What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gazebo?  (Read 5220 times)

RayF-1

Gazebo?
« on: October 23, 2004, 09:31:20 am »
Happy tub owner now for six months -- advice and info found here guided my purchase.

Now entering fall and am considering putting gazebo surrounding/over my tub.  Want to have clear ceiling for "star gazing."  Gazebo will be four-season unit, fixed to concrete patio.

Have done (180 day) forum search to read previous postings.

What's the thoughts of forum members?  Pros/cons?  Advice?

RAY

Hot Tub Forum

Gazebo?
« on: October 23, 2004, 09:31:20 am »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Gazebo?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 10:13:44 am »
Are you talking about a roof or full enclosure or some variant? Assuming you are considering a full enclosure, here is my two cents:
Gazebo Pros:
Privacy
Wind/Rain/Snow Shelter
Warmer area to towel off in the winter
Depending on size, entertainment centre possibilities (bar, stereo, tv etx)
In Rural areas can provide shelter from flying pests
Cons:
Obstructed view of the sky
Can be quite hot in the summer
Maintenance (staining etc)

HotTubMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 11:54:31 am »
Many of the posts I've read from the more experienced people here seem to caution about wooden gazebos at least. Even my salesman discouraged me from purchasing one unless I fully embraced the amount of maintenance involved to keep it looking nice and protect it from falling apart. And many of their showroom tubs were shown with gazebos that were for sale. Having a clear view of the sky is important to me as well. They do look nice though, and all of the extras like bars, stools, and such can enhance even further.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 12:00:05 pm by Warkovision »

NightOne

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 03:19:11 pm »
I've been doing some research on Gazebos and one of the things I noticed was that the prices are insane!

I was thinking that a great idea would be to have some sort of "convertible" gazebo. I was thinking along the lines of:

1. A roof that could come off - maybe in 2 pieces

2. Walls that "fold" down or detach so as to only create privacy panels - or walls that could come off completely

3- multiple configurations - full gazebo in winter - roof only in the fall - frame only in the summer

Seems like you would have to build it yourself to have something like this as I have not seen any (or plans).

Just some ideas

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 05:46:57 pm »
I've been doing some research on Gazebos and one of the things I noticed was that the prices are insane!

I was thinking that a great idea would be to have some sort of "convertible" gazebo. I was thinking along the lines of:

1. A roof that could come off - maybe in 2 pieces

2. Walls that "fold" down or detach so as to only create privacy panels - or walls that could come off completely

3- multiple configurations - full gazebo in winter - roof only in the fall - frame only in the summer

Seems like you would have to build it yourself to have something like this as I have not seen any (or plans).

Just some ideas

I have always maintained that the ultimate gazebo would have a retractable roof. Just like the Blue Jays use.

Homeworks Financing Representative

rodger

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 10:12:35 pm »
Octagonal gazebos are expensive due to the labor of building something with a lot of 22-1/2 degree miters. An appraiser told me that you could never recover the cost of such a gazebo when selling the property.

Unroofed, retracting roofs and variants are a nice idea. You have to decide what's important to you.

I too considered a gazebo, but opted for a cabana. I'm still in the planning stages and haven't purchased a spa yet. I live in a rural, mosquito infested area in N. MN. Putting the spa in the open isn't an option. We value the privacy, shelter from winter and bug free environment of an enclosed spa. See http://www.cabanavillage.com for ideas. I'm planning on the very cool dutch hip roof structure. I will design and build vs. buy their kit.

havanaclub

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 07:59:51 am »
Are you talking about a roof or full enclosure or other variant(this)? Assuming you are considering a full enclosure, here is my two cents:
Gazebo Pros:   
Privacy
Wind/Rain/Snow Shelter
Warmer area to towel off in the winter
Depending on size, entertainment centre possibilities (bar, stereo, tv etx)
In Rural areas can provide shelter from flying pests
Cons:
Obstructed view of the sky
Can be quite hot in the summer
Maintenance (staining etc)

HotTubMan
Sorry for the up, thinking about placing a gazebo on my patio. It's golden words and a perfect summary of answers to my questions. Costs more than $100 not 2 cents :D
All the best
Frank

cranbiz

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 10:36:29 am »
You could use corrugated clear roofing panels. They still don't give a totally clear view but what you can get from them might be good enough. Loom at them in the store first to see if you can live with the view. Lowes, Home Depot, etc. stocks them.

You also will need to consider a way to keep them clean and undamaged.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 10:36:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42