What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Choosing between new CalSpa Avalon and Used Caldera Martinique?  (Read 3632 times)

Faith1112

Found a used 2019 Martinique for $7500 (will negotiate) and priced a new Cal spa Avalon at 11,400. My box is set up for a Caldera 20-30 (previous homeowner), so to do a new 50 amp I would have to pay between 1500-2000 maybe. What is the best option?

-Martinique would need to have it moved (found a service), unsure of durability, but like the saltwater option. Guy said he paid 14k+ for it. Prob ends up at about $7k total (negotiate on price and pay for moving/installing), moved and installed.

-Avalon would be new, more jets, price includes everything (minus electric).  So, total could be $13k

Any other brands everyone recommends if we can spend $13k for it? First-time buyer. Saltwater would be neat option, but more concerned with longevity and performance.

Thank you in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

cranbiz

Re: Choosing between new CalSpa Avalon and Used Caldera Martinique?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 02:08:37 pm »
Sounds loke a lot of money to do a fairly simple electric change over. The issue with the Caldera is no warranty.

Can you see the Caldera running to verify that it doesn't leak and everything functions? The Watkins tubs are good tubs but expensive to fix. Do you have a dealer in the area that will work on a Watkins product? A good dealer is your lifeline.

Personally, I like Artesian tubs but the right CalSpa is also a good tub. Most important is how you fit in it. Is if comfortable? do you stay put in the seats? Do the jets do what you want? Can you wet test your candidates?

Faith1112

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 03:11:18 pm »
Thanks for the reply.
I am planning to go to the showroom and look at the Cal Spa. The Martinique has water in it and can check for those issues. Yes, that is my worry. The salt water sounds neat, but it is far fewer jets and no warranty. So you think quality-wise Cal Spa and Caldera are equals?

cranbiz

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 09:02:49 am »
The Avalon is part of the x series and those are the better Cal Spa's. Balboa controls with a circulator pump and stainless jets and full insulation. A lot easier to get parts for in the future.

IMHO, the Cal Spa is a slightly better tub than the Caldera. If the used tub was in the Hot Springs High Life series, my opinion would be different.

If both were new, it's a toss up. You would most likely be happy with either tub.

Again, the dealer support and future serviceability is extremely important. Upfront cost is of course important but costs looking ahead need to be considered as well as the availability of quality service.

If salt water is important, remember you can buy an aftermarket unit like the Saltron Mini to drop in and do exactly what the Watkins Fresh Water system will do and probably much cheaper to run over the life of the tub.

Faith1112

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 11:06:47 am »
Thank you for the info. The dealer sent me over three Jacuzzis that are coming in next week. Are they better? Are Hot Springs the best? Looking to stay at that $11k price point. The Jacuzzi was a J-275.

cranbiz

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 11:50:56 am »
I wouldn't buy a J200 series. Those are not anywhere as well insulated. The J300 series are far better tubs.

Best is subjective. In my opinion, Sundance, Jacuzzi J300 and J400 series, Hot Springs, high end Cal Spa, Marquis and Artesian are the ones you want to look at. Bullfrog is decent but I'm not all that crazy about the ABS shell.

Faith1112

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 12:13:32 pm »
Got it. Seems like the J-300 or over start around 15k. We are in Southwest Virginia, not super cold winters, but we have some colder weeks.
We don't have an Artesian dealer close by. I will check on pricing for the Marquis.
I understand the subjective part, just trying to make the best decision I can. We have four local dealers, two have been very responsive, Jacuzzi and Cal Spa/Viking. The Hot Spring/Caldera one has been tough to get a response. I will reach out to Marquis.

Any thoughts on jets and such? Like the Avalon has 60+ is that a significant difference? AVALON EC-867L
Thank you for the responses, we are trying to be good stewards of our purchase and get one that will last the best. The Cal Spa rep has been very helpful and he is the repair contact as well. The jacuzzi people have been good as well. Getting the estimate for the box switch today.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 01:29:27 pm »
Spend as much time vetting the dealer as you do brand and price. Spa is no good if you can't get timely service when needed. What is the warranty? Is it prorated over the life of the warranty? Do they provided service in house or do they farm it out to a 3rd party. What is their service reputation? Do they charge a "Trip" fee. Most warranties the factory covers a set amount to the dealer for time on site but don't cover their drive time to and from. This can range from $0-$200 per.

castletonia

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 08:24:30 pm »
You're not going to find many people with a positive outlook on Cal Spas.  I am a Caldera and Hot Spring dealer, but I did sell Cal Spas years ago.  Their entry level products were not bad for the price, but the more expensive ones with more "bells and whistles" had more issues than they should have.  The biggest issue in my opinion was that Cal Spas did not stand behind their product.  Consider the warranty non-existent.  From the few dealers that I have spoken with about Cal over the last few years, nothing has really changed.

Even though I really do believe in the product that Caldera makes, I'm not going to say they are the only quality game in town.  In addition to them, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Bullfrog, Artesian, Marquis and D1 all make great products.  Use their dealer locators to see what is available to you if you want additional options.

Jet number is irrelevant in my opinion.  Jet type and placement along with being properly powered is more important than having a specific number.

Faith1112

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 07:34:39 pm »
Thank you for the info. So how would I know if the used Caldera is good? He said it is a 2016 model, and bought it locally from the Caldera dealer.
My house is already wired for the Caldera 30/20 so it would save me 1500 and the tub is much cheaper. The dealer said the Martinique costs 15k new.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 06:04:22 pm »
Thank you for the info. So how would I know if the used Caldera is good? He said it is a 2016 model, and bought it locally from the Caldera dealer.
My house is already wired for the Caldera 30/20 so it would save me 1500 and the tub is much cheaper. The dealer said the Martinique costs 15k new.

Is the Martinique 2016 or 2019?  You have mentioned both years. 2019 for 7k is decent value, 2016 you should be able to do better on price

Faith1112

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 08:25:58 am »
The ad said 3 years old, but when I asked about the warranty he said 2016, so the 5 years was up.

castletonia

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 12:36:03 pm »
You need to see the Martinique running.  I would want to verify if can heat to 104, that both pumps run with no leaks and no unusual noise, that the circulation pump is running quietly and smoothly.  What kind of shape is the cover in?  Are all jets still working or will some need replacement?  How about the headrests?

Because you don’t have a warranty, condition is everything.  Condition and price will be related.  Because of the current inventory situation, $7,500 could be reasonable if the condition is good.  I would always try to negotiate because the worst they can say is no.  Keep in mind the seller didn’t pay $15k back in 2016.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 12:36:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42