What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Test Kits  (Read 3336 times)

nicker

Test Kits
« on: October 15, 2004, 08:20:08 am »
Well I thought I was doing everything just right but!!!

Well I have been noticeing a smell from my water (vinigar like smell).  So I spoke to my dealer and brought in a water sample.  Well my PH was a little low, Alk was fine, Water a little soft and I needed to shock.  My dealer says the smell is from unused Bromine (Dichlor).  I don't think I have been using enought when I shock to kill off all the unused Dichlor.  So I am using this other shock stuff now and hopfully that will help.  But is there any test kits out there that can test the hardness in water?  

Also what is everyones tub routine?  Here is mine.

-add 2 tbs of Dichlor after each use (but only at the end of a day if useing tub more then once that day)
-shock with spa shock once a week
-rinse filters once a week
-add "prevent" once a week (water cleaning solution etc).
-once a month switch filters with clean ones and clean other ones in solution.
-test every few days.

Is this ok?  - I also leave the tub running for about 10 minute after adding dichlor and with the cover only proped open during the cold season and I run for 1/2 hour when I shock.

Hot Tub Forum

Test Kits
« on: October 15, 2004, 08:20:08 am »

nicker

Re: Test Kits- forgot to say my tub size
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 08:22:03 am »
tun size is about 275 Gallons or about 1100 litres.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Test Kits
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 10:05:21 am »
Odor from your water many times is organic which means you need to shock.  Your routine sounds good although you may be using too much dichlor after use.  Two tbls in a 275 gallon spa must be getting you a very high free chlorine level after you add.  I add about one tsp per person after use in 485 gallons, but I also use a nature2 cartridge and ozone.  You should aim for +3 ppm free chlorine after you add without Nature2.  Balance water weekly.

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 11:42:44 am »
I use the Taylor Test kit (around $50) which has five tests. Chlorine, pH, TA, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid. There have some that bought a similar kit at Walmart for $15. Guardex makes one too. The strips are good, I think, for a "fast and loose" analysis if your looking for extremes. I agree with Tony that you might be over chlorinating, given the size of your tub- especially if you have an ozone/silver ion setup.

ÊBut is there any test kits out there that can test the hardness in water? Ê

Also what is everyones tub routine? ÊHere is mine.

-add 2 tbs of Dichlor after each use (but only at the end of a day if useing tub more then once that day)
-shock with spa shock once a week
-rinse filters once a week
-add "prevent" once a week (water cleaning solution etc).
-once a month switch filters with clean ones and clean other ones in solution.
-test every few days.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 01:06:36 pm »
 My dealer says the smell is from unused Bromine (Dichlor).

Uuuhhhhh...Dichlor is chlorine.  Bromine is a seperate entity!  Which are you using?
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

autoplay

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 01:47:33 pm »
Lori.....maybe he's using Di-chlor as his shock?

I use Di-chlor,nature2,and shock my tub bout every 10-14 days. (think the shock chemical is monosodium sulfate,have to look at bottle to be sure) 2 teaspoons of Di-chlor after I use it,and I don't bother checking chlorine levels anymore.

Taylor Test kit is the 1 I use,cost 45-50 bucks....and it allows you to test all faucets of the water pertaining to spa water conditions. The paper test strips vary too much for my liking.

Nicker,get rid of Brohmine(if thats your sanitizer) and switch to Di-chlor :)

nicker

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 02:00:18 pm »
I use Dichlor after each use and just recently started to use the Spa Shock.   Sorry  I don't think I wrote that in there right.  No bromine.  

My dealer said it may take a little bit to get rid of the smell.  But he said it was proably do to me not shocking it with enough Dichlor (that was what I was using to shock but now I am using the spa shock).

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 05:53:21 pm »
Ok, was just a little confused!

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 05:53:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42