What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pool????  (Read 5344 times)

nicker

Pool????
« on: March 15, 2006, 07:17:04 pm »
We are thinking of adding an above ground pool to our yard to complement out hot tub and to stay cool during our hot summers.

Can anyone recommend a good above ground pool that sells in the London, Ontrario area.  Also are there any forums like this one for pools ?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Pool????
« on: March 15, 2006, 07:17:04 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Pool????
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 09:00:44 am »
Nicker, I have an above ground pool. It is wonderful in that it was relatively inexpensive (whole thing with deck around 5000.00), it warms up fast in the summer and it is very easy to maintain...However...it somehow doesn't "go well" with my beautiful new hot tub. Talk about a contrast...And I haven't found a good way to integrate the two so that they look like they belong together. I am not trying to discourage you, because above ground has benefits, but next to the hot tub...my set up kind of looks like Sanford and Son get a hot tub, if you know what I mean. Maybe if you plan the layout, you can make it look nice. I am going to try painting my decks with gray stain (all 3 of them) because the tub is gray, as is the pool. I don't know if that will tie them together but I am hoping it will help.  good luck, like I said we just love the pool, just now it seems a little mismatched!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 09:24:16 am »
Hi nicker,

I  have an above ground pool and enjoy it quite a bit. It's old and needs a bit of work, and I have looked around and considered buying a new one. For what it's worth here some thoughts:

1) The Steel Aluminium are rated to be better than the resin models being sold.

2) Get a good pump (at least 1 hp or higher).  a good pump and filter will make all the difference in the world.  I have a sand filter and it works well for me.  MY B-I-L  swears by the D.E ones.  

3) Discuss installation and be aware that most companies prices involve "Standard" installation.    Standard means, absolutey no probelm what so ever.  Any other issue will be charged.  Be alert.

4)  Before the pool goes up, take trees down, cut branches etc.    You want the pool in full sun.  Even trimming branches once the pool is up is 100X  difficult and  very exspsive.

5) In central MA I was just recently quoted prices of $4500 -5000 for a quality 24' above ground pool installed.  I don't have the actual pool names available, sorry.  But like a Spa, go with a dealer that is established and will be there to help you out. Check the BBB. Get references. There are a lot of fly by night idoits out there, as well as discount Shoddy dealers (NAMCO)

6) Rectangular pools are not as structuraly sound as an oval or round pool.   Round pools offer the most swmming area per footprint (vs an Oval).

7) Like a spa, a quality pool will be somehting to enjoy and last for years (Mine came with the house, it was at least 7 years old when I got it, and I have had it for 7 more. It needs a new liner, but other than that. it's great).  A  cut rate pool with a poor pump and filtration system will be a pain in the butt and turn into an eysore and an object of detest.  

Please let us know how it goes. I'd love to hear more about what yuou decide.

:)
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 09:28:51 am »
Nicker, I have an above ground pool. It is wonderful in that it was relatively inexpensive (whole thing with deck around 5000.00), it warms up fast in the summer and it is very easy to maintain...However...it somehow doesn't "go well" with my beautiful new hot tub. Talk about a contrast...And I haven't found a good way to integrate the two so that they look like they belong together. I am not trying to discourage you, because above ground has benefits, but next to the hot tub...my set up kind of looks like Sanford and Son get a hot tub, if you know what I mean. Maybe if you plan the layout, you can make it look nice. I am going to try painting my decks with gray stain (all 3 of them) because the tub is gray, as is the pool. I don't know if that will tie them together but I am hoping it will help.  good luck, like I said we just love the pool, just now it seems a little mismatched!

I hear ya Bonnie.  I am also thinking on "intergrating the pool and hot tub into something more visually appealing.
I would love to put in a new pool and build a large deck around the whole pool and have the hot tub installed in the deck as well.   Right now  I have the pool butted up against some bi level decks and the hot tub off to another side by a side door to the house.  It's a convent and practical set up, but I doubt you'll see my set up featured in  "Home and Gardens".   :P

Maybe in a few years... I got other "honey-do" stuff on the list.  8)

here's a pic of my hot tub install but shows a nice shot of the pool.   I would love to really upgrade that deck and have it wrap around the pool and over to where the tub is being placed (right hand side). I wonder what a deck like that would cost?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 09:34:42 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 09:37:51 am »
You have hit the nail on the head. Our set up is perfect as far as how we use the pool and tub, it just isn't visually appealing. I think we need to brainstorm, Drew. there has to be a way to fuse the two and make them look like they belong together. I was kind of hoping that when we put the pergola up, it will distingush the spa area. I don't know if that is good or bad though?? :(

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 09:47:56 am »
Something like this,  and have the tub sunk into the deck.

07 Caldera Geneva

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 03:19:47 pm »
Something like this,  and have the tub sunk into the deck.

I've got a small Splash soft sided rectangular pool set into my deck that has the same effect as above.  My spa is about six feet away and three steps down on a different deck level.  It has worked fabulously.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 08:03:37 pm »
Can you post a picture for us Tony?

Pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 11:03:41 am »
http://www.naborhoodpool.com

They ve been around since 1980  they are part of the SIMA group  so they have a wide availability of above ground pools  and related products  you definitely should take a look at the Zodiac Dynasty pool or any type of resin pool they will last longer than the powder coated metal pools

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 11:18:08 am »

nicker

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 03:16:10 pm »
well we think we have found a pool, we only wanted a small one 15' or 12'.  Well the pioneer pool store I was at has a floor model 12' looks allot bigger then 12'.   We are limited as we have a smaller yard and have a huge 2 tier deck.   The floor model they have is set up and filled up its a 2005 model but they are giving us a very good price.  Which includes solar cover, winter cover 1hp pump, auto clorinator, skimmer,  auto cleaner all the hoses and some other stuff too.  

Are the manul vacumns better then the auto ones.  We want steps and think if we went with a manual vacum we could get the steps cheaper.

For those with pools and tubs can you post pictures, Id really like some set up ideas.  And ways to make the pool look nice in the yard.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 04:08:39 pm »
I have an AG pool and use an automatic cleaner. It cleans about 85% of the pool and it does get stuck under the steps sometimes.

I think it does a decent job and it eliminates the time I need to actually vacuum. Mine is the EZ Vac which is like the Kreepy Krawley and it's a suction side cleaner.

Make sure that your getting either a DE filter (the best type IMO) or a sand filter. They really do keep the pool cleaner than a cartridge filter.

I would submit a picture but my my pool is in a corner of my yard and not attached to the deck nor has a deck around it. I have a friend who has a multi tiered deck and on one side of the lower deck is the pool and the other is the tub.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 07:03:55 pm »
A local spa dealer warned me not to sink the hot tub down into a deck.  She said it created huge problems when it came to servicing the hot tub.  She even stated that they routinely refuse to accept such a job.

I guess the pool doesn't really need to be serviced, except for maybe the pumps and such (which I'd definitely put these in a place that could be easily accessed.  A hot tub may be a different story because it is a bit more complex.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 11:01:59 pm »
Time to find another dealer.  Spas are routinely sunk or more often partially sunk in a deck.  You must build in access to all sides for service.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 11:19:49 pm by tony »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 12:32:42 am »
As long as you can get to the motors, there should be no problems

This is my tub, the botton is about 13" below the deck's surface. Any competent tech can work on the tub. I originally was going to put a trap door onto the deck to get to the motors but as I was building the deck I relized that it not too hard to service it. As tony said, many people put the deck up to the lip of the spa.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 12:35:00 am by Vinny »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 12:32:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42