What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Spas Recalls Jacuzzi and Sundance Spas Brand Hot Tubs Due to Injury and  (Read 3346 times)

CanadianSpaTech

Sundance Spas Recalls Jacuzzi and Sundance Spas Brand Hot Tubs Due to Injury and Thermal Burn Hazards.

MFG from July 2021 through December 2022

https://www.jacuzzi.com/en-ca/recall.html

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Sundance-Spas-Recalls-Jacuzzi-and-Sundance-Spas-Brand-Hot-Tubs-Due-to-Injury-and-Thermal-Burn-Hazards

Recall Details
Description:
This recall involves JacuzziJ-200, J-300, J-400 and J-500 collection hot tubs and Sundance Spas 680, 780, 880 and 980 Series spas. The model number and serial number are engraved into a silver plate in the equipment bay of the hot tub. The serial number can be entered into the recall links, www.sundancespas.com/en-us/recall.html or www.jacuzzi.com/en-us/recall.html, to identify hot tubs with the recalled sensor.

Remedy:
Consumers should use an accurate external thermometer to confirm the water temperature to be no higher than 104 degrees prior to entering the hot tub to prevent injuries and burns. Consumers should not enter the recalled hot tubs if the external thermometer temperature reads higher than 104 degrees. Contact a local authorized Jacuzzi dealer at www.jacuzzi.com/en-us/find-a-dealer/ for Jacuzzi brands and a Sundance Spas dealer at www.sundancespas.com/en-us/find-a-dealer/ for Sundance Spas brands, to schedule a free repair. Sundance Spas and Jacuzzi Hot Tub are contacting all known purchasers directly.

Incidents/Injuries:
Sundance Spas has received 185 reports of inaccurate temperature readings. No injuries have been reported.

Sold At:
Authorized Sundance Spas or Jacuzzi Hot Tubs dealers nationwide from July 2021 through December 2022 for between $6,500 and $30,000.
Importer(s):
Sundance Spas Inc., (which also does business as Jacuzzi Hot Tubs), of Chino, Calif.

Manufactured In:
Mexico

Hot Tub Forum

BullFrogSpasMN

so many QC issues popped up in tons of various industries during Covid, I have a couple of buddies who are mechanics who have told me basically don't buy ANYTHING that was built/shipped during the Covid years.  Thankfully there are no reported injuries here

Ripper238

Wow. Looks like they will come out and repair as apposed to a full recall and return.

Wonder how hot they got? Don't they use Balboa?

BullFrogSpasMN

Wow. Looks like they will come out and repair as apposed to a full recall and return.

It appears to be just a faulty temp sensor so I'm sure Jacuzzi will just send out new sensors + pay a flat fee to the dealer for each spa they have to replace them on.

Ripper238

It appears to be just a faulty temp sensor so I'm sure Jacuzzi will just send out new sensors + pay a flat fee to the dealer for each spa they have to replace them on.

That's an easy fix.

CanadianSpaTech

Factory going to pay the travel time to and from each job? Can't charge the customer. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Would suck to be a Jacuzzi dealer/tech.

BullFrogSpasMN

Factory going to pay the travel time to and from each job? Can't charge the customer. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Would suck to be a Jacuzzi dealer/tech.

I'm just trying to remember what Hot Springs/Watkins did back in the early 2000's when they had a massive heater recall, it was so many years ago but I believe they just shipped the heaters to the local dealers and then paid a flat fee for each one replaced which means the dealer(s) will get shafted cause if you have a customer lets say 50-60 miles from your store and your paying a tech $25 an hour driving a loaded out service van you know there gonna lose money on those situations. I love when the Costco/internet crap brands randomly call my store "We have opportunity for you to service a few of our spas locally, we'll pay you $75 per trip + parts, ohh and the customer is 37 miles from your store" usually they get the hint when I bust out laughing

CanadianSpaTech

I'm just trying to remember what Hot Springs/Watkins did back in the early 2000's when they had a massive heater recall, it was so many years ago but I believe they just shipped the heaters to the local dealers and then paid a flat fee for each one replaced which means the dealer(s) will get shafted cause if you have a customer lets say 50-60 miles from your store and your paying a tech $25 an hour driving a loaded out service van you know there gonna lose money on those situations. I love when the Costco/internet crap brands randomly call my store "We have opportunity for you to service a few of our spas locally, we'll pay you $75 per trip + parts, ohh and the customer is 37 miles from your store" usually they get the hint when I bust out laughing
[/color]

Even if you charge an outrageous "trip" fee the job will usually take a second trip if brand specific parts are needed cutting out any profit. No Thanks

This is just another reason to but local from a reputable dealer... and why dealers pay their techs peanuts

Ripper238

Service for hot tubs must be a huge loss for company's if the manufacturers are paying so little for warrantied service. $75 barely covers the gas and let alone time and insurance...   

