chlorine or bromine tabs? These will have a negative affect on pH and TA.

Do you have friends who drink alot of beer and don't leave the tub? Children (12>younger)using the tub?
These types of people will errode your pH too.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

bobhol

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 03:11:17 pm »
I dont use tabs of any sort. we use the tub daily .my wife and I before we go to bed for 30 minutes or so. since we have had the tub ,about a month , my daughter and boyfriend get in as we are thinking of getting out. (He,s here a lot ,lately) I,ve put 4 t,spoons of dichlor in a small container and they apply  it when they close up the tub. It gets more use on wknds as both my daughters friends show up. I,m tying to keep the water perfect  and I,m learning on the fly. bobhol

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 04:07:39 pm »
Any adult who get caught "eroding my spa PH" will get permanently banned!  EWW..........
Brewman

« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 04:08:18 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 04:07:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42