What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub not heating very fast  (Read 2324 times)

seethatdotca

Hot tub not heating very fast
« on: March 25, 2022, 12:07:56 pm »
Hi, this is my first post, hopefully I've followed the correct procedure to post. If it's in the wrong directory, please let me know.

Here's my problem. I live in Canada and at the end of last season (beginning of winter), I noticed the temperature of the hot tub dropping. It was due for a water change so instead of fixing the problem then, I decided to drain the water and wait until Spring. It's worth mentioning that I had changed the heater 1 or 2 years earlier... and I bought two titanium heaters at the time. Last weekend, I replaced the heater again (just in case), added water and turned it on. At first the hot tub was showing (IC) for ice because of the cold but after a few days it went up to 60 degrees. That's the temperature it's at now and I only gain about 1 degree every 12 hours or so. I removed the filter to rule that out as a possibility. I'm wondering what else could cause the heating issue. Would it be the circuit board? Any help is greatly appreciated before I call a technician to take a look at it. Thank you.

The hot tub brand is InnovaSpa, Urbania model, hooked up to a dedicated 110v outlet.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub not heating very fast
« on: March 25, 2022, 12:07:56 pm »

seethatdotca

Re: Hot tub not heating very fast
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 10:36:08 am »
I verified the heater with my multimeter (ohm) and it looks fine. I tried to get a volt reading on the heater's power and didn't get anything. The control board shows it's heating so I suspect something is preventing the power to get through, probably a relay. I removed the circuit board and I can't find any burn marks or anything abnormal. I don't know what else to try, other than buying a new board.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 07:47:44 am »
If you don't get power coming off the board when the heat indicator LED is solid and not just flickering the yes you likely have a bad relay. Relays can be replaced cheaper than a new board.

seethatdotca

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 09:09:40 am »
The relays on these boards do not just come out. They don't have any posts to jump them either. Are you suggesting soldering new relays on the board as a cheaper option? I wouldn't be comfortable doing that myself and I haven't heard of any technician willing to do that either. Who would I contact for that kind of service?

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 07:20:03 pm »
There are repair options but you have to send and wait. I use a local electronics repair guy here in Ont. Canada. Phone around and you should be able to find someone local that repairs circuit boards. Are you sure it's a relay?

seethatdotca

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 10:52:23 pm »
I can't be sure, I'm not able to test each relay. I just know there is no power going to the heater, while there's power everywhere else (controller and pump). I was just told that they don't make replacement relays for these boards. It's a Balboa VS100. That seems strange.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 07:17:59 am »
If you disconnect the heater from the board and test white to black at the circuit board connection when the spa is calling for heat and the heat indicator LED is solid and not flashing you should get 120V if you do replace heater element if you don't then you are in for a board or a board repair. This link might help. Some part numbers near the bottom of the post that you can see if they match with what you have. Google them. https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51404-which-relay-for-pump-to-replace-balboa/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 07:17:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42