What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cost of heating a hot tub  (Read 1923 times)

peteraf

Cost of heating a hot tub
« on: October 06, 2022, 12:32:35 pm »
Hi,

After several years using a lay-z-spa (inflatable) I’m planning to buy a ‘proper’ Hot tub. Something like this, as a random example - https://www.premierhottubs.co.uk/hot-tubs/antigua-hot-tub/e9-std

If a few questions, mostly around running costs, specifically heating. I fully understand it depends on factors like time of year, usage, insulation, etc but any ball park figures would really help me. I was hoping some people might be able to share insights.
(I’m in the UK if that matters. Temperature is in Centigrade not Fahrenheit, but I can convert)

General Cost
  • How much do you spend on electricity for heating, maintaining the heat & circulation? (over, say, a year)
    How much did/does you electricity cost in KWh (My current rate is 9.81p per Kilowatt hour – As of October 2022)
    How big is your hot tub (Litres, seats?)
    How do you use it? (e.g. How many time a week, for how long)
    What temperature do you keep it at when it not in use, but ready to be used imminently (e.g. 30 degree C)
    How quickly do you go from your ‘not in use temperature to your ‘let’s jump in’ temperature (What HP heater do you have?)

Cost to maintain a given temperature, when not is use
  • I’m trying to get a feel for how much it costs to have the temperature maintained when the hot tub is not in use. Assuming the top is on, how much power/cost is needed to purely keep it at, say, 30 degrees C, for 24 hours.
    How much does the temperature drop over 24 hours, is it’s not heated.

Loungers
  • Lastly, what are people’s thoughts on loungers? Are they a much better experience that the normal seats? IS the extra space taken up worth it.

Thanks for any input

Pete

Hot Tub Forum

Cost of heating a hot tub
« on: October 06, 2022, 12:32:35 pm »

jonat

Re: Cost of heating a hot tub
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 09:52:44 am »
Since I don't have a separate meter for my tub, I don't have precise figures. When I bought my tub (Hot Spring Jetsetter LX, 210 gallon) last winter, I was told to expect about $50/month to keep it going. The reality was that I barely noticed any difference in my electric bill, maybe $10/month. The Jetsetter LX is very well insulated and seems to keep hot without needing a lot of power for reheating - I do note that when I turn it down (from 96 to 80) when I am going to be away for a few weeks, it takes several days to get down to the new temp.

Of course, a lot depends on whether you have an insulating cover, how often you use it, and the ambient temperature. (Mine is on a screened porch - I started using it in February when the air temp tended to be under 20F.)

cranbiz

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 11:03:17 am »
320Gal Artesian Island Nevis

Tub gets used several times a week for 20-30 minutes.
Roughly runs $30-$30 a month to keep it at 102F all the time. Tub is on a covered and glass door enclosed porch.

Ours has a lounger at the expense of 2 dedicated seats, which is a net loss of one seat over the similar non lounger equipped tub (Island Antigua). We really enjoy the lounge and some of the family stays put in it and a couple of others need the weighted belt. It's really body type that determines what one needs to so to stay comfortably in a lounge chair.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 06:58:58 am »
Unless your tub is hooked to a kilowatt monitor everything is speculation.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 06:58:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42