What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Considering American Whirlpool⁹  (Read 3324 times)

babs75

Considering American Whirlpool⁹
« on: May 24, 2022, 03:55:53 pm »
I am thinking about purchasing an American Whirlpool spa.  I cannot afford a Hot Springs. Super expensive where I live. I felt for the money that the American Whirlpool would be what I needed and I liked the idea of the removable insulation. We used to have a full foam hot tub over 10 years ago and when the leaks started, the repairman had to literally tear out all the insulation to find them.  Huge mess.  The American Whirlpool dealer is very close to where I live and super nice people.  I'm looking at the 471.  Any new feelings about this brand?   I hear the steel frame could rust.  It rains a lot where I live but I don't live near saltwater.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 04:49:40 pm by babs75 »

Hot Tub Forum

Considering American Whirlpool⁹
« on: May 24, 2022, 03:55:53 pm »

cranbiz

Re: Considering American Whirlpool⁹
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 09:47:01 am »
American Whirlpool is a Maax Spa company. Maax is not high on the list of manufacturers that I would consider. The steel stand is because the shell is not self supporting, meaning a thinner shell. For the most part, they use Gecko electronics, which most consider not as good as Balboa.

However, if the price is right AND the dealer has good reviews and an in house service department, then you can still get many years of enjoyment out of one.

What other dealers are in your area? Do you have a Sundance, Jacuzzi, Artesian, Marquis or Bullfrog dealer within an hour or so of you?

babs75

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 04:29:00 pm »
I have Sundance/Jacuzzi dealer a few miles away but I had heard some bad stuff about their spas and not sure I wanted to go there.  Our last spa from 10 years ago was a Marquis.  Had soooo many problems. It became very expensive. Not going back there.  We do have an Artesian dealer.  He said he was out to 2024 for ordering a spa but had some things coming in that he ordered at the beginning of covid but they weren't spas I was interested in and he seemed to be a bit of a 'used car salesman'. Wasn't impressed.  Bullfrog might be ok but don't care about he interchangeable packs.  My husband and I are in our mid/late 60s. We don't need something to last 20 years because we probably won't be here by then anyway!

cranbiz

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 05:12:23 pm »
Sundance/Jacuzzi Spa's are very good quality and have a good reputation, solid shells, great insulation and off the shelf Waterways jets and Balboa components. If the dealer in your area is the issue, then yes, don't buy one simply because your dealer is your lifeline. If the dealer is good, then go talk to them. Ask questions and see if you can wet test a tub that interests you. If the Artesian dealer didn't make you feel comfortable, same thing, don't buy one. Especially if they don't have a unit coming that you don't like.

That leaves you with the American Whirlpool. As long as you go into this with your eyes wide open and not expecting the world out of it's performance and longevity (and again, not paying Jacuzzi pricing, it would have to be a good price for me) AND have researched the dealer for the things I mentioned earlier, go for it. It's going to be your tub, not mine. If your expectations are not for a 15-20 year tub, you should be just fine (and who knows, you might get that 15-20 years).

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 06:19:05 pm »
what's the price point? also what is the warranty? can't find it anywhere on their website which I don't like, doesn't look like a bad 'value' spa though as long as the price is right

babs75

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 09:47:17 pm »
Went to the local Jacuzzi dealer in town only to find there is no show room. Just a place to order a tub. I did suck it up and go to Marquis but frankly, really, maybe my age is showing, I did not like their style of tub. Didn't interest me.

Warranty on American Whirpool is 5 years per the dealer but I haven't seen it in writing yet.  Price range we're looking at is $10,000-$11,000.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 01:24:22 pm »
American Whirlpool is a Maax Spa company. Maax is not high on the list of manufacturers that I would consider. The steel stand is because the shell is not self supporting, meaning a thinner shell. For the most part, they use Gecko electronics, which most consider not as good as Balboa.

However, if the price is right AND the dealer has good reviews and an in house service department, then you can still get many years of enjoyment out of one.

What other dealers are in your area? Do you have a Sundance, Jacuzzi, Artesian, Marquis or Bullfrog dealer within an hour or so of you?

I believe Artesian is using gecko controls nowadays and I know Bullfrog is. At that 10-11,000 price point the American whirlpool isn’t a bad option. How about X series bullfrog?  Did you look at those   They don’t have the jet packs. Built more like a traditional hot tub

Sam

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 03:31:43 pm »
Artesian is only using gecko on the south seas line, and only temporarily due to supply chain issues.  They have proven to be very reliable so far.  Honestly, we have more problems with Balboa than gecko these days.

babs75

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 04:37:08 pm »
From the looks of American Whirlpool's website, they have changed to Gecko.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 06:20:41 pm »

this should be the farthest item down on your list of 'reasons to buy this model' 99.9% of consumers don't even know what brand of controls are inside the spa.  I've sold Gecko, Balboa & Private Label stuff over the past 15 years and they both work just fine and carry similar/same failure rates imo, don't even worry about it, it's the least of your concerns when buying from a reputable dealer carrying a reputable brand.  Top sales pros won't even bring this up on the sales floor because it is so insignificant in the grand scheme of a hot tub purchase.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 08:01:57 pm »

this should be the farthest item down on your list of 'reasons to buy this model' 99.9% of consumers don't even know what brand of controls are inside the spa.  I've sold Gecko, Balboa & Private Label stuff over the past 15 years and they both work just fine and carry similar/same failure rates imo, don't even worry about it, it's the least of your concerns when buying from a reputable dealer carrying a reputable brand.  Top sales pros won't even bring this up on the sales floor because it is so insignificant in the grand scheme of a hot tub purchase.

+1. That was my point exactly

Sam

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 02:17:40 pm »
Agreed.  Gecko has improved significantly over the years.  It honestly feels more reliable than Balboa to me lately, but either way it shouldn't be a reason to avoid purchasing a hot tub from a reputable dealer.  And this is coming from someone who absolutely hated gecko 15 years ago.

The problem is that guy in Canada who insists certain things are important that really aren't.  Just like he said waterway jets were the only way to go, until master spa switched to cmp.  Then cmp became ok.  Unfortunately the guy has a huge reach and people think he knows everything about every hot tub ever made and every component manufacturer.  It's frustrating that people take his word at gospel. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 06:43:21 pm »
Agreed.  Gecko has improved significantly over the years.  It honestly feels more reliable than Balboa to me lately, but either way it shouldn't be a reason to avoid purchasing a hot tub from a reputable dealer.  And this is coming from someone who absolutely hated gecko 15 years ago.

The problem is that guy in Canada who insists certain things are important that really aren't.  Just like he said waterway jets were the only way to go, until master spa switched to cmp.  Then cmp became ok.  Unfortunately the guy has a huge reach and people think he knows everything about every hot tub ever made and every component manufacturer.  It's frustrating that people take his word at gospel.

Plenty of Masters coming with LX pumps right now. I notice he doesn’t say anything about that either

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 07:09:58 am »

Who Me...lol

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 07:05:58 am »

Plenty of Masters coming with LX pumps right now. I notice he doesn’t say anything about that either
[/quote]

I see the LX pumps in a lot of "Top" rated spas these days (Jacuzzi/Sundance and others) I have no issue with them they have been very reliable and parts like seals and impellers and wet ends are readily available now.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 07:05:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42