What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hydropool 770 platinum Vs BeachComber 750 SBL vs BullFrog A8L Platinum  (Read 2222 times)

selghoul

Help Everyone... which of these three hot tubs we should be choosing?

1. Hydropool is the best in terms of pricing so far. But Google reviews doesn't seem to be very good for after sale service.
2. Beachcomber is spacious in my opinion the most in the three. I have read online that with leakage it would be so hard or impossible to fix because all body is insulated and no access to the inside except of the motor under the steps/
3. I like the jets in this one but I have heard some concerns of bacteria growing behind the seat and cushions.. this is the only US brand so not sure how reliable the maintenance, service and parts purchase would be!

Please help me choose, I am located in Canada, Ontario

Hot Tub Forum

CanadianSpaTech

Re: Hydropool 770 platinum Vs BeachComber 750 SBL vs BullFrog A8L Platinum
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 07:25:35 am »
Where in Ontario? I am Milton area. You are correct about Beachcomber being difficult to fix post warranty. A Beachcomber leak repair inside the cabinet starts at hundreds of dollars as the spa has to be stood up and have the bottom removed. Then you can be quoted for the repair after that. Then the spa has to be put back down after the repair has been made. Usually a 2-3 man job each time.  Hydropool is a decent brand that was recently bought up by the Jacuzzi money fund. If you watch their "how it's made" videos you will see how they do their multi layered barrier insulation and it can also be difficult to service. You have to cut out windows in the foam to get a look at where a potential leak might be. Don't get caught up in the "Self Cleaning" hype. If the pan below the floor every has issue it can be a nightmare. Not sure about newer models but a common complaint has always been about the ice chest drain and the drain around the pressurized filter housing "Sucking" noise for draining away the standing water. As for Bullfrog I can't comment much as I have never sat in one and not sure how comfortable the packs are but the ones I have worked on I found them to be proprietary with their packs and topsides and parts have to be purchased through them and that can get expensive post Warranty as with most "Brand" name spas. I prefer a spa with off the shelf parts if available in your area. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 07:52:52 am »
Beachcomber has a long standing reputation of NOT leaking in the foam.
Retired

selghoul

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 09:38:13 am »
Where in Ontario? I am Milton area. You are correct about Beachcomber being difficult to fix post warranty. A Beachcomber leak repair inside the cabinet starts at hundreds of dollars as the spa has to be stood up and have the bottom removed. Then you can be quoted for the repair after that. Then the spa has to be put back down after the repair has been made. Usually a 2-3 man job each time.  Hydropool is a decent brand that was recently bought up by the Jacuzzi money fund. If you watch their "how it's made" videos you will see how they do their multi layered barrier insulation and it can also be difficult to service. You have to cut out windows in the foam to get a look at where a potential leak might be. Don't get caught up in the "Self Cleaning" hype. If the pan below the floor every has issue it can be a nightmare. Not sure about newer models but a common complaint has always been about the ice chest drain and the drain around the pressurized filter housing "Sucking" noise for draining away the standing water. As for Bullfrog I can't comment much as I have never sat in one and not sure how comfortable the packs are but the ones I have worked on I found them to be proprietary with their packs and topsides and parts have to be purchased through them and that can get expensive post Warranty as with most "Brand" name spas. I prefer a spa with off the shelf parts if available in your area.

I am in Oakville area... So which hot tub would you recommend then? we are leaning towards Hydropool 720 instead of 770 as we float in the lounge seat so we are thinking 720 instead. Would that be a good option ?

selghoul

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 09:39:30 am »

Yeah I have heard that but I am scared to be one of the unlucky people and it leaks then we have to pay a lot of $$$$ to fix it then :(.. this is my main worry from Beachcomber.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 02:52:34 pm »

Yeah I have heard that but I am scared to be one of the unlucky people and it leaks then we have to pay a lot of $$$$ to fix it then :(.. this is my main worry from Beachcomber.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but any in-foam leak in a fully foamed spa out of warranty is going to be expensive to repair, doesn't matter what brand name is on the cabinet.  People who build/manufacturer hot tubs for a living don't fix spas for a living so none of them (fully foamed) are a pleasure to work on really and also expensive because of the amount of hours involved + pickup/drop off/etc.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 03:53:13 pm »

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but any in-foam leak in a fully foamed spa out of warranty is going to be expensive to repair, doesn't matter what brand name is on the cabinet.  People who build/manufacturer hot tubs for a living don't fix spas for a living so none of them (fully foamed) are a pleasure to work on really and also expensive because of the amount of hours involved + pickup/drop off/etc.

It does take longer with FF vs perimeter to repair, but a good tech with a hot foam knife can make it easy and it can be done in the field, (2 guys can tip a tub up if you don't have a lifter, which makes it a 1 man job.) Most times you can go through the side. I've done many. My biggest complaint was the sides of Beach and a few others (not all) were difficult to remove, or I should say difficult to re-install after. Their electronics were solid, they didn't leak (not saying I didn't repair any beach but I did more HS) The shell molds were fabulous and they were efficient and quiet. With decent hydrotherapy.

But FF by far insulates better than perimeter (less expensive to operate), holds plumbing more secure (reducing leaks), allows PC boards and motors to run cooler (increasing longevity) And makes them quieter.

Not sure I would use the difference as a factor in my decision, just sayin....

They are popular in northern climates because of their efficiency. BFSM knows this.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 03:58:33 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 04:20:12 pm »
With the pumps and pack outside the spa under the step when there is an issue and the spa is not running here in Canada they will freeze way quicker than a spa with the equipment inside the cabinet and critters love that nice warm and safe area under the step. If they made removeable panels they would rate higher in my book. Its 30 year old tech. JMO

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 04:39:02 pm »
PM sent

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 07:08:09 am »
With the pumps and pack outside the spa under the step when there is an issue and the spa is not running here in Canada they will freeze way quicker than a spa with the equipment inside the cabinet and critters love that nice warm and safe area under the step. If they made removeable panels they would rate higher in my book. Its 30 year old tech. JMO

How much quicker will it freeze? Either type will freeze and they both will need immediate repair in sub zero temps or a warm tent/anti freeze measures to prevent that.
Retired

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 08:51:54 am »
A space heater can be placed under the step to keep pumps and pack thawed but risk the rest of the spa if you have to wait for parts or it's just to dam cold to work for a month of -20. A spa with removeable panels I can run a space heater on low for a month at -20. Stopped draining and Winterizing spas a few years ago. To much risk/liability for me... hidden one way check valves, hanging manifolds, water features, shitty covers letting water back in on warm days, extreme cold "You Winterized it you fix it"... no thanks. JMO

Sam

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 02:21:27 pm »
Fyi, the thing about bacteria behind the packs in a Bullfrog is untrue and not a concern.

selghoul

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 05:46:45 pm »
PM sent

I have replied to your PM can you check it please?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 06:07:21 am »
A space heater can be placed under the step to keep pumps and pack thawed but risk the rest of the spa if you have to wait for parts or it's just to dam cold to work for a month of -20. A spa with removeable panels I can run a space heater on low for a month at -20. Stopped draining and Winterizing spas a few years ago. To much risk/liability for me... hidden one way check valves, hanging manifolds, water features, shitty covers letting water back in on warm days, extreme cold "You Winterized it you fix it"... no thanks. JMO

The pack can be removed and brought inside, then the spa can be drained and winterized to prevent freeze.

I agree, I also don't winterize or repair anymore.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 06:07:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42