BullFrogSpasMN

Service for hot tubs must be a huge loss for company's if the manufacturers are paying so little for warrantied service. $75 barely covers the gas and let alone time and insurance...   

That's why 99% of companies now charge a 'trip fee' for warranty service work...manufacturer covers the time + parts onsite but companies collect the trip fee to help offset costs of travel time/gas/etc...I've seen them range from $75-$150 from most companies but ya generally speaking nobody is making profit off warranty work that's for sure, simply covering their costs.

CanadianSpaTech

That's why 99% of companies now charge a 'trip fee' for warranty service work...manufacturer covers the time + parts onsite but companies collect the trip fee to help offset costs of travel time/gas/etc...I've seen them range from $75-$150 from most companies but ya generally speaking nobody is making profit off warranty work that's for sure, simply covering their costs.

And why most warranty durations have been reduced and are pro rated so by the second/third year the customer is paying 50% of parts and labour. Most sales personnel will glaze over warranties unless pressed and a surprising number of buyers don't ask or just assume.

Sam

Yet so many customers get upset by the "trip charge".  It's like a daily occurrence.  I get it though, you spend $15k for a high-end product and get a charge for a warranty call.  I understand why customers get frustrated.  I just wish they would understand that they are going to pay for it one way or another.  If there was no trip charge, the dealer would have to charge more money for the spa.  It's expensive to have a stocked truck, well trained tech, gas, insurance, tools, etc.  If a business is losing money, they won't be a business for too long.

BullFrogSpasMN

Yet so many customers get upset by the "trip charge".  It's like a daily occurrence.  I get it though, you spend $15k for a high-end product and get a charge for a warranty call.  I understand why customers get frustrated.  I just wish they would understand that they are going to pay for it one way or another.  If there was no trip charge, the dealer would have to charge more money for the spa.  It's expensive to have a stocked truck, well trained tech, gas, insurance, tools, etc.  If a business is losing money, they won't be a business for too long.

It is what it is, in 2023 nobody is coming to your house to provide any type of service for free....'free' is something you are being charged for by the business except it's just not listed on the invoice, like you said it's built into the price, nothing new here really.

CanadianSpaTech

"Why are you charging me $300 you were only here for 1/2 an hour"... I'm not charging you for the 1/2 hour. I'm charging you for the 25 years it took me to learn how to do it in a 1/2 hour.

The Wizard of Spas

To take a different approach from a different point of view, at the risk of taking the topic off-track  but to respond to various comments about spa manufacturers...

Manufacturers of parts offer manufacturers of spas X years warranty on a part. A quality spa manufacturer will add extra years to that warranty at their own dime, whereas lesser spa manufacturers will just pass along the parts manufacturers warranty w/o adding anything extra. Either way, they offer a warranty to the dealer. Dealer the offers said warranty to customer. Dealer gets to pick service radius stipulations (do not forget, dealers choose how far your own radius is, if there is a trip charge, if you want to add a fuel surcharge, etc, so you should be prepared for these costs), or if they even want to offer a labor warranty.

Look up any warranty out there - most do not have a labor warranty listed anymore online. There is a reason for that. In most cases he dealer gets to resolve what they want to charge for a labor warranty to the customer and typically are reimbursed by the spa manufacturer with some monetary allotment per issue.

The spa manufacturer rarely gets more than a year in labor from the spa parts supplier, if at all, and pays out of pocket for labor warranties past one year, and in many cases, anything over 3 years on parts on a warranty is offered by the spa manufacturer not the parts manufacturer - another area they are paying out of pocket.

We all have to give and get - customers, dealers, manufacturers. To stand behind your product means sometimes you have to come out of pocket. Not saying parts manufacturers or spa manufacturers are not without fault, but they too have to eat costs that are not seen by dealers or customers. Happens more often then you would think.

Just my two cents. Sorry if this is not exactly on topic or relevant.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42