What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Waterlogged cover.  (Read 1908 times)

bud16415

Waterlogged cover.
« on: September 02, 2022, 12:24:48 pm »
The first section / half of my cover had got so heavy it almost took two of us to open. I talked to the place I got it from and they said all I can do is get a new cover, big bucks. I told them the cover is in great shape all I need is the foam. They told me they can’t get the foam or install it if they could. I asked if anyone just bought foam and made their own and they said some people did.

I drained it for my normal water change and while it was empty I unzipped and removed the heavy foam slab and the plastic wrap had become brittle and had cracks. The foam looks perfect just full of water. I removed the plastic and sat it out in the sun on saw horses and after a couple days it seems to be getting lighter.

Has anyone had any luck drying and re-wrapping a foam cover insert? 

Hot Tub Forum

Waterlogged cover.
« on: September 02, 2022, 12:24:48 pm »

CanadianSpaTech

Re: Waterlogged cover.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 04:56:45 pm »
Have you tried a shop vac? To re wrap 6mil plastic and tuck tape. If you could find or make a large vacuum bag and attach a shop vac it would suck the moisture out of it. A cover manufacturer (not reseller) can easily make one.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 05:08:21 pm »
I've had customers attempt to dry out foam cores many different ways mostly without any success, best thing you could do is buy a new cover before someone slams down your current cover and it damages your shell, I've seen covers so heavy they have actually cracked around the 'opening' where it's cut out for the topside controller when they were dropped or slammed close.

I don't sell foam cores either, between what they charge for them + shipping costs it makes 0 sense for the retailer and for the consumer vs just buying a new complete cover.

Good Luck!

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 04:03:51 pm »
Thanks guys.

Leaving it in the sun for a week took maybe 1/3 the water out and then it hasn't changed much. It is made from an open cell foam, but then was skinned over or coated to kind of seal the surface, then wrapped in a single layer of thin clear wrap and tapped up. I think the skin is what is making it dry so slow.

My plan now will be to buy a 4x8 piece of foam the right thickness and make a insert and double wrap it and tape.

I can see where you could crack the tub dropping a waterlogged cover.

I also can see they could make a much better design than what I have.

Wish me luck.

Ripper238

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 06:14:22 pm »
Bring it to an amusement park and have it go for a ride on the Rotor-ride, it will force all the water out by centrifugal force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz_DkRs92pM
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 06:17:12 pm by Ripper238 »

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 09:47:31 am »
Well all the parks are closed for the season here so the spin ride won't work.

I did place the foam in the garage for the winter and we will see what sitting for months will do.

I went to the building center and bought two 4x8 foam sheets one 2" thick and one 1.5" thick and placed them together and cut them out to the shape of the waterlogged sample. I tapped them together with gorilla tape and wrapped them in 3 layers of 7 mil plastic taping the joints 150%. total cost for foam tape and plastic was around 100 bucks. Crammed it into the cover and i'm back in business.

The foam was owens pink foam and looked to be a good replacement.

It is light as a feather again, lays flat and hopefully will get me a few more years out of the old cover.

Wish me luck.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 09:47:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42