What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: startup chemicals  (Read 4884 times)

lizzie

startup chemicals
« on: November 01, 2004, 10:22:59 am »
 ;)bought the hotsprings prodigy, but need help deciding on the startup chemical. have well water and a son with sensitive skin. must let the dealer know in the next dew days :)

thanks lizzie

Hot Tub Forum

startup chemicals
« on: November 01, 2004, 10:22:59 am »

salesdvl

Re: startup chemicals
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 10:57:49 am »
My kids have sensitive skin also.  I use the silver purifier in the filter ( Hotspring has a private label, Freshwater, program). This allows you to use less harsh chemicals.  I use a tsp of Di-chlor granular chlorine everytime we get out ( or 2-3 x's / wk ) and once a week I use a non chlorine shock. We carry a brand called "Proteam" but any MPS shock should be fine.

Measure once, cut twice.

steve771

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 12:26:40 pm »
Something else you might consider.  My dealer recommended getting a RV type inline filter (goes on the end of a hose) at Walmart (eighteen bucks) to fill the tub.  He said I would be able to avoid the Metalgone (I think that's the name) additive.  Heck, if they hook RV drinking water supplies to this thing, it should be good for filling a tub, right?  I have "city" water, not well water though, so I don't know if that would make a diff.  Seemed to work well for me, and I wanted to start with the "best" water I could to avoid excessive chemicals.  One thing if you do go this way... there is a charcoal filter in this thing, MAKE SURE you run the water thru it for several seconds before putting it in the tub.  You get a surge of charcoal powder coming out at first.

salesdvl, I'm assuming the MPS shock works well with the chlorine you add (why else would you be using it, right?).  Right now, I use dichlor for both after use (the 1 tsp. you do), and shocking (5-6 times normal).  Is there a downside to this routine, other than waiting a day for the dichor to drop down?  Is dichlor vs. MPS shocking very similar in effectiveness?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 12:31:48 pm by steve771 »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 12:48:40 pm »
I'm assuming the MPS shock works well with....chlorine....Right now, I use dichlor for both after use....and shocking (5-6 times normal).  Is there a downside to this routine, other than waiting a day for the dichor to drop down?  Is dichlor vs. MPS shocking very similar in effectiveness?

steve,
Here are some thoughts as I see them:

Advantage of using dichlor as shock:
--super chlorination
Advantage of using MPS as shock:
--wait time after shock is much less than dichlor
Disadvantages of using dichlor as a shock:
--wait time to get chlorine levels down below 5 ppm
--contributes to CYA (cyanuric acid)
Disadvantages of using MPS as shock:
--does not provide super chlorination
--contributes to TDS (total disolved solids)
Effectiveness of one over the other?
--No difference

I strictly used dichlor until I needed a quick shock because weather conditions didn't allow me to shock normally.  I bought MPS and now use either.

Hope this helps.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

salesdvl

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 12:55:15 pm »
Is it me or does Windsurf seem destined for politics.

The advantage of A is that it comes before B.

The disadvantage of A is that comes before B.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 12:55:47 pm by salesdvl »
Measure once, cut twice.

windsurfdog

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 01:15:54 pm »
Is it me or does Windsurf seem destined for politics.

The advantage of A is that it comes before B.

The disadvantage of A is that comes before B.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

YIKES!!!!
ANYTHING.....ANYTHING BUT POLITICS!!!!(as the dawg starts gnawing off his leg.........)
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

NightOne

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 06:15:55 pm »
My kids have sensitive skin also.  I use the silver purifier in the filter ( Hotspring has a private label, Freshwater, program). This allows you to use less harsh chemicals.  I use a tsp of Di-chlor granular chlorine everytime we get out ( or 2-3 x's / wk ) and once a week I use a non chlorine shock. We carry a brand called "Proteam" but any MPS shock should be fine.

Could you tell me more about "Proteam".

Do any of the Hot Spring dealers actually sell Freshwater chemicals (which I hear is rebranded Lesiure Time)?

steve771

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 01:33:51 am »
thanks wsd, I think I'll stay with the chlorine as no one is experiencing any reactions and I like the idea of the weekly super chlorination (just have to time it right).  However, I don't fully understand the issue with cyanuric acid levels?  ???  Maybe I should alternate?  Would that help those levels and how can I know what to do about it (if there is anything to do?).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 01:36:36 am by steve771 »

salesdvl

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 09:20:50 am »
Proteam is a brand of chemicals that was started by the Girven brothers in Florida.  They have since sold to a company in Michigan called Haviland.  

They make a full line of pool & spa chemicals.  Many are the same as other brands but they have one called Gentle Spa which is a very soft fragrance/ skin moisturizer.  

We do not carry any Freshwater chemicals except the silver purifier.  We carry Proteam, a couple of other items and then we have our private label most of our stuff.
Measure once, cut twice.

windsurfdog

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 09:23:19 am »
steve,
The following is my understanding--others feel free to comment/correct.
Cyanuric acid (CYA) is part of dichlor.  As dichlor is added to a tub, cyanuric acid levels are elevated though very slightly.  The only way to reduce CYA is with the addition of new water whether by a wholesale water change or a partial change.  These CYA levels should not get to an alarming level if 4-6 month (at most) water changes are normally performed which solves TDS problems as well.  I would say one could shock exclusively with dichlor, change their water every 4-6 months and have no problems.  Maybe an alternation between the two isn't such a bad thing........
Once again.....all comments/corrections welcomed.....
8)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 11:53:29 am »
Dichlor is 57% CYA by weight.  Optimal CYA levels for an outdoor pool is 20-50 ppm...for an indoor pool..zero.  CYA protects chlorine from the UV rays of the sun..they are like little umbrellas shading the very fair skinned chlorine, allowing the chlorine to do it's job.  When there are too many umbrellas, the chlorine gets surrounded and cannot work as well.  High levels of CYA make it longer for chlorine to kill micro organisms.  Most health departments set a maximum level of 80 ppm CYA in public pools/spas.

Windsurfdog is correct in that CYA stays with the water.  It does not evaporate out.  The only way it dillutes is by splash out or full or partial water change.  My experience has been that I can stay under the 100 ppm level in four months if I do not shock with dichlor.  When I do shock exclusively with dichlor on a weekly basis, I will get to 100 within two months.

Even at high CYA levels, your chlorine does work.  It just takes a higher free chlorine level to get the same kill rate.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 11:53:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42