What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Will these pumps work?  (Read 918 times)

Mattyrayb

Will these pumps work?
« on: May 31, 2023, 08:08:20 am »
Hi Everyone, I’m new to the Tub world and have been thrown right into the muck. I picked up a used/old tub and one pump is acting up. I’ve already replaced impeller, wet end seals, plugs, and cleaned the shaft but now it’s making a tapping sound. I’m not sure if it’s the wear ring rattling in the housing or what (it previously fused to the faceplate and I had to separate and sand). (Does a wear ring even rattle or would it be something else?) Anyway I figured getting a new/used pump would be worth it since these are so old.

There are lots of searches asking if higher HP motors are fine but what about lower? My pump says 3HP but one that I have access to is 2HP. Will this be ok?

BTW, I have a 2009 Saratoga Grand. Yes, old.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 08:19:39 am by Mattyrayb »

Hot Tub Forum

Will these pumps work?
« on: May 31, 2023, 08:08:20 am »

CanadianSpaTech

Re: Will these pumps work?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 02:08:03 pm »
Wear ring could make noise if very worn and has a lot of extra play. Could also be something has made it's way into the face of the impeller. Yes the pump shown will work if wet end is the same. Check the face of the pump first. Have pulled everything from rocks to G-strings out from there.

Mattyrayb

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 01:11:49 pm »

Hopefully this video link works. I took the pump apart and didn’t see anything inside. One thing I did notice are:
1. The impeller appears to have a very slight wobble, like the shaft is slightly crooked
2. The metal plate the shaft goes through that attaches to the motor house has a hairline crack.
Maybe 1 is a result of the other but it looks like I need a new pump even though it turns.
Thoughts?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KbwtVZ4zXcdYzVHh9

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 09:34:37 am »
Pumps are a common problem and an easy fix. Yes a smaller HP will work as long as it fits and is the same voltage but will have a little less hydrotherapy.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 09:34:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42